NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default m116 "blues", puzzle-piece cards, proofs, handcut panels and other oddities

Saw the "Show something else..." thread and wanted to show off something not commonly seen and something even I haven't seen for a few years. As in....I almost forgot I even had any m116s in my collection at all as I've been focused on caramel cards for so many years! Fortunately, when I went to go retrieve these, they were all still where I last saw them a few years back.

But anyway, you don't see a lot of oddities coming out of the m116 set so I wanted to show off a few of mine.

Despite the fact that these cards haven't really been a part of my "collecting focus" for a long time, m116 Blues are absolutely GORGEOUS cards that are undervalued based on their eye appeal alone. In all, I have a large group of 28 blue backs total. Out of this group, 18 of them have the "LARGER, BRIGHTER AND BETTER THAN EVER!" 5 cent backs. Those players are as follows:

Brown, Bresnahan, Collins, Doyle, Davis, Crawford, Bender, Thomas, Jennings, McQuillan, Dooin, Tenney, Jones, Leach, Jordan, Donovan, Jones, Brown

I don't believe m116 blues come with any other back besides this one but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also have one "proof" (at least, this is what the card is labeled as in it's GAI AUTHENTIC holder), the Gibson pictured below. It has a smooth, white blank back, is lacking a caption and appears to be a slightly thinner paper stock than the normal cards.

The next six cards are pretty unique. They are part of an advertising piece printed on thick cardboard. They all fit together at one point but were cut apart crudely. If I line them up, they fit together like a puzzle still. The material these pieces are made of are at least 3 times as thick as normal m116s. The blacks are brownish/greyish, blank and give off the impression that they were once a part of a thick cardboard box or advertising poster, or at least a larger strip such as the panel w/ Chance in it. It's heavy like the "puzzle" cards with the crude looking back. These appear to be just like the cards that were hacked up, only still intact as a small 3-card panel.

Anyways, haven't participated in an m116 thread discussion for a while so please feel free to comment, show off your own m116 oddities, etc..etc.. I'm always curious as to what else is out there!

m116bluegroup-001.jpg

m116proof-001.jpg

m116ads.jpg

m116adsback.jpg

panelchance.jpg
Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 AM
David H.

I have picked up some M116's in the last month and really like the looks of them. I am thinking about trying for a set.

Thanks for posting the blue background cards, I haven't any of that type yet!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Nice cards Brian. I completed the M116 set a few years ago and am happy I did. I think of all the sets I have that this one is the most undervalued and has the most room for growth. Once you complete the set, you can sit back and go after back variations and the blank back cards, of which I have a few. All the blank back cards I have are blue backgrounds also...
tbob
Old 03-04-2012, 02:27 PM
H Murphy

Default M 116

Count me in as another fan of this set. I too think this is one of the more undervalued and under appreciated sets out there. Because they`re not as scarce and nicer examples are still affordable, the M 116 set could be just what the doctor ordered to attract new collectors to the hobby. Brian, the uncut Cobb/Wagner panel is still my favorite item in my collection. Thanx again.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Sean Brennan

Love those cards! Would KILL for a blank back Chance to go with this one for my team set

m116 brown front.jpg

m116 brown back.jpg
Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a "not blue" Coombs

a "not blue" Coombs

Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Great Cards, I only have a few but I hope to own a few more in the future-

Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 PM
David H.

Not exactly oddities, but they are from the Lionel Carter collection.

I picked these up from a fellow board member last month. Thanks again Mike!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Robert A

Default m116

Great cards Brian et al.

I really love the set, but might give up with 6 cards left. I always get worn out at the end.

One of my favorite aspects of the set is the fact that you can sometimes find the original envelopes that the cards were mailed to the collector in.

Rob

Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

blank backed

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-04-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

For some reason, it just seems this set never got the "push" that other caramel and tobacco issues have received. Of course, Wagner and Cobb continue to go up as do the rarities like the McQuillan Cinci card, but by and large, this set's always been a pretty affordable one with cards relatively easy to find.

Hugh - really happy you still have that Cobb/Wags panel - it's an AMAZING piece and truly something unique to have both Cobb and Wagner on the same card! I'm happy I hung on to at least one of them. So tell me, does my Frank Chance panel "count" as a card in the 24-card m116 "blues" subset, or do I have to actually go out and find the real card to be able to cross that one off the list...heh!

Sean - I dig that Brown. It's a blank back? Is it a proof or made of a different paper stock at all? Or is it just a normal m116 that just happens to have a blank back?

Adam - the Lennox has an interesting look to it. No flesh color on the face...did it miss a color pass? Same question for you that I asked Sean, is this a normal m116 that is blank-backed or is it a proof/hand cut example?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Alan U

Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting.

I was collecting just the blue backgrounds at one time, the one thing I wondered if there was a difference between why there were some that were the lighter blue solid blue backgrounds and the darker mult-colored blue backgrounds.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 PM
David R

Default Love the blues

My avatar is my blue m116 Brown, which is one of my favorites. I have the 12 blues in that half of the blues set with the original M116 envelope that they came in.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM

The two non-blue background blank backs I have are the pastel Bender and a real oddity card- Mitchell in black and white and a very much lighter weight card, it's like the E97 black and whites. I've never seen one like it and it was labeled an M116 "proof" although I have no idea if it is or not. Absolutely zero color in it, just black and white.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
For some reason, it just seems this set never got the "push" that other caramel and tobacco issues have received. Of course, Wagner and Cobb continue to go up as do the rarities like the McQuillan Cinci card, but by and large, this set's always been a pretty affordable one with cards relatively easy to find.

Hugh - really happy you still have that Cobb/Wags panel - it's an AMAZING piece and truly something unique to have both Cobb and Wagner on the same card! I'm happy I hung on to at least one of them. So tell me, does my Frank Chance panel "count" as a card in the 24-card m116 "blues" subset, or do I have to actually go out and find the real card to be able to cross that one off the list...heh!

Sean - I dig that Brown. It's a blank back? Is it a proof or made of a different paper stock at all? Or is it just a normal m116 that just happens to have a blank back?

Adam - the Lennox has an interesting look to it. No flesh color on the face...did it miss a color pass? Same question for you that I asked Sean, is this a normal m116 that is blank-backed or is it a proof/hand cut example?
I'd say missing multiple color passes

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Sean Brennan

mine seems of similar stock as the regular cards. I had four others as well, all blue backs. I think these came from a sample sheet or something directly affiliated with the company and perhaps its employees. I dont think these were off of some random advertising piece as I believe an intact one would have surfaced by now . I'm going for a cubs master set so the brown is probably my favorite card. just need a chance blank back plus an evers and tinker black back

QUOTE=shammus;973082]For some reason, it just seems this set never got the "push" that other caramel and tobacco issues have received. Of course, Wagner and Cobb continue to go up as do the rarities like the McQuillan Cinci card, but by and large, this set's always been a pretty affordable one with cards relatively easy to find.

Adam - the Lennox has an interesting look to it. No flesh color on the face...did it miss a color pass? Same question for you that I asked Sean, is this a normal m116 that is blank-backed or is it a proof/hand cut example?[/QUOTE]
Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Default Revitalizing this thread for a second to get info on my Chance

This card is on thick stock. Is it part of the advertising piece or proof?

Thanks,

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M116 Chance Blue.jpg (18.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 03-11-2012, 04:47 PM
H Murphy

Default M 116

As far as the uncut panels go, this link to a past REA auction may shed some more light on them.
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2007/267.html
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM

None of these handcut pieces, whether on thick or thin stock should be considered "proofs". All are cut from varying advertising pieces. Sporting Life had a very aggressive marketing campaign for most of the early 1900's marketing their cabinet cards and pocket publications and later their venture into the baseball "card" world with the M116's.

A true proof based on various other known issues such as T206 & T3, would have the "crosshairs" for alignment on all four sides and no text at the bottom. I have never seen an actual M116 "proof", nor one for many other mainstream sets. These would not have been available to the general public in any way. Most of the printers scrap and the few known proofs of the many tobacco and caramel card issues are from items carried home by employees, much like the plethora of sheets, ad cards and printers scrap that Topps and Bowman employees toted out in the 1950's.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Robert A

When pastels M116s are soaked, they lose the pinkish color that you would see in the portrait's face. The backs will also fade if they are soaked long enough.

Rob
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Barry Arnold

Default brian,

great thread and pics!
i have three M116s for my type collection because they are one of my favorite sets.
(typically, i've been very singleminded(pun intended) about getting just one per type).
I have a hughie jennings NM7 which I won from one of the last of Sloate's auctions. I also have a 6 Bransfield and 6 Crandall---but what's great now is that i realize I don't have a blue!!!
At least not for the next few minutes!!!
all the best,
barry
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Keep up the good work Barry
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Charlie

Like the Blue backgrounds...........This is the only M116 I own.
I picked up this Lajoie because I was frustrated I could only find nice Lajoie Portraits that were way over priced.

Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (41.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (42.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Frank

many thanks for the good wishes!!
hope you're doing well with your type collecting.
all the best, ole buddy

barry
Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
As far as the uncut panels go, this link to a past REA auction may shed some more light on them.
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2007/267.html
Those are as sexy as cards can get.

Last edited by atx840; 03-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.