NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Default cleaning a panorama

need some help from the experts out there. i recently purchased a serpia panorama of the 1916 chicago white sox, and while it is in fair to good condition it could use a little cleaning. i don't want to get it restored thinking that would take away the valve of it. all i would like to know is ,should i try to get it cleaned by a professional, or leave it as it is? if i did decided to get it cleaned would it take away the valve of it?? thanks for any and all help

UPDATE: I have pictures of this picture but they are too large 5.2 MB. Does anyone know how upload these pictures. I've zipped them and they are still too large. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by rookievintager; 01-12-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Adding Pictures
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Max Weder

Each case depends on the condition of the piece. Post a photo and you'll get considered advice.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookievintager View Post
need some help from the experts out there. i recently purchased a serpia panorama of the 1916 chicago white sox, and while it is in fair to good condition it could use a little cleaning. i don't want to get it restored thinking that would take away the valve of it. all i would like to know is ,should i try to get it cleaned by a professional, or leave it as it is? if i did decided to get it cleaned would it take away the valve of it?? thanks for any and all help
Generally speaking, cleaning and preserving a photo only helps the value. I know one board member always gets his high end (and he has the highest end there is) photos de-acidified and cleaned when he gets them. But posting a picture, as suggested, should elicit more expert opinions. I am not a photo expert but have dabbled.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Generally speaking, cleaning and preserving a photo only helps the value. I know one board member always gets his high end (and he has the highest end there is) photos de-acidified and cleaned when he gets them. But posting a picture, as suggested, should elicit more expert opinions. I am not a photo expert but have dabbled.
+1

Leon, if you could get your friend's advice on how to go about doing that (company he uses, etc.), I would greatly appreciate it. I also have some paper-based collectibles that really need to be de-acidified prior to matting/framing, and it's something I've never had done before.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
+1

Leon, if you could get your friend's advice on how to go about doing that (company he uses, etc.), I would greatly appreciate it. I also have some paper-based collectibles that really need to be de-acidified prior to matting/framing, and it's something I've never had done before.
Scott

I use Fraser Spafford Recci http://www.fsrconservation.com They do a fair bit of work for the Seattle art gallery and museums. They're located just across the US border

Max
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Scott- I believe he uses Graphic Conservation out of Chicago. That is also the company that did my Horner 1903 American League Composite, though admittedly it was right before I owned it. I look at that photo every single day (it's the only thing on my wall behind my desk) and smile a little each time. Graphic Conservation Co isn't cheap but they are good and they are quite well known among auction houses.

Also, I suggest you call them and chat with them. They could answer any questions better than most of us, especially as the the processes they use. All I remember personally is the few times I have spoken with them they have seemed quite knowledgeable.

http://www.graphicconservation.com/

***edited to add.....I will leave that stuff above as I know they do great work...however, I emailed my friend after I posted and he said he uses this person..

I use a guy in Rochester, NY. His name is Gary Albright and his no. is 585 624 xxxx. His email is garyealbright@juno.com.

I will give out the full number to anyone, through PM, but I don't usually put others phone numbers in threads...when I don't know much about them. He must be good if my friend uses him . I don't know him personally or through business...

Last edited by Leon; 01-12-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:01 PM

thanks for all the information, and i will post some photos when i can figure out how to load them.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Default Photos

Sorry it took so long to post these pictures. It took me a while to figure out how and where to place them so they could be seen. They were too large to upload.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/...psf14e2cf7.jpg

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/...ps71721d06.jpg

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/...psdec97312.jpg

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8769dfd1.jpg

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/...psd91bba07.jpg

[url]http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p731/rftoney/DSC_3981_zpsacf78afb.jpghttp:

Last edited by rookievintager; 01-19-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:44 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Just a tip: If you put "[IMG]" before the link for your photo and "[/IMG]" after it, the linked photo will display directly on Net54 at its original size.

Using your first image as an example:

Old 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Barry Sloate

That's a beautiful photograph and from what I can see, it doesn't look like it needs a cleaning. Maybe you would be better off leaving it as is.

But if you feel you want it cleaned, by all means don't do it yourself. You may ruin it if you don't know how to do it properly.

And I too have used Gary Albright on many occasions and recommend him wholeheartedly. He does excellent work.