NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2022, 03:47 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Default Interesting dilemma: liquidation percent off?

So I've had a booth in an antique mall in Destin for the past 2.5 years. On Monday, someone traveling through the area stopped in and reviewed the items in my booth, where I have probably 100-150 cards priced between $50 and $500 each.

He asked the mall employees to call me to see what discount I would give on the entire lot. Figuring there were probably at least $10K in list prices, I said that I would give a 40% discount on the entire lot. He then decided to select a smaller group, totaling $3,300 in list prices, and called back to see what I would give as a discount on this group. I responded $2,500, basically 25% off. The buyer passed on both options.

So, what type of bulk discount on this type of lot would you have offered? What discount would have made you take the whole lot?

In my case, I probably have half the list price invested in each of the cards for sale. So if I buy a card for $200 intending to resell, I usually would price it at $400 and wait for it to sell, as Destin is a great location for vacationers and gets really busy when it's raining on the beach. And when an item sells, the mall would take a 10% of sale price as commission. So if I sold $10K in cards at 40% off, I would get $5,400 on the sale (well, subtract another 3% - $165 - if they pay with credit). So the 40% off discount would have guaranteed me only a slight profit.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Your offers seem very fair to me assuming your initial pricing was also reasonable. I would only have gone further if I really needed cash or just wanted to wash my hands of the whole thing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:11 PM

John, I agree with Peter. Your discount seems more than reasonable (assuming they were reasonably priced in the first place). I think you were dealing with a bottom feeder.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Chris Eberhart

What is your definition of “list price” ?

Last edited by nwobhm; 05-27-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:39 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
What is your definition of “list price” ?
The price I have them marked at in the store. So, retail. In the past two years, I've sold $20K in my booth at the mall. So my prices are reasonable, but not cheap.
But the cards I sell are nicely presenting mid-grade star HOFs, HOF autos, HOF RCs, etc. Some graded, most raw.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:50 PM
Drew W@i$e

I will be honest with you. I cringe when I hear bulk discount and it rarely works out.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:02 PM
Johnny MaZilli

People who say they want buy it all what kinda deal can you work will usually always say that still to much no matter what you say. They want to pay around 25% of its value. It’s terrible they’re cheap as hell. Like better said above unless you wanna wipe your hands of it and move on it usually doesn’t work.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:13 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

It sounds like you came out ahead on both of those ‘deals’.

Cheers,

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:17 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
People who say they want buy it all what kinda deal can you work will usually always say that still to much no matter what you say. They want to pay around 25% of its value. It’s terrible they’re cheap as hell. Like better said above unless you wanna wipe your hands of it and move on it usually doesn’t work.
Exactly. And then they act surprised (and a bit offended) when their ridiculous offer isn't considered.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
People who say they want buy it all what kinda deal can you work will usually always say that still to much no matter what you say.
Yeah, I figured it was a person interested in opening their own shop, and looking for inventory they could just keep my pricing on and so whatever discount they negotiated would be their profit margin as well.

Interesting thing is that these offers came over multiple days. I had no problem not selling at a steep discount, since these are solid cards and Destin has new vacationers/customers every week during the summer. I sold $500 in smaller priced cards ($3-99 each) the following day after the last offer was not taken. So they'll all sell over time. No reason to liquidate in my case.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:36 PM
Frank Wakefield

John, I think both of your offers were good ones. And I don't think you should keep haggling. Let him walk away, he may be back. And if he waits a while your prices might creep up.

I figure if you needed quick cash you'd have already sent another offer before posting here.

At least you still have the cards at the booth, it's gonna be a busy summer, you may well sell them for more this summer.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:00 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If I had a dollar for every tire-kicker I've dealt with I'd be retired right now. It even happens in my law practice. A client is eager as hell to get a lawsuit going until I ask for a retainer and then...crickets.

You're better off having that guy just move on. Thought he was a big shot, gonna take the rubes for their cards . Yeah, that worked out well. Guess he forgot about the information superhighway.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-28-2022, 08:23 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The price I have them marked at in the store. So, retail.
I’m not saying this is you or your prices. However, some sellers don’t realize that the high-water mark has crested. Some sellers still have March 2021 prices listed, and will not really budge.

If this was your situation, then the bulk discount would’ve probably only pulled the lot down to current retail, which is not a discount at all. This would make your “discount” unreasonable.

Last edited by Tyruscobb; 05-28-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:27 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
John, I think both of your offers were good ones. And I don't think you should keep haggling. Let him walk away, he may be back. And if he waits a while your prices might creep up.

I figure if you needed quick cash you'd have already sent another offer before posting here.

At least you still have the cards at the booth, it's gonna be a busy summer, you may well sell them for more this summer.
+1 Agree

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-28-2022, 08:45 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I just want to know one thing... Where is this store located?????
I was down there last Xmas, and would of loved to visit and bought items.
I was down towards the Baytown Dwarf.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:48 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Smith's antique mall, Highway 98 at Holiday. We're starting to get card shows back in the area. There was one two weeks ago in PCB and one June 25 in Milton (near Pensacola).
Old 05-28-2022, 10:52 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I’m not saying this is you or your prices. However, some sellers don’t realize that the high-water mark has crested. Some sellers still have March 2021 prices listed, and will not really budge.

If this was your situation, then the bulk discount would’ve probably only pulled the lot down to current retail, which is not a discount at all. This would make your “discount” unreasonable.
Values have dropped 40% in the past 14 months??
Old 05-28-2022, 11:09 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I tend to agree with those that said you attempted to do right by the offer and it still wasn't accepted. I (and my wife) were in an antique mall for over 20 years finally getting out in 2020. We used to run into similar situations (although not cards). If we priced something at 25% off they would want 30% off, if we agreed they would say they would "think about it". I find it absolutely fantastic that you are able to do so well with cards in your mall. I would, from time to time, try and sell some of my older cards in the mall we were in with no success at all.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:42 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Values have dropped 40% in the past 14 months??
I did not say the market has dropped 40% since March 2021.

My point was that the analysis - whether the 40% discount was a great deal - hinges on whether the cards were accurately priced to reflect the current market, and not one that no longer exists.

If the marked prices, which some dealers are still using, reflected the market’s peak then a 40% discount is potentially not that great for a bulk purchase.

The poster said the cards were collectively marked for $10k. A 40% discount means that he wanted $6k. However, if the current market for the collective cards is only $8k, and he wanted $6k, then this is really is only a 25% discount.

It’s all relative.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Understood. I wasn't going to sell them at a loss. I was just trying to gauge from other sellers their views on selling in quantity. My experience was just to kick off discussion.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:49 PM
Luke Lyon

Depends on a ton of factors, but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't have offered that big of a discount unless I had another 10k in cards to fill the display with. It's hard to find inventory and it takes time. You'd basically be breaking even on all those cards that you spent time trying to acquire. Breaking even is fine and a pretty good option for most people who don't spend much time on the hobby, but you sound like you are spending time and money to try and make a few bucks.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:42 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I did not say the market has dropped 40% since March 2021.

The poster said the cards were collectively marked for $10k. A 40% discount means that he wanted $6k. However, if the current market for the collective cards is only $8k, and he wanted $6k, then this is really is only a 25% discount.

It’s all relative.
That's a different scenario than a 40% discount bringing prices to current retail. But it is still indicating an overall 20% drop in value that I haven't seen in baseball.