NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-29-2011, 05:17 PM
David M.

Default Is This OC?

I was looking for opinions from the board. Would this card be worth resubmitting hoping for an 8, or should I resubmit and ask for no qualifiers? Or should I just leave as is?

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 04-29-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Maybe PSA forgot 54's don't have a top border...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Chris

Wow that's a long bar code... I would crack it out if you are going to send it back in. I never and I mean never send a card in it's slab for a regrade.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM
David M.

I know, that bar code is really long! I guess that's the way some of the early ones were.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 AM

The left/right centering makes my eyes go crossed. That is most likely the problem.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Greg

PSA was much tougher on OC prior to 1999. That's a vintage holder,
I had a '54 Mays that was resubmitted and did not come back OC ten years later. I sold it , then upgraded. I still have my '52 7 oc, that is also probably worth a resubmit, but it looked so nice anyway, I never bothered - cause it ain't for sale. I think it's worth the resend.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Jason

Default not for nothing, but...

I would sell that card rather than try to re-grade.
It looks like a PSA 6 to me because of the left to right centering and it could just be the scan, but to me the top corners look way too soft/touched for an 8 of any kind.

At least, with my luck, if I sent that card in, I would have gotten a 6!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:02 PM
David M.

I think the scan may be a bit fuzzy itself. I pulled the card out and looked at the corners and they are actually quite square. However, I've had similar luck on submitting cards! You never know what may happen. Here's another scan. Maybe it's better.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 04-30-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Travis W.

in my humble opinion the left/right centering is almost certainly what gave it the qualifier, and rightfully so. I'd wager that if you resubmitted this it'd probably come back as an 8 o/c again, or possibly a 6 or 7 with no qualifier.

It's a tossup. Some graders seem to look at a card and say "well it meets all of the criteria for an 8 except for centering so I'll call it an 8 OC" where others will look at it and say "well the centering on this card is only 65/35 so its a 6." Just depends on who you get I suppose...

A lot of people say that a qualifier immediately knocks it down about 2 grades in terms of 'value' and that's probably true. But if I'm looking to pick up a card and I have a choice between a PSA 6 with no qualifiers or a PSA 8 OC, I'd most likely take the 8 OC because its going to have a cleaner surface, sharper corners, & cleaner edges than a 6 would. To me, it being offcenter is a fair trade off for better quality on the other 3. That's just my take...

So, long story short...I'd keep the 8 OC rather than resubmit it asking for no qualifiers and most likely get back a 6.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckydent View Post
PSA was much tougher on OC prior to 1999. That's a vintage holder,
Correct, that is a vintage holder and today that maybe not O/C but on the other hand, it may not be an 8. I think there is a thread on another board about a 63 Rose in this same type holder that is O/C and is better centered then this one. Looks like PSA was tougher on centering rules related to the grade back in the earlier days just like SGC was very lax on centering at that time.

Last edited by sox1903wschamp; 05-01-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-02-2011, 11:30 AM
J@RR0D

If the corners are sharp as you say, I think it could come back a 7 with no qualifiers.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
David M.

That was my thought too. I figured it's at least a 7 based on my other submissions and may come back a straight 8!
I saw this card in a current auction. It looks more OC than my Whitey Ford, so I might have a chance of getting a PSA8.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 05-03-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Larry

It looks to me like the front is within PSA's guidelines for centering for an "8," which are: "approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse." Although it appears the bottom may have a slight angle cut, I believe it would still meet those guidelines comparing the bottom border to the left. Hard to really see the corners with the light background on the scan. It might well be worthwhile to crack it out and resubmit it for a chance at an unqualified "8" if the corners are good enough--SMR has an "8" at $375, while a "7" is $160. Nice card, in any event.

Best of luck,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-06-2011 at 11:22 PM.