NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Scott

Default Help w Windows Issue.

HELP please. as many know. I have had financial issues, tho Im working for a few more days at least. Im concerned bout this XP windows garbage. Some places say I need a new computer, some just the Windows 8. I can't afford this stuff. Are there any computer experts out there who can let me know what my risks really are and what I could do? THANK YOU. u can PM if u want.

Scott
Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 AM
octavio ranzola

Scott I went out and got an I pad tuff issue to resolve. ..my I.t guy told me to get new computer I feel for you it sucks
Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 AM
Jason Presley

Windows XP isn't going to suddenly make your computer explode just because Microsoft has ended support. Just keep your antivirus and antimalware software updated, keep Java and Flash patched (if you use them) and you should be fine. Nothing has really changed since last week, there just won't be any more patches for the operating system.

However, the longer you stick with XP, the harder it will be to find software and hardware that will still work with it. If that isn't an issue for you, then don't worry about it. Whenever you can scrape together $200-$300, you might want to pick up a newer machine.

Last edited by DaClyde; 04-07-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Also note that should you decide to upgrade Windows, or to e new machine, there is a possibility that the other hardware, like printers and scanners, that you currently have may not work with the new OS.

Care to take a guess at how I know?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Also note that should you decide to upgrade Windows, or to e new machine, there is a possibility that the other hardware, like printers and scanners, that you currently have may not work with the new OS.

Tim, you're on Long Island? Come on over and we can mix and match and trade hardware and software and driver updates
Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post

In that case, should you get a machine with Windows 7, you can download "XP Mode" from Microsoft which basically runs XP in a virtual machine, allowing you to install and run old software and still use old hardware. I use it so I can still run Instant Photo Scanner for scanning cards, as well as a couple of older games.