NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Default It's been a while...

Posted By: Zach S.

I haven't posted here in over a year. I've been busy with work and other things and have put my collecting on hold. Lately I've been considering selling off most of my collection and keeping a few of my favorites. Have any of you guys ever hit a point where you thought about giving up on collecting? I'm not sure what to do...

Old 12-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think we all have those thoughts at times. If you do anything you might consider selling things that are replacable first...and if that doesn't bother you then you can go from there. I pared down my collection but started buying more other stuff to go in it sad.gif.....

Old 12-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I had the same dilemma earlier this year in fact. I sold my PSA 4 1952 Topps Mantle and some other cards out of necessity. I didn't want to sell them, but it put me in position to pick up some really nice cards lately so the best advice I can give you is to do what you need do to and make the best of the position you end up in. It may not be as bad as it seems!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Leon is right, my advice is the same. I sold off 1954-1967 football sets and 1955-1965 baseball sets and pretty much left the old stuff alone. I've bought and sold sets of cards like E93s and E98s a lot and each time I put the set together again it was more expensive. That's two things to consider: replacement cost and availability. If you sell off near sets of cards like D311s and 1911 Zeenuts, you are screwed because even if you have the cash, they are so tough. I learned the hard way...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

hi, glad to see you post again...

i've really streamlined my collection, and now just have a handful of really cool pieces...it's good to "clean house" every so often.

as Leon suggested, start with unloading replaceable items, while trying to keep the tuffer ones...

Best-
MS

Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Administrator

I don't know if you remember me from when I actually used to post a bit. I learned a lot from you and everyone else here on the board... thanks for that. I'm sure I won't be able to part with anything even though I should thin out the collection a bit. It's just difficult when the stuff you want to keep is the stuff that would actually be worth selling. Ah well...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Zach,

I sold off most of my collection when I was about 20, which was nearly 30 years ago. I never imagined the collecting bug would strike again. But about eight years ago, while I was recovering from a bad car wreck, I discovered eBay, and suddenly I was right back where I started. I can honestly say that I am having more fun collecting now than ever before. The biggest difference now is that I am collecting what I like versus what everybody else thinks are the coolest cards around. And I think that, more than anything, has helped make collecting sweeter the second time around. I agree with Leon ... keep the stuff that's hard to replace. I don't miss my 1952 Topps Mantle or 1933 Goudey Ruth nearly as much as all my Bell Brand football cards in their original wrappers ...

Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That's too funny. I know the feeling about deciding what to keep or sell. I have thought about selling other 20th century items but can never decide which ones to sell so I have kept them all. I pared down a little while ago as it was a monetary thing....and my finances were weighted too heavily in collectibles vis a vis my other assets. I now focus only on 20th century and it is fine....You might consider focusing on a certain aspect and that way you might be able to part with something that brings in a few bucks...and then maybe spend a bit of that new found money on the new focus. I remember getting my D304 Cobby/Martens after selling my N167 Ewing. At least it took some of the sting out of it......take care and good luck.....

Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I had to sell my cards off about a year ago and the best advice I could give is to keep the toughest cards (if you can) and sell the ones that are easier to replace, even if they are the more expensive ones.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Welcome back.
Since you indicate that your collecting propensities have waned due to being busy with work and other things,rather than being severely impacted by this horrendous economy, I would encourage you to stay with collecting as it's obviously 'in your blood' evidenced by your return here and your anguish as you determine what to do.
It continues to amaze me how much fun these little card wonders can be, even in the worst of times. Nothing can replace the history,the art,the memories,the collegiality,and the thirst for knowledge that these provide IMO.
all the best in your endeavors,
Barry

Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the words of wisdom, guys. This is why I needed to come back here... most people, especially my girlfriend, don't understand how little pieces of cardboard can be so addictive (by the way, she collects antique KEYS). You are all right and now I think that I just need to refocus my collecting habits. I used to pick up stuff at random with no particular goal in mind but I think I'm going to try to focus on one thing at a time. Rube Waddell is my favorite so maybe I'll try to work on that angle for a while to get me back into it and sell off some other stuff I don't really need to help fund it.

I knew that all I really needed was some advice from fellow collectors who understand the "need".

Old 12-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Hey, Zach

Welcome back !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Qyv3XCLI4