NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-02-2017, 01:49 PM
je.sse @rnot

Default 51 Mantle RCs up for auction

So there are 5 of these up in the current pwcc auction in a similar range. An SGC 6, SGC 5, PSA 5, PSA 4 pwcc cert. high end, and a PSA 7 mc. It will be interesting to see where they close, but as of now the 4 is well ahead of the rest, and the qualified 7, generally thought to be the equivalent of a straight 5 is well behind. Curious to see if you guys have a favorite, or a thought as to which should sell for the most.

The PSA 4 is centered the best, but I think the SGC 6 looks better and is very well centered too. It does have the print line though.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:00 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
So there are 5 of these up in the current pwcc auction in a similar range. An SGC 6, SGC 5, PSA 5, PSA 4 pwcc cert. high end, and a PSA 7 mc. It will be interesting to see where they close, but as of now the 4 is well ahead of the rest, and the qualified 7, generally thought to be the equivalent of a straight 5 is well behind. Curious to see if you guys have a favorite, or a thought as to which should sell for the most.

The PSA 4 is centered the best, but I think the SGC 6 looks better and is very well centered too. It does have the print line though.
print lines are killers. always mantles with print lines available on ebay.

but man, now you outed this auction....
Old 02-02-2017, 05:48 PM
j.oe b.

I think the PSA4 will sell for the most because of the eye appeal and corners. It is NOT dead centered like the description says though. The SGC6 is better centered but has the print lines and the SGC5 will probably be the best value of the group.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Not sure if a new one has been added or you missed it accidently, but there are now 6 for sale with this one being the highest so far.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142261640348
Old 02-02-2017, 09:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

Irv I saw the 6th, a BVG 2.5. I thought these 5 were interesting because a PSA 7 with a qualifier, an SGC 6, and a PSA 5 are thought to have a similar value, and a nice PSA 4 might outsell them all. Also, the PSA 5 and SGC 5 have similar eye appeal and centering, so I'm curious to see how much of a difference the grading company will make. It's not often we get to see so many similar examples of a high profile card in the same auction.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:57 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Irv I saw the 6th, a BVG 2.5. I thought these 5 were interesting because a PSA 7 with a qualifier, an SGC 6, and a PSA 5 are thought to have a similar value, and a nice PSA 4 might outsell them all. Also, the PSA 5 and SGC 5 have similar eye appeal and centering, so I'm curious to see how much of a difference the grading company will make. It's not often we get to see so many similar examples of a high profile card in the same auction.
the PSA 4 is pwcc high-end certified though so its not apples to apples. We can argue all day about why would the value be more for their opinion and how that shouldnt factor into price but the reality is in ebay past sales history the certified high-end cards have sold for several grades higher than their non-certified counterparts. If all the cards were certified high end that would of made for a better test as far as that '4' is concerned

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-03-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:00 PM

I am trying to figure out why it is only a "4"...I have not looked closely but it seems to be "undergraded". Certainly has good eye appeal.

Z
Old 02-03-2017, 02:19 PM

It appears to have a lot of surface discoloration or saturation of some sort.
Otherwise it is a sharp example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
I am trying to figure out why it is only a "4"...I have not looked closely but it seems to be "undergraded". Certainly has good eye appeal.

Z
Old 02-03-2017, 02:26 PM

Can someone please explain what happened over the last 4-5 years? Why are these Mantle's in such high demand? Including the '52.

In 2010 you could've bought my '51 PSA 5 for less than $5,000 off a BST board.

Were those the golden years for buyers? Or is this a last hoorah for baby boomers who are going after their prized heroes?

By the way the '52 Topps PSA 2 pictures sold for less than $7k after fees.

I'm trying to make a comeback and upgrade but it's a tough pill to swallow with how the prices have skyrocketed.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
Can someone please explain what happened over the last 4-5 years? Why are these Mantle's in such high demand? Including the '52.

Were those the golden years for buyers? Or is this a last hoorah for baby boomers who are going after their prized heroes?

I'm trying to make a comeback and upgrade but it's a tough pill to swallow with how the prices have skyrocketed.
The Mantle's aren't the only cards that have went up considerably since then. Check out Aaron's RC, Clemente's, Koufax's, etc.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post

It could have been a lot of factors, but I think a big part of it is that a lot of collectors around my age finally have the funds available to pick up cards like those two that they've wanted since they were kids. Also a lot of guys like myself have collections that focus on rookie cards . And the Mantle is the more important and desired rookie card available.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Ke.ith Conr@d

The 51 Mantle PSA 4 while a PWCC HE and decent centering has a crease as stated in the description, so no matter how many times someone were to review and sub it would always stay a PSA 4 per PSA's grading standards. IIRC if a card has a slight crease "it can grade up to a 4" - that means this one will never bump despite the fact it is a decent looking card.