NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 AM

Default Killebrew Things

Hello everybody, I've been looking at these forums for a few weeks now and then; nice site. I've been a Killebrew fan since I was 3-4 years old so along time lol. Over the years I picked up a few cool things, primarily before I got married, I also got to meet Harmon several times over the years, he was a great guy and very knowledgable about his memorabilia. I brought him a store bat and chair back to sign one time and he remembered me from him signing a card years before. He took the bat and said "where did you find this, it's still got the sticker on it" I told him it came from the basement of a hardware store. He said that it was more rare than a game bat and he would trade me for a game used bat. I told him I would gladly trade. I asked what made it so special and he said it was his first bat they made for retail and they didn't make many. So he signed it after admiring it for some time with people piled up behind us.
Then I took my "Killer K 500" directors chair back. He said I haven't seen this in years, he gave it to his neighbor when he moved from Prior Lake. The team made 3 when he hit his 500th HR. They made 3, red, blue and black; I have the black one I got from Dick Johnkowski (voice of the gophers) one was set on home plate for an interview (mine) one in the locker room and one in the dugout. He said he had one and his kids had the other. He was such a nice genuine man. I'll post some pics if there is any interest.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:58 AM

Welcome to net54!
Definitely post pictures! Many of us are into show & tell

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-15-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Mikeknapp

Welcome aboard, Killebrew was a class act, post some pictures I would love to see them.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 AM
H Murphy

Please post these pictures, and any other ones of Harmon K. related items. My favorite baseball player for nearly 50 years now !
Old 04-15-2015, 10:28 AM

LOVE Killebrew! I live about 20 miles from where he grew up in Payette, Idaho.

I saw a documentary on him a few years back and something he quoted his father saying has stuck with me. I have 4 young boys that all run around playing sports and wreck my house just like the Killebrews did. It drives my wife crazy. Harmon said when he grew up and he and his brothers would wreck the grass playing baseball and his mother would get upset, his dad would put his hand on his wife's shoulder and say "we're raising boys here, not grass". I bet I use some form of that quote once a week!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:45 AM

Harmon was my favorite player as well. Without a doubt the classiest player I have ever met. I actually got to know him back in the early 80's. A couple of times he sent me a letter wishing me luck in the upcoming sports season. He would always let me send him whatever I wanted him to sign in the mail and he would sign it and send it right back. I am looking forward to seeing the different Killebrew items that people have. Here are a couple of items to get it started.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Rob

Definitely post some pictures!

You guys might like this link, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb_m9jEQCDo

~*~*~
Old 04-15-2015, 03:08 PM

Thats a cool banner and pin, I dont think Ive seen those. Thats a perfect song, reminds me of growing up in MN; only we had an Olds lol.
Heres the pix. The bat has some wear and dings but it was stored in a barrel in a basement for 30 years. I got it in 91 I think from a guy that bought out all of the stock from the store. I mentioned Harmon when we were randomly talking baseball and he said he had something for me.
The chair came when I met Dick and we started talking memorabilia, he had the most incredible collection I've seen, it took me about 3 months to be able to afford it in 89-90. It should be somewhere so people can enjoy it, I should see if the Target Field folks would like to use it for some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 050.jpg (29.9 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg 051.jpg (37.2 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg 052.jpg (69.4 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg 047.jpg (71.3 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg 048.jpg (63.8 KB, 513 views)

Last edited by JCU; 04-15-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:20 PM

He said 1960 was his first bat and he could tell by the label that it was a 1960, anyone with more info I would be happy to hear either way. The end of the bat has a 4 as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 053.jpg (63.1 KB, 502 views)

Last edited by JCU; 04-15-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Skip

Killebrew signed and signed at our 2009 Nashville Old Timers banquet when he was guest speaker. Wonderful man, told great stories, was approachable and very cordial. He told how he practiced his signature so it was legible and felt that players who scribbled should do the same. Killer was awesome!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCU View Post
He said 1960 was his first bat and he could tell by the label that it was a 1960, anyone with more info I would be happy to hear either way. The end of the bat has a 4 as well
So, you never made the trade for a gamer?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 PM

No it never happened but if he wanted it more than a gamer it means that much more. He loved it as much as I do.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:11 AM

Here are a few more Killebrew items. I would love to see any other Killebrew items that are out there.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Karl Mattson

Some of my Killebrew Things:

Old 04-17-2015, 07:05 PM

Very nice collection. I love the Wilson sign. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Rob

^^^^^^ to all you guys....very nice!
Old 04-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Killer

Hi Guys:

Not a Killebrew collector myself, but I do have two neat items.

The original mold for the 50's/60's Hartland statue and an unlisted 1962 Salada coin variation. Note the angle of the name and position as well as the number and Twins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Killebrew mold.jpg (77.3 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg Killebrew mold 2.jpg (77.1 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg PC260006.jpg (77.7 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by whiteymet; 04-18-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Skip

Default Killebrew Autographed Southern Association Baseball

This is one of my prized possessions...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Killebrew Ball.jpg (22.6 KB, 323 views)
Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 PM

Here are a few more Killebrew items to keep the thread going.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Howard Chasser

Default That Fishing and Hunting guide is TOO cool!

I love that. I love finding non sports publications with popular or collected sports players on them. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:57 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr11 View Post
Here are a few more Killebrew items to keep the thread going.
Thanks so much for keeping it going. Those are some very cool items that any player collector can enjoy (do you have anything unsigned?!?).
Old 04-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Val Kehl

Karl, I didn't see a 1973 Topps Pin-Up in your fabulous Killebrew collection, but my eyes may have missed it.
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973 Topps Pin-Ups - Killebrew - front.jpg (77.4 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Topps Pin-Ups - Killebrew - back.jpg (71.1 KB, 319 views)
Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Karl, I didn't see a 1973 Topps Pin-Up in your fabulous Killebrew collection, but my eyes may have missed it.
Val
Love the Pin-Up! I actually had one, but sold it a few years back. I started out collecting absolutely everything Killebrew, but the collection got too big. I couldn't display half of it, and anything I couldn't display I didn't enjoy.

Over the last few years I've narrowed my focus to 1961-1972, and with a few exceptions I've also stopped collecting publications, proofs, non-U.S. issues and card variations (however dwr11 has a few magazines I'd still love to have and have never seen elsewhere).

If the abundance of vintage Killebrew memorabilia is any indication, Harmon was a very popular and respected player during his career, especially considering he played in "flyover country". As late as 1970, I was convinced he, and not Aaron, would break Ruth's career home run record, but it was not to be. I recall keeping a scrapbook on him that year, rooting him on to what would have been his 7th HR title - but then he unbelievably hit only 1 homer in the Twins' last 30 games and lost to Howard. Broke my young heart!

Harmon then started 1971 with only 4 homers in 42 games. Despite leading the AL in RBI that year, his knees were fast becoming a serious problem, and the last few years of his career were difficult for me to watch.

From 1959-1970, however, he was flat-out amazing, averaging 45 home runs per 162 games while out-homering and out-walking everyone in the majors. For that 12-year stretch he also had nearly 300 more RBI than anyone else in the AL. And despite those numbers, he's probably more famous today for being one of the nicest and kindest athletes ever.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 PM

I have a Game used Royals hat worn and signed by him... It's a great piece. I also met him several times and he was nothing short of amazing in the way that he would interact with people.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:44 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Absolutely awesome collection! Thank you for sharing. I met Harmon in Cooperstown a few years ago and he was such a great person. I have been looking forever for a signed 8x10 of Harmon in an A's uniform.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:40 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Mattson View Post
And despite those numbers, he's probably more famous today for being one of the nicest and kindest athletes ever.
And that's what's most important in the final analysis.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Karl Mattson

Default More Things

Harmon had an instructional booklet published in 1970 that featured ads for his line of products (most of Harmon's business ventures ultimately failed, and sadly he suffered great financial problems by the late 1980s):

[IMG][/IMG]

The booklet also featured an introduction by Al Kaline:

Here's a photo of Harmon's batting trainer (which came in a few different versions/boxes):

Not advertised in the booklet was the Snappet. This is a (unique?) promo for the Snappet toy that I bought from the Killebrew estate:

Old 05-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Rob

^^^^^ Interesting that Killebrew, Inc was located where I currently live. Any idea why?
Old 05-28-2015, 03:11 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I am a big ticket collector. Here are a few Killebrew highlights. Opening Day ticket from 1959 his first full season. He hits his first Opening Day homerun, career #12. Also the first Opening Day triple play. Next we have stubs from his 200th and 300th career homeruns. And finally his 500th ! I had to sell that one but still have the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killer59.jpg (60.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg killer200300.jpg (58.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg killer500th.jpg (41.1 KB, 180 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
^^^^^ Interesting that Killebrew, Inc was located where I currently live. Any idea why?
I don't know specifically why, but I believe Harmon's son and daughter attended BYU (and I think his daughter still lives in the SLC area). Harmon was also a practicing Mormon for at least most of his life and spent a lot of time in and around SLC - that might have led to him networking with business people in the area.

Harmon's 1971 biography was also published out of SLC.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:43 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I am a big ticket collector. Here are a few Killebrew highlights. Opening Day ticket from 1959 his first full season. He hits his first Opening Day homerun, career #12. Also the first Opening Day triple play. Next we have stubs from his 200th and 300th career homeruns. And finally his 500th ! I had to sell that one but still have the others.
Those Killebrew milestone tickets are WAY cool. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Karl Mattson

The Idaho Fishing & Hunting Guide was already mentioned upthread, but here's a pic of my copy that includes an interior shot of Harmon and his hunting partner Linda Moulton.

Moulton was the reigning Miss Idaho at the time, and she went on to become a pretty well-known ufologist, conspiracy theorist and cattle mutilation "expert". She's appeared in a number of History Channel and Discovery Channel UFO shows and written books on alien abductions and crop circles.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Al

Nice PM10 stadium pin 1 3/4 size you dont see that often..

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 04-20-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Nice PM10 stadium pin 1 3/4 size you dont see that often..
Now that's a thing of beauty!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Doug Goodman

Scored scorecard from Harmon's 2nd career HR
Old 06-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Doug Goodman

Scored scorecard from Harmon's 1st career HR
Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Karl Mattson

A couple of gas station giveaways (the 1964 booklet uses a Senators photo from at least 5 years earlier; the 1968 booklet's picture has been painted/obscured and reversed, but it's clearly Harmon):

Old 06-08-2015, 03:34 PM

Those are some incredible collections.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Karl Mattson

1965 Twins coloring book, with Killebrew cover and interior Killebrew page; also a 1970 Twins schedule with Harmon on the front:

Old 06-09-2015, 02:41 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Killebrew

Thanks so much for posting all of the cool Killebrew items. I really enjoyed viewing all of the items so far, but I especially like the odd-ball magazines that I've never seen before.

For you guys collecting Killebrew, what is the most difficult item, or is it multiple items? As a single player collector I know you'll never have it all... What are you searching for currently?!?

Keep the items coming; love viewing!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Karl Mattson

There are still 16 publications from 1961-71 on my want list. I know someone who owns most of them, but they're not leaving his collection any time soon. IMO, here are 6 of the tougher ones:

Killebrew doesn't have the collector following today that a lot of other HOFers have, but he was more popular and respected during the 1960s than some people today realize. I've documented over 50 publications on which Harmon was cover-featured just from his playing days (1955-1975), and I'm sure my list isn't complete. This is a montage I posted on net54 a few years back right after Harmon died:

Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
There are still 16 publications from 1961-71 on my want list. I know someone who owns most of them, but they're not leaving his collection any time soon. IMO, here are 6 of the tougher ones:

Killebrew doesn't have the collector following today that a lot of other HOFers have, but he was more popular and respected during the 1960s than some people today realize. I've documented over 50 publications on which Harmon was cover-featured just from his playing days (1955-1975), and I'm sure my list isn't complete. This is a montage I posted on net54 a few years back right after Harmon died:
Thanks so much for posting the publications; really enjoyed the view. Appreciate you posting the hard to find issues as well. WOW; he's on a lot of covers that's for sure and you're missing 16 issues that you know of during the '61-71 time frame. Do you happen to know if he's on any foreign issues? I collect Brooks and those are some of the hardest to come by w/him pictured. Also, some of the newspaper inserts are rather tough as well.

During the '60's as well as now I've been a Killebrew fan, even though I'm a die hard O's fan. He was just the best of his team, along w/Oliva. He sure was scary when he was at the plate; could change the game in an instant. You sure picked a great HOF to collect and even a better human being.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. The TV Times and TV Digest are very tough to track down. I have had the Family Weekly and seen the Minnesota Sports magazine on a few occasions.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Do you happen to know if he's on any foreign issues?

(snip)

During the '60's as well as now I've been a Killebrew fan, even though I'm a die hard O's fan. He was just the best of his team, along w/Oliva. He sure was scary when he was at the plate; could change the game in an instant. You sure picked a great HOF to collect and even a better human being.

I don't know of any foreign publications, but I'm afraid there are still a lot of Killebrew collectibles I've yet to unearth.

While I've always been a Twins fan, my second favorite team during the late '60s and early '70s was the Orioles. Those teams had everything - power, speed, pitching, defense, good management, team leaders. I loved to watch and follow Don Buford (I was 5'9" 150 lbs. in high school and dreamed of being a pro ballplayer, so besides Killebrew my idols were small guys who "played big", like Buford, Cesar Tovar, Joe Morgan and Jimmy Wynn).

I also (casually) collect radio broadcasts of pre-1970 baseball games, and have about a half-dozen in which Killebrew connects. Killebrew had a reputation for hitting "no-doubters", and sure enough virtually all of the home run calls I have on audio basically go like this: "Holy crap! There it goes! It's WAAAAY out of here!" (Well, the announcers don't really say "crap", but they want to). Love it.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Karl Mattson

Speaking of Baltimore, here's a Baltimore Sun newspaper insert "poster" from 1972 of the Killer:

Old 06-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Karl Mattson

Some oddball slabbed cards from my collection, most of which are "condition rarities", at least according to PSA (the next highest Killebrew Key Chain and Tatoo cards on the pop report are "2s", the next highest Scratch-Off is an "8", and the '63 Bazooka is the only "10").

The Trade Bloc card comes from a game called "Focus the Twins" that was sold at the old Met in 1965; the Key Chain card was sold with key chains and/or a "lucky rabbit's foot" at dime stores like Woolworth's in 1961.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:11 PM

Nice, Ive got the Bazooka over cut the scratch off and a pop up that are very nice. I cant find my nice rookie card but I have the one he autographed for me. I just gave a Amaco can to a friend that loves the twins. I hope it wasnt worth $1000.00 lol
Old 06-11-2015, 05:49 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Wow

Quote:
Some oddball slabbed cards from my collection, most of which are "condition rarities", at least according to PSA (the next highest Killebrew Key Chain and Tatoo cards on the pop report are "2s", the next highest Scratch-Off is an "8", and the '63 Bazooka is the only "10").

The Trade Bloc card comes from a game called "Focus the Twins" that was sold at the old Met in 1965; the Key Chain card was sold with key chains and/or a "lucky rabbit's foot" at dime stores like Woolworth's in 1961.
I've seen most of these issues before, but just not in the condition you have posted. Those are "extremely" nice looking Killebrew items. Thanks for sharing these very cool items.

In the past I have seen a picture of a Brooks Key Chain, but don't have one. I'd really like to pick one up "someday". I really didn't know how they were distributed.

The one card I've never seen before is the Trade Bloc card; such a neat item.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:56 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Buford

Quote:
I don't know of any foreign publications, but I'm afraid there are still a lot of Killebrew collectibles I've yet to unearth.

While I've always been a Twins fan, my second favorite team during the late '60s and early '70s was the Orioles. Those teams had everything - power, speed, pitching, defense, good management, team leaders. I loved to watch and follow Don Buford (I was 5'9" 150 lbs. in high school and dreamed of being a pro ballplayer, so besides Killebrew my idols were small guys who "played big", like Buford, Cesar Tovar, Joe Morgan and Jimmy Wynn).

I also (casually) collect radio broadcasts of pre-1970 baseball games, and have about a half-dozen in which Killebrew connects. Killebrew had a reputation for hitting "no-doubters", and sure enough virtually all of the home run calls I have on audio basically go like this: "Holy crap! There it goes! It's WAAAAY out of here!" (Well, the announcers don't really say "crap", but they want to). Love it.
Yeah; you gotta love Don Buford! Many never heard of him before, but as an O's fan he was key. Earl called him "the best leadoff man in the game"; I like it! Of course the other guys you mentioned were pretty decent as well, Ha!

Hmm... Never thought to collect radio broadcasts. Sounds like some good listening.

Love the Killebrew newspaper insert!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:21 AM

Wow
What a education on Killebrew items ! I also have never seen the trade bloc card. Where did that issue come from ? Was it a board game ?
I have a 1968 topps plak of Killebrew for sale if anyone needs it Thanks. Scott