NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Default Can anyone tell me about Allen & Ginter Tobacco Albums?

Posted By: Jim

Wondering about these, content, value etc

Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The tobacco albums were premiums, consisting of several pages. The pages pictured the cards with various attractive backdrops. The pages were printed on similar stock as the trading cards, though are blank backed. There are albums with baseball cards and also albums for non baseball cards (horses, state capital cards, etc). The collector got one by sending in tobacco coupons found in the tobacco packs.

The complete baseball albums are rare and very desirable, costing in the thousands a piece. I beleive they are included in the price guides along with the corresponding card sets. The non-sport can be more affordable and you can find them with some regularity on eBay. You will see individual pages for sale, and the baseball versians can also be expensive. The pages have holes in them and were tied together, so the page itself can remain undamaged.

The Goodwin round album is the most expensive and desirable. The pages are round. This is the one album that doesn't picture trading cards, but color lithographs of the big players like Comiskey and King Kelly. There are 2 Allen & Ginter baseball albums, for the two card sets, and a Kimball baseball album for the Kimball cards.

Below is an 1887 A16 Allen & Ginter album. Notice how the pages are tied together with a string.

Below is a page from the 1887 A35 Goodwin Round Album

Below is one of the numerous non-baseball tobacco albums, also by Allen & Ginter

Old 11-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Outstanding information, super helpful.....thank you very much!

Jim

Old 11-01-2005, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

the non-sports ones. They are really colorful and you can get them for $75-$500 depending on condition and content. The Champions albums of course go for much more. There were also albums issued by Duke and Kinney and I would imagine Kimball. They are near the same quality as the A&G but seem to be a little less popular and therefore a little cheaper.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

The most recent issue of OLD CARDBOARD profiles "A & G Premium Album A16: Showcase for all 50 N28 Cards" in an article by Charles "JC" Clarke. This beautifully lithographed album contains card images of all 50 cards (including 10 baseball players) from the 1888 N28 set. The album was originally produced as a premium redeemable for coupons issued in Allen & Ginter cigarette brands. Includes an example coupon and a colorful display of all 14 leaves from the album.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Administrator

The album that I was inquiring about was sold at auction today. Wasn't sure if it was going to be a baseball or non-sport album based on the auction description.

Turned out to be a state capital/US buildings album. Fairly decent shape but some damage to the rear cover. Sold for $60.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Jim

I am currently displaying the pages from my Goodwin
Champion (N162) Album on this Forum. If you click onto
my Thread, you will get an idea of the beautiful artwork
that is depicted in them.
The Allen & Ginters aren't quite as colorful as the N162;
nevertheless, they are a great Albums to own.