NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Another OJ Question

Posted By: craig

i am in the process of finally scanning all of my OJs and am curious about one of them, Jumbo Schoeneck. not that its expensive or anything, it trimmed and skinned, but puzzling to me. the "S" in his name seems to be written in. however, it appears to be printed on the card rather than written. when i blew up the scan i can see a letter underneath but not sure what one. can any of you knowlegable OJ collectors tell me if they have seen anything like this before on Schoenecks card or on others in the OJs.

craig

Old 02-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

The card is clearly trimmed, all the way around including the ad being cut off. It looks as if the first letter of his name was somehow erased and an S in blue ink was written over it. I say this because you can still see under the blue S where a brown letter once was. As far as the very faint brown mark under the blue S it should be an S for Schoeneck. Why it was the S taken off then written over with blue, idk but I doubt it was done at the factory. Probably just by some kid. Still a neat card. It is unfortunate you have him playing with Indianapolis though, his Chicago Maroons N172 would be a very nice card.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I'll have to agree with Zach. The "S" appears to have been written in. I have attached a scan of a few OJs, one is Schoeneck and the other is Schenkel. Oddly enough they both have SCH as the first letters of their last names. The "S" did not completely make it into the picture on either card. This isn't an error card just another variation on an OJ. Hand written factory lettering on OJs is typically the same hue as the other block lettering that is on the card (at least that's what I've seen).

Old 02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Even though your Schoenecks are listed as Indianapolis Jumbo is shown wearing a Maroon uniform so it's almost a Maroon card.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

So then I would guess since the S was barely there in the first place some kid just took it upon himself to write in the S.

Yes Jay, but that is a very fine line .

Old 02-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

thanks for the opinions and humor. i figured it was just written on long ago. i just dont understand what the printed line between the written S and the printed C could be. also there is no depressions from the S being written and since its skinned i would think that it would have bleed through if it was writen with fountain pen.

craig

Old 02-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

early speed skating attire...

Old 02-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Or perhaps.....ahem....figure skating.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Kinda makes you wish for the days of steroids to arrive.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The "S" was almost completely chopped off in the cropping process of making of the card, its similar to Freds card on the left, except even more of the "S" is missing. Its almost completely gone. Then some early collector wrote in the "S" in pen. You can tell by following the border down to the caption that the "S" didnt make it.