NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Be.n C0z1n

Default Thoughts on Pele Rookie cards and some of his other issues

Eagles 33 was able to contribute pictures and some excellent comments in the previous thread. I felt that this topic needed a thread of its own, and I encourage people to comment or add anything they feel they would like.

Pele Cards in 1958.
What I Like...

Although they are not actual "cards," but rather thin pieces of paper, I feel that both the Titulares and Quigol are excellent collectables. They are part of larger sets that carry I believe to be about 150 different players ( my number could be wrong ) These cards are rare and display well in my opinion.

I also really like the Alifabolaget and the Edizione V.A.V. Figurine Calicio issues. The Alifabolaget is somewhat easy to find compared to other early issues. Mid Grade examples usually sell for between $300-$500. The "V.A.V." rookie is interesting. It was issues in a large set that features about 300 different cards. All cards feature players from the Italian league clubs, but V.A.V. issues what I believe to be seven total cards ( two brazil players on each one ) as they won the 58 world cup. Some people believe that this is really more of a 1959 issue. Unlike the Alifabolaget Rookie, the V.A.V. is very hard to find in good condition. Not sure who the other player is that is pictured on the Pele card, but if anyone knows and could share that would be great.

What I don't like...
Swedish Rekord.- Very common compared to his other issues, and It's not really a card.
Editora Aquarela- Very few people ( including myself before Eagles33 posted ) even knew about the reprinting in the 70's. Personally, I'm avoiding this issue.

Other issues-
Panini- these are your mainstream collectables, but I don't see the value, as they are very common in Europe. I think if Pele stuff really took off, the constant supply of these would create a lag in value.

1962 Naninna- Not an easy issue to find. Made in Italy. The side pose is not impossible. He has a front portrait in this set as well that is very, very hard to find.

1961 E.D.I. Milano- A beautiful card that I should have bought when I had the chance. I have only seen it twice in the past 7-8 years. Card is roughly the size of a 1964 Topps Giant Baseball Card. One of his few cards that has writing on the back.

1962 Stella.- Part of a great set. The one that is listed on ebay for $2400 is certainly on the high side, but make no mistake, this is one of his best looking early cards!

1966 A&BC World Cup Stamps- Part of a 50 "stamp" set issued by A&BC GUM in Britain. These cards are IMPOSSIBLE to find, and although they are basically stickers, they look really cool. Check out Nigel's Football Card page to see the players in the set. Really a great rare set.

Lastly, I would avoid the 1962 Tie Cup Stars Card ( I believe this is the name of the issue that has Pele along with two other players on it.) A very, very common issue.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM

I think it's a great discussion topic. Even if you aren't a huge a soccer fan you know who pele is and his "rookie" card would be a great addition to any collection. I think the Titulares or the Aligaboleget are the 2 best options for a true rookie card. The Titulares is very thin similar to early Panini cards. Psa slabs them as handcut but I don't believe this is correct. I contacted them about this but they say the sizes they gave seen was to inconsistent. If anyone has any information that would prove they are not handcut I would love to share it with PSA.

It's not in the rookie card discussion but he also has a very cool card from Argentina that I believe is from 1965 produced by Crack
Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I like the German Heinerle cards and the Argentinian Crack cards shown on prior threads. There is also a real nice B & W issue from Germany but I can't recall the name.Here is the 1959[?] Heinerle card of Pele from Germany:

I also like this one, the 1965 Crack Golazo from Argentina:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-08-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Be.n C0z1n

I agree, really like the 1965 Argentina Issue. Not sold on the Heinerle, as I like when the front of the card has at least a player name, if not a name and the team he plays for.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Be.n C0z1n

Right now you have the V.A.V. Rookie that has just been listed on ebay ( I'm not the seller ) Certainly pricy, but this card is almost impossible in decent condition.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:55 PM

That seller has a lot of really cool oddball cards but he certainly isn't giving them away. The VAV card is rare but it is available. Usually can scoop it up for about 500-700 when they pop up
Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Does anyone know where I could get a complete list of Pele cards issued ?

I am particularly interested in the one issued in Latin American and any guiding on pricing and where to get these card (outside of ebay). Thanks.

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Al, they are really hard to find. I have a connection in Argentina who sends me card offers from time to time. He knows I like Pele cards but even so has only been able to offer me two of the 1965s. They will set you back at least $200 even in crappy condition [most were pasted into albums by the kiddies].

Re the Heinerle, I like the action image. That is an interesting set. Lots of great athletes in it and even the rookie card of Meadowlark Lemon of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Or not...
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Al Jurgela

Thanks Adam. Is there a guide... similar to the boxing guide?

Thanks again.

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nope. I learned about the Pele card when I was chasing down the boxers from the set.

Or not...