NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Al

Default Profitable sell signed books on EBAY?

hello,
random question, is it very profitable to buy signed books by athletes and resale them on ebay? anyone do this?
Old 12-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian bam bam View Post
hello,
random question, is it very profitable to buy signed books by athletes and resale them on ebay? anyone do this?
Books are a VERY hard sell, even autographed. Trust me, I have been on the short end on signed books too many times to mention. You can always try it but that market seems to be near death from my experience.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I think the market for signed books is very soft at the moment. Most collectors seem to prefer items that are more easily displayed.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Books....

I would agree with the "soft" market as the previous 2 posters alluded to however, I have a sightly different take that has served me well. I have purchased signed books of celebrities or players that I like and for the cost of the book (the sig) is usually free if you are patient and do numerous searches. For example on Black Friday I bought a Jerry Rice signed book for $27 and an Elvis Costello signed book for $26.

The other thing is that if I was going to buy the book anyways to read, it is a no brainer for me.

I have sold some and although I have not made much, I typically always get what I paid back. After gently reading the book, I call that a win!

Profit angle......not so much. Enjoyability and a free read from time to time....very cool!

Peace and Mahalo, Mike

PS One of my most interesting in person book signings was with Reeve Lindbergh (daughter of Charles) and children's book author. She was fascinating, has a great auto, and an in person signed book was $20!

Last edited by vthobby; 12-08-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Al

thanks for your responses, i appreciate it. i only ask, because it seems like barnes and noble always have some very good deals. for example, yesterday some one posted a link to barnes and noble selling signed derek jeter books for $12.50 each, yes, i said that correctly $12.59 each! as could be imagines the sold out literally in minutes of listing them for sale. people were bragging about buying 20, 30, 40 books each! one person even posted that hey bought 1000 (yes 1000 books!) signed derek jeter books! of course they are all listed on ebay already for a crap load of money!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I would think Jeter is an outlier. There are probably a handful of guys so desirable that profit could be made (Jeter, MJ, etc.) but by and large signed books are not a huge part of the autograph collecting market. Cal Ripken had a signed book a few years ago for around $20, and I think that's what they still sell for today. Particularly for guys whose autographs are plentiful in other mediums, any profit you'd turn likely wouldn't be worth the time and effort. Unless of course you're in it for the free read as mentioned above, but that's not the impression I'm getting.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Al

thanks for the info. i agree it doesnt seem like they are very profitable to sell. just wondering because on another board it seems like every time someone posts a barnes and noble deal, dozens of people go and buy 25-30 copies for "themselves"

Last edited by hawaiian bam bam; 12-24-2015 at 07:24 PM.