NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2014, 11:56 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Seller reference/review needed

I may be buying some high dollar cards.. from exquisitecards49 is the seller id on ebay....these cards aren't listed on ebay..

anyone dealt with this seller before..i know he has some high prices before but that's all I know ..
Old 12-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

He does have some nice 52's in his store. I looked at his feedback, mostly modern stuff 2000 + years within the past 6 month/year. Nothing really too expensive was sold over a few hundred. By saying high dollar, Does that refer spending near or over 1k?
By looking, anything over 1k- l i see in the store is some nice Babe Ruth merchanidise and a very cool Jackie.
The seller looks legit to me, in fact i placed a bid on something, got outbidded.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 12-13-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:01 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Default high dollar

I said they are not listed in his store..would be paypal..talking 12,000 range...
Old 12-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

You remind me an awful lot of a previous board member.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Where does a guy who deals primarily in new junk come up with a 52T Mathews in a 6? Wow.

Personally, I would not pay 12K to someone I didn't know or who wasn't well known to someone I trusted. Probably only a small risk, but why take one at all? Or buy one or two cards, and if it works out buy more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-13-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:12 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post

thanks for the very useful response.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I said they are not listed in his store..would be paypal..talking 12,000 range...
He understands that. Do you not understand what he's doing? Chris is looking at the guy's selling history on eBay, to see if he's ever sold high value vintage or pre-war cards before. If his history showed things like a 1952 Topps Eddie Mathews PSA graded, Play Ball Dimaggios, HGoudey Jimmie Foxxes, etc, that would at least show that he's dealt in high value cards before. All he's seeing are cards printed post year 2000 for the most part, and no cards costing over a few hundred bucks. Nothing to make him, or me, for that matter, expect this guy to suddenly have $12,000 of legit cards. It doesn't mean he couldn't have them, it just means historically he hasn't offered cards anywhere near that valuable before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Where does a guy who deals primarily in new junk come up with a 52T Mathews in a 6? Wow.

Personally, I would not pay 12K to someone I didn't know or who wasn't well known to someone I trusted. Probably only a small risk, but why take one at all? Or buy one or two cards, and if it works out buy more.
Couldn't have said it better myself, Peter.

If this guy has a '52 Mantle, I'm asking some questions. I'm wanting to know how he came to own it. How long has he owned it? If he's owned it for a while, one would expect he has insurance on it to prevent against theft or fire damage. Can he show proof of ownership (provenance)? Can he show proof of insurance? There's no paper trail on eBay.

What we're all seeing here would be analogous to a Yugo dealer back in the 80s suddenly selling a Jaguar XJS worth more than every car on his lot.

Before you even think about committing that kind of money to a guy that you know nothing about, and thus far, none of us have ever heard of, you best do your homework.

Me? I wouldn't risk buying a '52 Topps Mantle from him, not when there are several available from sellers that I already know beyond a shadow of a doubt are reputable. It's just not smart business practice.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:00 PM
De@n Fl!ck

For that kind of money, I'd take a road trip to look at it in person.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:04 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Default matthews

well the Matthews that I wasn't talking about..is on ebay..so if its not real you would think you would get your money back..
Old 12-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

What does he claim to have that is not on ebay? The Mathews I think will go very high due to the phenomenal centering.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-13-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Al Richter

Default Reminders

No one reminds me of anyone anymore
Old 12-13-2014, 03:23 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Default peter

whats very high..9k? for the Matthews?
Old 12-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

He has some rare cards up....http://www.ebay.com/sch/exquisitecar..._sop=10&_rdc=1

I think he is probably fine by looking at his feedback. But if it helps and it's going to be a lot of money, ask him some questions and see how he responds.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ask him if he knows Leon.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
whats very high..9k? for the Matthews?
I doubt that high, but who knows. Did you trace the card in VCP or Card Target yet?

Old 12-13-2014, 03:38 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

I haven't found it..or the even higher end cards that are off ebay
Old 12-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I haven't found it..or the even higher end cards that are off ebay
Have you ever seen one that wasn't centered at least slightly to the left? I can't recall one. Are the off ebay ones in the same serial number range?

Old 12-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
thanks for the very useful response.
I don't usually have a very useful response.

You might want to dig around some of our reputable members and see if you can source the same card/s without buying from a source that you have questions about on ebay. Is there something that is rare enough that you may not come across another anytime soon?
Old 12-13-2014, 06:30 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Have you ever seen one that wasn't centered at least slightly to the left? I can't recall one. Are the off ebay ones in the same serial number range?
no they are SGC and BVG.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
no they are SGC and BVG.
I wouldn't touch a BVG card.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:40 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I wouldn't touch a BVG card.
right me neither

if cross grade them in the holder you are serious at risk to getting evidence of trimming with psa
Old 12-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Mike P.ap

Default that might be tough.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardCollector View Post
That could get expensive, the seller lives in Hawaii!

mike
Old 12-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Mike P.ap

Default not in my case....

Quote:
right me neither

if cross grade them in the holder you are serious at risk to getting evidence of trimming with psa
I totally disagree. Over the past 4 months, I have crossed almost 100 vintage cards from BVG to PSA with very good results. Most grades were within .5 up or down and yes I had a few nice surprises and a few bad surprises but ZERO were noted as trimmed. They all graded out.

If you have been around long enough, and know who you are buying from, there can be some great deals or value in buying BVG and crossing them over.

At the recent Shriner's show in Mass, I brought a BVG 8 1948 Leaf boxing Joe Louis to SGC still in the BVG slab. It was for a friend who could not leave his table and he wanted it in an SGC holder. He got it back in an SGC 88 holder!

He sold that card at the show for a nice penny. I understand there are issues out there with all companies from time to time but to make a general statement like that sometimes does more harm than good. Just my 2 cents.

peace, mike
Old 12-13-2014, 07:24 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I totally disagree. Over the past 4 months, I have crossed almost 100 vintage cards from BVG to PSA with very good results. Most grades were within .5 up or down and yes I had a few nice surprises and a few bad surprises but ZERO were noted as trimmed. They all graded out.

If you have been around long enough, and know who you are buying from, there can be some great deals or value in buying BVG and crossing them over.

At the recent Shriner's show in Mass, I brought a BVG 8 1948 Leaf boxing Joe Louis to SGC still in the BVG slab. It was for a friend who could not leave his table and he wanted it in an SGC holder. He got it back in an SGC 88 holder!

He sold that card at the show for a nice penny. I understand there are issues out there with all companies from time to time but to make a general statement like that sometimes does more harm than good. Just my 2 cents.

peace, mike
Ok you convinced me
Old 12-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Steve A

i think there is room in the hobby for someone to make a nice business being the middle man in transactions like this. He could receive payment & the card then complete the transaction when both were deemed ok. I'd pay a bp for that service. Maybe some of the AH or dealers would but I don't see anyone currently pushing this type of service.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:33 AM
De@n Fl!ck

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
That could get expensive, the seller lives in Hawaii!

mike
Paradise with a card I wanted, what more could one ask for.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:17 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_a View Post
i think there is room in the hobby for someone to make a nice business being the middle man in transactions like this. He could receive payment & the card then complete the transaction when both were deemed ok. I'd pay a bp for that service. Maybe some of the AH or dealers would but I don't see anyone currently pushing this type of service.
I pretty sure there are insured carrier services that can do that
Old 12-14-2014, 09:20 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Paradise with a card I wanted, what more could one ask for.
The problem is, he lives inside a volcano
Old 12-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Bvg to Psa

If you crossed hundreds from bvg to psa and got no evidence of trimming you either were buying primarily collector or low grade cards or sent in the few hundred that actually aren't trimmed or sheet cut. They are getting better but still way to much out there in high grade bvg/bgs holders with trimmed edges in my opinion. Of course you can find the occasional card like the Louis talked about above, but there is usually a reason someone leaves money on the table.

Last edited by glynparson; 12-14-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
If you crossed hundreds from bvg to psa and got no evidence of trimming you either were buying primarily collector or low grade cards or sent in the few hundred that actually aren't trimmed or sheet cut. They are getting better but still way to much out there in high grade bvg/bgs holders with trimmed edges in my opinion.
Not to mention just overgraded (in my opinion).

Old 12-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Not to mention just overgraded (in my opinion).
For me personally, and for what I collect, I trust BVG much more than PSA.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I know they are some nice guys

But there is no way I agree with Leon on this.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:51 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Default right....psa v bvg

with the way psa is dominated the hobby ..if you see a card that's 1000s of dollars you have to assume that the seller tried to have psa grade it the same..

since you can submit to psa with a minimum grade requirement or get it returned, it would make no sense that they didn't try to do it..

maybe 5 years ago you could get a similar bvg 8 price to a psa 8 price from a buyer out there..but I don't think there are any other buyers out there to hold out having it cross graded and incurring the fees for..

now lower dollar cards..thats different
Old 12-15-2014, 05:11 AM
Lonnie Nagel

He has crappy photos on ALL of his stuff. You would think a guy that has a single item worth 12K could at least afford a scanner?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:25 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
What does he claim to have that is not on ebay? The Mathews I think will go very high due to the phenomenal centering.

card sold for 6400...100 less than SMR and less recorded sale on cardtarget....