NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2005, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Diamond Matchbook football

Posted By: John

I understand that this board is for vintage baseball topics, but I will assume that like myself some of you "crossover" to football collectibles as well.
I would like an estimate to the availability/realitive scarcity of the 1933 football Diamond Matchbooks. I have been pursuing a few players for my HOF collection for a couple years. With a moderate level of searching/ebaying/show attendance I have yet to see an Arnie Herber or Cal Hubbard. I have seen Grange and Nagurski offered occasionally as these are the high $ items.
After searching previous posts, I did not find any new information after 2002. Again, I would appreciate any insight or direction. Of course I will keep looking, but would like to know how difficult my pursuit might be. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-10-2005, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: effe

I collect Green Bay Packer cards and have found the Diamond Silver matchbooks very difficult, although I am down to just the Herber. I found the Hubbard on ebay a couple years back. You may want to try Ty at http://www.oldfootball.com , he usually has a few in stock. He recently sold me the Hinkle at a Sun Times show in Chicago.

Old 02-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

John--I have collected these. The silver border Hubbard and Herber are virtually impossible to find. Please email me at curl777@aol.com if you have any silver border or second series covers to trade.

Best---Jay

Old 02-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Nowadays it seems as though a lot of well meaning and nice folks are asking questions unrelated to Vintage Baseball cards. I am NOT saying delete this thread I am just pleading to try to keep this forum to it's original topic. Primarily pre-war baseball cards. I don't mind straying into a 50's or 60's question once in a while but I would really like to keep a little more focused than we have been recently. It's not MY forum but is OURS.....thanks guys and girls (btw, I know a few regular posters share my sentiments too)

Old 02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Leon,

It is difficult to express in a polite manner the feelings conjured by your response. Your veiled and seemingly innocuous comments are very safe...yet very clear. My intent when posting this thread was to gain information from individuals that had more experience than myself relative to 1933 Football Diamond Matchbooks. Thank you Jay and Effe, your information was both timely and helpful.
If you are not interested in a thread, simply do not read it. If it is of no relevance it will simply disappear. I wish I had the time to play thread critc; I read only those that are of interest to me and would ask that you do the same. Was the title deceptive? Did it fool you into believing that it was a vintage baseball thread?
I am also not concerned with "the others" that might share your opinion. If you have an opinion, be strong enough to express it as yours alone.
If this board has evolved into something that you do not like, attempt to find some other forum that serves the needs of vintage collectors. I will stay here, knowing that there are enough open-minded individuals that will help me if I have a question or concern.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I don't have a problem with the thread. In fact I thought the question/answers interesting. Duly note that Cal Hubbard is a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Personally, I'd rather read a good honest thread about Pre-War football, boxing or even Hollywood cards, than another complaint thread about PSA or Dave Bushing.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

John, I guess since i started this forum so i guess i get to play "thread critic", and I also understand what this forum should be or not be discussing.

As is stated on the home page of the forum it is primarily for the discussion of pre-wwII baseball cards, with the key word being primarily.

I personally found your question interesting and fitting within the broad outlines of the forum on a one-off basis. However, Leon was sharing an opinion (which I agree with) that lately there have been too many off topic threads which have taken us away from our primary discussion area. I don't believe that Leon was attacking your thread in particular, hence his "veiled and seemingly innocuous" comments. An occasional post off the primary area is interesting, but too many drives people away. I'm sure people would get bored pretty quickly if I started threads discussing the NHL lockout.

I take umbrage with you suggesting that Leon should be looking at other forums when this forum was specifically set up to discuss areas that he is interested in. Further, Leon has been a valuable and contributing member of this forum helping many people out with answers to their questions. Perhaps I have missed it, but I do not recall you doing the same.

Elliot

Old 02-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Administrator

What started as a simple question about '33 Diamond Matchbooks has turned into a personal debate. I have been browsing this forum for 2+ years, choosing not to contribute but rather attempting to gain knowledge in my areas of interest. As stated before, threads that are of no interest to me are simply bypassed.

I understand your concern regarding irrelevant topics, but would not have posted a question that I did not feel could be answered by individuals that frequent this board (Jay and Effe answered within an hour). It was dissapointing that my first post received critcism. I disagree that it was not a personal attack. Leon is entitled to his opinion, but call it what you will, when someone posts under my thread I will assume that response is related somehow to my question. Leon's "general" comments should have been posted as an original thread.

The irony of the entire situation is that 75% of my vintage interests are related to tobacco and caramel issues, which is why I was attracted to this board in the first place.

I will contribute when I truly feel that I can assist someone, but I would rather listen than speak. Leon is not going anywhere, I would be more concerned about discouraging individuals that are new to the board and might have something fresh and/or unique to contribute.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I said to myself I wasn't going to respond anymore but felt I should. My comment was not meant specifically at you BUT it was in your thread so my bad on that. Sorry about that. My teeny bit of frustration (good far exceeds the bad on the board) was put in your thread. I see why you construed it the way you did. I probably would have too. At any rate....if I can say...that in general, not pointing specific fingers at anyone, let's just please try to keep it primarily on topic. Several posters emailed me personally and said they don't have a problem with an occasional off topic. I've been wrong before........thanks for letting me say a little more....best regards

edited to say: thanks for the kind words Elliot, i try

Old 02-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Thanks Leon, I am glad that you understand my original frustration. This forum is a great resource for vintage collectors, I search posts often for second hand advice. My question this morning has already put me in a better position to acquire some items that I have spent awhile trying to locate. Without the individuals that frequent the board this would not be possible. I respect your position regarding posts, and based on my interests, three out every four of my threads should be related to vintage baseball.

John

Old 02-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob McKenzie

Leon,

No lie, I almost started a thread yesterday about Allen and Ginter's N8 Fish from American Waters, but I wanted to gather more information about the set before I posted. There is a really nice SGC 84 on ebay right now..

Old 02-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I'm always glad to see threads where I can come in without an iron hand in a velvet glove, or however that expression goes.

Elliot's point is correct: this is primarily a baseball collecting forum, but we'd lose some interesting threads if we were too strict. Football, track & field, 19th c. non-sport issues, maybe even fish (Rob?), ... they all have generated some good discussions. Why fight success?

Bill

BTW, I love the N288 set: