NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-28-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Your welcome Richard...I noticed your list was missing this specific variation on the 63 Topps 102 White on Red Checklist. There is a print defect/variation on the front...the # "112" on the front of the two copies I located is partially obscured. I looked through a good number of copies between ebay/DCs and these were the only two I found.
The #112 is obscured on this one, too . Edited to add this is recurring. I have two and have seen another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_12.JPG (53.2 KB, 439 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 11-28-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
The #112 is obscured on this one, too . Edited to add this is recurring. I have two and have seen another.

Nice Cliff....."obscured" is a kind descriptor in your example's case.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Richard D

Default 1963 checklist

Good find, Saved. I have it updated.
Most ones I can see have the small white blob after Cisco.
I also found another with the small white blob after Cisco but with 112 completely intact.
There seem to be some with the white in the check squares somewhat misaligned, but I saw none that struck me as significant enough to note.
Probably people will find more.
Richard
Happy holiday!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

This is a current card on ebay...a little to pricey for me to add to my print variation collection but perhaps one that someone here would like to add. It appears that the overprint is of the same card. I haven't contacted the seller to ask any more about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Topps-2...item3f41c749c0
Old 12-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
This is a current card on ebay...a little to pricey for me to add to my print variation collection but perhaps one that someone here would like to add. It appears that the overprint is of the same card. I haven't contacted the seller to ask any more about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Topps-2...item3f41c749c0
It is a wet sheet transfer and I think it is a bit overpriced also.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Larry More.y

Saw this first card end yesterday on ebay ....but could not find another example of this print defect anywhere. That is until today....already had a copy in a stack of some of my doubles. Had never seen this print variation before these two copies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Topps-R...p2047675.l2557
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61 377.jpg (78.2 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg 1669.jpg (76.9 KB, 398 views)
Old 12-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Larry More.y

Next card in my stack of 61 Topps doubles was the 381 Wickersham card with a border break(similiar to the 73s) along the top border. Found another copy on ebay....http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Topps-B...item2a28d6f0d0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61 381.jpg (73.7 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg 1673.jpg (77.5 KB, 397 views)
Old 12-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Howie Schenker

Old 12-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Howie Schenker

Default B in Bunning

Old 12-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Larry More.y

Noticed this 67 Roznovsky card today in some of my dupes....not sure if this is the same print variation noted on Richard's list or not. Anyone else have a similar copy of this card??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1265.jpg (78.9 KB, 368 views)
Old 12-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Al Richter

Default Roz

That card also has zit/blemish versus no zit /blemish versions
Old 12-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Richard D

Default roznovsky

Saved,
the card I list in my variations page is one I have never seen. I have looked for a couple years but never seen anything that I think would qualify specifically as "red eye and cheek".
many of these cards vary a fair bit on amount of red, but still I am stumped. Don't recall where I heard of the variation, but I believe Al or someone may have one...
meanwhile, this card of yours is a new one on me.
Richard
Old 12-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Al Richter

Default Roz

Zit on chin at right. Maybe looks more reddish too

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 12-07-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Richard D

Default chin?

Sorry Al, only his forehead comes through...
Looking forward to the chin.
Richard
Old 12-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightair View Post
Saved,
the card I list in my variations page is one I have never seen. I have looked for a couple years but never seen anything that I think would qualify specifically as "red eye and cheek".
many of these cards vary a fair bit on amount of red, but still I am stumped. Don't recall where I heard of the variation, but I believe Al or someone may have one...
meanwhile, this card of yours is a new one on me.
Richard
Richard, this print defect on the Rox card may be one that is not as clearly defined or as consistent as other similar defects because it appears that there are multiple variations of this defect.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Al Richter

Default Roz

For some reason Photobucket will not let me properly crop and size the Roz cards
Old 12-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Richard D

Default 1967 Roz

Saved,
You are correct, there are lots of small variations. No one has yet mentioned the light bluish circle in middle of hair above forehead, nor the short red/white lines at top of forehead at hairline. Both are fairly common, more so than the chin zits, I think.
Al, thanks, now I can see the chin!
richard
Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Larry More.y

Noticed today that this 61 242 Hal Smith card has a limited, but recurring print mark near the upper right corner. I have seen many copies of this card, but until today, I had not noticed this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61 242.jpg (72.4 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 topps 242 b.JPG (34.7 KB, 449 views)
Old 12-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default 1976 Brooks Robinson variation

Hello Everyone,

I found this color variation on this 1976 Brooks Robinson card. The blue banner and white print at the bottom of the card is unusual. I scrolled through the listings on eBay and didn't see anything like it.

Thought it might be of interest here.

Best regards,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0123.jpg (75.1 KB, 400 views)
Old 12-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
Hello Everyone,

I found this color variation on this 1976 Brooks Robinson card. The blue banner and white print at the bottom of the card is unusual. I scrolled through the listings on eBay and didn't see anything like it.

Thought it might be of interest here.

Best regards,

Joe
Very cool card. Looks to be missing the yellow from the printing process.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Very cool card. Looks to be missing the yellow from the printing process.
I agree that it appears that the yellow-less card is missing the yellow most likely due to it's omission during the printing process, but only on that card's bottom portion. To me it appears that the green border around BRobby's image is the same green on both cards (the border does not appear to be missing the yellow). In addition, on the yellow-less card, the green border does not appear to match the bottom banner(which is a greenish-blue due to missing the yellow?). Could be my bad eyesight though. Nice find either way Joe!

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 12-15-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Color variation

Quote:
I agree that it appears that the yellow-less card is missing the yellow most likely due to it's omission during the printing process, but only on that card's bottom portion. To me it appears that the green border around BRobby's image is the same green on both cards (the border does not appear to be missing the yellow). In addition, on the yellow-less card, the green border does not appear to match the bottom banner(which is a greenish-blue due to missing the yellow?). Could be my bad eyesight though. Nice find either way Joe!
Your eye sight is fine. The green in the border does not match the blueish color in the bottom banner. Its weird that the yellow would be omitted only at the bottom of the card.

Does anybody have an idea of how that could happen?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 12-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Yes Larry your description is much better than mine. After looking through some notes the yellow ink is very cheap on the 76 set and is easily removed. This card could be easily made(altered). I am not saying the one pictured is altered because I have not seen it in hand, just saying they can easily be made.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Joe Drouillard

Quote:
Yes Larry your description is much better than mine. After looking through some notes the yellow ink is very cheap on the 76 set and is easily removed. This card could be easily made(altered). I am not saying the one pictured is altered because I have not seen it in hand, just saying they can easily be made.
Thanks Ben. Your explanation does makes sense and would answer the question of why only the banner at the bottom of the card seems to be missing yellow ink.

I did examine the card with a loupe, and I don't see any evidence of tampering. Under magnification I can see no trace of yellow color in the bottom banner at all. The white in the Orioles name is identical with the white in the border of the card. The gloss of the card is also consistent top to bottom. I don't see any evidence of a chemical alteration.

Is there any way that I can test to see if the card has been altered?

Best regards,

Joe
Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Thanks Ben. Your explanation does makes sense and would answer the question of why only the banner at the bottom of the card seems to be missing yellow ink.

I did examine the card with a loupe, and I don't see any evidence of tampering. Under magnification I can see no trace of yellow color in the bottom banner at all. The white in the Orioles name is identical with the white in the border of the card. The gloss of the card is also consistent top to bottom. I don't see any evidence of a chemical alteration.

Is there any way that I can test to see if the card has been altered?

Best regards,

Joe
With your card use the best loupe you have and make sure the blue in the banner is consistant with the blue on the upper part of the card. I use a 60-100X top lighted microscope.

At high magnification the card will just be made up of blue, red, yellow, and black dots. Make sure the blue dots look exactly the same color/tint on bottom and top of card. Without any magnification you could compare the blue banner on your card to another card from the 76 set that has the blue border normally.

This 76 Topps card has had the yellow removed. 2nd card is what it should look like. They are not the same card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 033.jpg (76.9 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg yellowwilliams.jpg (77.9 KB, 394 views)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 Leaf variation

Tough to find Red cap variation

TED Z
Old 12-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I've been searching for another 1969 blue Mantle since 1987 when I acquired this one.

Does anyone here have a blue one, or have seen blue one ?

TED Z
Old 12-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I've been searching for another 1969 blue Mantle since 1987 when I acquired this one.

Does anyone here have a blue one, or have seen blue one ?

TED Z
I have seen them with a blue tint but never as blue as yours Ted. That one is very nice looking.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Your eye sight is fine. The green in the border does not match the blueish color in the bottom banner. Its weird that the yellow would be omitted only at the bottom of the card.

Does anybody have an idea of how that could happen?

Thanks,

Joe
It can happen a few ways. Some printing errors, some not.

On the printing side -
A misfeed can cause one sheet to overlap another blocking a color.

A piece of debris can get into the press. Scrap of paper, bit of cloth, plastic, pretty much anything. Good practices prevent a lot of that, but if the press operators are sloppy it happens.

Paper jam, can cause either a foldover to block part of the sheet or a chunk of leftover to become debris within the press affecting the next sheet.

A very bad jam just might damage the plate. I saw it once, but I've never seen a card that I felt was from something like that. It has to be a really bad jam, and the press has to be stopped to clear all the wreckage out and make sure it's ok to keep going. A missing portion of the plate should be obvious.

The plate can be made wrong. An obstruction when It's exposed like what made the 90T Thomas NNOF.

The ink to that portion of the plate can be blocked or shut off or run out.

The water to that portion of the plate can be way overdone.

Solvent can spill on the plate. It's usually more confined since it's usually just drips, but it IS a 70's Topps card...........

On the non- printing side-

If it sat in the sun with another card on top of it the yellow could fade in only the exposed area. You can usually rule this out if there's red in the same area as red is often the first to fade. Ben has done some really great work on fading and which colors from which years are worse than others. If he found the 76 yellow to be particularly bad it just might fade before the red.

Steve B
Old 12-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Al Richter

Default Yellow to Blue

We have discussed the blue/green issue before. I have not seen multiple Mays but have seen multiple blue Aarons with differing levels of green. I think my Mays is faded from sun. I think on the many Aarons, many are sun or light faded, possibly some intentionally after some high dollar blue sales. It could be some of the Aarons are legit, but if so, we should probably be seeing some bluish 58 common cards around. Agree that Ben's experiments on fading have been very revealing

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 12-16-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Larry More.y

In going through some 59's, I noticed this fairly frequently recurring print variaition on the 59 Hal Brown card....there is a print spot on the "r" in "brown".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 HBA.jpg (57.2 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg 59 HBB.jpg (57.2 KB, 443 views)
Old 12-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Larry More.y

Flipping through some 71s, I found two more print variations...first, the 71 173 Garrido can be found with the position partially obliterated. Besides my copy, I found just this one other copy(pictured). Second, I noticed a "bouncing" red doughnut on the 71 #207 Foster card. This recurring print spot is "bouncing" as it seems to move right to left on the few cards I found it on (on my copy, that is not pictured, the doughnut is more to the left).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71 AFA.jpg (75.5 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg 71 AFB.jpg (74.5 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg 71 GGA.JPG (44.2 KB, 432 views)
Old 12-17-2014, 01:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I had started a thread about this card, but realized it would fit in nicely here, so I cut and pasted it:

If you look at 1972 Topps #209, Joe Rudi, some of his cards appear with varying lengths of a line (hair? crack in the printing plate?) emanating from the left of his name at bottom. (These are all ebay screen grabs.) In the first, there is just a bit of a line apparent. The second shows a much longer line, and the third features this anomaly crossing through Joe and eventually reaching the top white border. It's a little tough to see in the lo-res pic, but just follow the curving line from the bottom on up and you'll see what I mean. It is also worth noting that the first and third cards also feature what I would call an 'iron burn' on the front of the card. It's a triangular dark area and looks as if someone burnt the card while ironing it. It's most prominent in the third card, where the line intersects it below Rudi's elbow.

rudi.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I had started a thread about this card, but realized it would fit in nicely here, so I cut and pasted it:

If you look at 1972 Topps #209, Joe Rudi, some of his cards appear with varying lengths of a line (hair? crack in the printing plate?) emanating from the left of his name at bottom. (These are all ebay screen grabs.) In the first, there is just a bit of a line apparent. The second shows a much longer line, and the third features this anomaly crossing through Joe and eventually reaching the top white border. It's a little tough to see in the lo-res pic, but just follow the curving line from the bottom on up and you'll see what I mean. It is also worth noting that the first and third cards also feature what I would call an 'iron burn' on the front of the card. It's a triangular dark area and looks as if someone burnt the card while ironing it. It's most prominent in the third card, where the line intersects it below Rudi's elbow.

Attachment 171523
Nice find Darren....any idea if the card below Rudi on the original full sheet has the continuation of this line along it's top edge, as it looks as though on the 3rd image you posted that the line would continue onto the card below?

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 12-17-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:50 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's funny. I have no idea whether or not the line goes anywhere else on the Rudi sheet, but I looked through the few pics of 1972 Topps uncut sheets that I've downloaded over the years and found a very interesting tidbit.

Card #607 Frank Duffy is called the 'yellow letter' version (similar to #534 Jim Hickman), but the card really just has less green in it than the 'normal' version. It's not, by any means, devoid of green. It's just much, much lighter (in some cases, verging on being non-existent). Well, on the sheet shown here, the 'normal' version is at top and the 'yellow letter' version is three cards below it. Since all of the colors of the cards seem correct, maybe the balance of green to yellow on that card was due to the actual layout of the cards and wasn't due to a lack of yellow or cyan (blue) during the printing process? But, then again, perhaps something else was at play that caused the dearth of color? Either way, pretty cool.

1972duffy.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 10-06-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Larry More.y

Never noticed the Duffy before...nice.

This 63 Topps #32 card has a unique "glowing" green spot near the left edge of the card...it is very green in hand, unlike the scan. Could not find another example though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1361.jpg (78.5 KB, 426 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Larry More.y

While flipping through some of my new arrivals, I found a copy of a 65 #596 card with a pink spot on the neck area. Found two other copies (PSA 7 on ebay) that have the pink spot on the neck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65 596.jpg (71.1 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg 65 596 b.jpg (74.1 KB, 390 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 12:29 PM

Hmmm...in 1965 Topps had to airbrush out a pink t-shirt that Landrum had on underneath his uniform, in 1966 they had to airbrush out a button in his pants. It's a good thing he didn't have a 1967 Topps card.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Larry More.y

Cliff, any ideas on why there is also pink above Don's right ear on his 65 pinkie??

Found two copies of this 69 Wert with a break in the black border of the yellow player name/position circle (right side). Had not seen this one before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69 443 A.jpg (74.8 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg 69 443 B.JPG (29.4 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 12-30-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
My fingerprint collection. The McNertney cards have varying amounts of the print shown, I have found 3 main variations with the print showing.
Just saw this mentioned on the PSA boards. I picked up this copy for 85 cents:

But I also noticed the sales information on COMC. Since Oct 1, there have been 11 sales of this card. Previous quarters ranged from 0-4 copies.

Interesting? I bought mine since my father was a crime scene analyst for 30+ years for the state of Florida before he retired last year. Just reminds me of the AFIS computer and latent prints.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Just saw this mentioned on the PSA boards. I picked up this copy for 85 cents:

But I also noticed the sales information on COMC. Since Oct 1, there have been 11 sales of this card. Previous quarters ranged from 0-4 copies.

Interesting? I bought mine since my father was a crime scene analyst for 30+ years for the state of Florida before he retired last year. Just reminds me of the AFIS computer and latent prints.
Cool card. There are 3 distinct different McNertney variations. In post #89 of this thread they are pictured along with another fingerprint card. I also picked up a 61 Fleer Al Simmons with a nice fingerprint from the B/S/T section a few months ago.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Richard D

Default Latent?

Hmm... I wonder if your dad could identify the culprit.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Cool card. There are 3 distinct different McNertney variations. In post #89 of this thread they are pictured along with another fingerprint card. I also picked up a 61 Fleer Al Simmons with a nice fingerprint from the B/S/T section a few months ago.
Yeah, I quoted your post. ;-)
I was showing that because of that post a few months ago, it probably led to a buying spree of this variation of the card on comc. See, Net54 drives sales...
Old 12-30-2014, 02:03 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
He probably could have, but that would be against the rules (unless it was for training new hires?...). Sadly, he passed away this summer. And the print will only match something if an exemplar is in the national database. So hopefully it won't match anyone, or they would have been accused of a serious crime.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
I have always figured it was Sy Berger's finger print........tough to tell if it matches the print on Ben's 61 McCovey.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Al Richter

Default Oh Oh another one

Old 12-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Ben North

Wow, Al that one with the big yellow print error is super cool.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:51 PM

I'd bet it's not Sy Bergwer on the McNelty or McCovey cards. In my correspondence with him, he said that he did not get involved with the production of the cards. Now, Woody Gelman would be a possibility.

But in reality, it is probably an unknown printer, as Gelman was in the art department,not production effort.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 12-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Al Richter

Default Who did what and why

I bet both those guys would look at this thread and say all of us need to get a life. Baseball cards to them was just a token to sell gum