NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default Hank Greenberg negative...

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had won the below image from eBay a couple of months ago.

Seller 'lexibell' (John Rogers and co.) had sold it in one of his first few batches of negatives from the Detroit News. I very much wanted to make the image into a painting eventually, but was unfortunately the underbidder. I guess there were just so many shots in those auctions that were incredible, so luckily I was able to get a few in the end.

Now, at first glance they might seem a bit gray and washed out, once they're tweaked in Photoshop, they're PERFECT for my purposes.

Anywho, if anyone has that shot (or any other cool ones from those auctions) and is willing to hook me up with a high res scan, I'd be happy to reimburse them for their time and trouble, whether it be payment, painting discounts, trade, or even hugs. That's right, hugs.

PM/email me if you can help!

Thanks all,

Graig
gkreindler@gmail.com

Last edited by GKreindler; 12-20-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Graig,

That is a cool shot! I wish that I had it for you.

I picked this one up the other night and am awaiting delivery

1926 Yankes and Tigers (not sure who they are yet).

Definitely not as cool as the one you're looking for, but just say the word if you have any interest.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey Tim!

I would definitely have an interest in a scan of that one. I feel like all of these negatives are so damn exciting, I feel bad I can't bid on them all. Well, I guess I could bid on them all, but I doubt I would win.

I wonder what archives they're going to put on eBay next?

Graig
Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM

i thought a negative was the image colors where reversed?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey esd10,

That is indeed the definition of a negative, especially in this particular case (though these are just black and white). The image I posted was inverted and cleaned up in Photoshop. The original negative, as it would appear in my hands, looks like this:

Hope this helps!

Graig
Old 12-22-2010, 06:12 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Hey Tim!

I would definitely have an interest in a scan of that one. I feel like all of these negatives are so damn exciting, I feel bad I can't bid on them all. Well, I guess I could bid on them all, but I doubt I would win.

I wonder what archives they're going to put on eBay next?

Graig
Graig,

You got it!

Just curious, do you use these strictly as potential paintings, or use these to fill in detials in other photos, or do you just simply love the images themselves?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey Tim,

It's really a combination of all three.

For the most part, I have greater hope for the first. I find that these negatives really have unbeatable clarity when compared with the prints made from their era. As you can imagine, technology today really allows us to take advantage of these like never before, as the photographers and artists never really had any easy way to edit and augment these images in the same way we can in Photoshop (especially at that same speed, too). And at the same time, the majority of the images themselves are incredibly compelling.

I do end up saving a lot of screencaps though, as I keep 1000s of reference files for general information that's relevant to a specific year. That usually comes into play whenever certain outfield advertisements are shown, or even various stadium renovations and uniform changes. These can really keep me up to date with them, as well as provide any missing information to fill holes for future paintings. I scour eBay nightly just to fill those holes.

And lastly, I do love the images themselves, but don't really have a need for the original negatives once I'm done scanning them, as I'm not a collector. Someday, unless someone contacts me for a specific one, I'll turn them all loose again. They should certainly be in the possession of someone who will really enjoy having them in their collection.

But I tell ya, I just wish I could have scans of them all!!!

Graig
Old 12-22-2010, 07:17 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
I do end up saving a lot of screencaps though, as I keep 1000s of reference files for general information that's relevant to a specific year. That usually comes into play whenever certain outfield advertisements are shown, or even various stadium renovations and uniform changes. These can really keep me up to date with them, . . .

Did you really just say that they keep you "up to date" with things that happened decades ago?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Graig Kreindler

Old 02-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey guys,

It's been a while, so I thought I'd give this thread a bump. Anyone?

Graig
Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey fellas,

It's been over two years since I first started this thread, so I know the chances are slim - but might anyone have this image of Greenberg? Or, any other cool negatives from the disbandment of the Detroit News archives by lexibell a few years back?

Hope you northeasterners are keeping warm.

Graig
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Ciaran

None from the Detroit News unfortunately but have purchased quite a few of the George Burke negatives, via the John Rogers distribution outlets on eBay and via Legendary Auctions etc.

Happy to provide these if of any potential use.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't accept hugs--I'm a lawyer; they burn like holy water or garlic--but I have this image with negative if you want to use it:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-26-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Graig Kreindler

That's a pretty darn cool shot, Adam. I don't remember ever seeing it. I think I'll definitely trouble you for a scan one day. That is, if it's cool with you.

Ulidia, sometimes I like Burkes a lot, and other times, not so much. Sometimes I feel like his portraits can be a little bit too blown out for my taste, which usually hides a lot of vital information. Though, I guess it all depends on the image. I'd love to see what you came away with!

Thanks for both of your responses!

Graig
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Ulidia, sometimes I like Burkes a lot, and other times, not so much. Sometimes I feel like his portraits can be a little bit too blown out for my taste, which usually hides a lot of vital information. Though, I guess it all depends on the image. I'd love to see what you came away with!
I'm far from being a photographic expert but would find it hard to disagree with you on this. That said, I do think it's probably an image-by-image thing. I purchased around 20 of the negatives via Legendary Auctions and other sources, all of which contained HoFs. Some are better than others - I agree totally on that and many don't speak to me at all.

Interestingly, this poignant image of Babe Dalgren & Lou Gehrig which I assume was shot in July 1939 given Yankees were @ White Sox then, is my favourite. It's one of the negatives I picked up at Legendary. Whilst I don't think it necessarily lends itself to a good painting for a variety of reasons, I think it's a superb and evocative image:

Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Here's a way you might be able to track it down-

If you remember when the auction ended you can search through his feedback from around that time- it always lists what the item was that the feedback comment is referring to- if the buyer left him feedback it will be there and you'll be able to click on the persons ebay name and send them a message.

I see he's got a lot of feedback though so it may take a bit of digging...
Old 02-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Graig Kreindler

Alright, so it's been five years since this thread was bumped...I thought I'd try to bring it back to life in the hopes that somebody out there was able to obtain negatives from the Detroit News at some point.

Here are some other examples I'd love to find high-res scans for:

Old 02-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Love this shot of Landis and Medwick. Not only a great photo but a significant event in baseball history captured.

Quote:

Last edited by TCMA; 02-14-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:00 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Lets just say I hope you are successful in turning any of these pictures into Kreindler works of art. I think the Greenberg would be an amazing painting.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM

I have some negatives from the Detroit archive. Not the ones you are looking for but there are some including a different Greenberg if you want me to look for you at what we have.

Rhys
Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Graig Kreindler

Absolutely, Rhys! If it's cool with you, I mean.

Andrew, if I can pull it off, that Greenberg would be killer. There are a couple of other players from the collection in a similar motif, including a really nice Gehringer. Every single image from that collection was an absolute beaut.

Andrew A, agreed!!! I love how Landis is almost mimicking an umpire giving the thumbs out call.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:10 PM

I will look through the stack of glass negatives from Detroit I have and see who is in there for you.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Don Stokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Graig,

That is a cool shot! I wish that I had it for you.

I picked this one up the other night and am awaiting delivery

1926 Yankes and Tigers (not sure who they are yet).

Definitely not as cool as the one you're looking for, but just say the word if you have any interest.
Pretty sure the Yankee player is Fred Merkle
Old 02-15-2018, 04:16 PM
Graig Kreindler

And I'll love you forever, Rhys!
Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM

I looked through the stack and found 12 I think large glass negatives of Greenberg. They are all action poses and a few close-ups of a broken wrist he suffered in a game. There are others in there too, different Detroit players like Heinie Manush and Harry Heilman. They are a pain in the butt to scan so maybe I will just send them to you and you can use them how you want and then mail them back when you are done if that is ok.

Rhys
Old 02-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Graig Kreindler

Rhys, that would be incredibly kind and amazing of you, but I'd worry that I'd destroy them myself, somehow. I'd have to do the scanning out of house, so I'd kill myself if something were to happen to them - they're precious as all hell! Unless you think there's a fool-proof way of doing it...