NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2014, 12:00 AM
John Mavroudis

Default Mad Bum the Throwback.

After watching my beloved Giants win their 3rd World Series Title in 5 years, I, like everyone else watching, was spellbound by Madison Bumgarner's brilliant performance.

I KNEW he would go this game, but I was counting on the legendary performance of Randy Johnson (maybe a couple of innings....).

As the game unfolded, at some point (the 7th?) I realized that he was actually going to try to finish this off, himself. He did so in dominant fashion.

When the dust had settled, I realized that what I witnessed equalled the legendary feats of Babe Ruth in many ways... except that I wasn't reading about it in a book or picturing it in my mind's eye while staring at a baseball card or old photo. This was happening NOW. That performance would have fit comfortably in ANY legendary venue at ANY legendary time with ANY legendary figures. The only difference was this never had the time to accumulate any dust. We watched the kind of history that we love reading about, but this time we could watch every nuance with multiple camera angles and know that it was all true. MadBum's performance was just the crowning touch on an amazing post-season run through many talented teams. (His mind-boggling numbers would look even more stellar had he not thrown that ball down the line on a bunt, earlier in the playoffs.)

Congrats to my New York / San Francisco Giants! And congrats to the man that picked them up and carried them to the glory. The man from Hickory. Madison Bumgarner... all of 25 years old.

BTW: if you want to read a wonderfully written account of his upbringing check out this excellent New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/sp...ef=sports&_r=0

My favorite line from his dad:

Quote:
“I didn’t know if he had enough left tonight,” Kevin said. “But I did know that boy would try to steal a steak off the devil’s plate.”

www.zenpop.com
Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 AM
David McDonald

McGraw would have loved him.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:46 AM
Louie Michaud

It's funny you really get at a feeling I was having as well. His performance, now that you look at the numbers, is unquestionably historic. It was almost numbing to watch it happen in real time. There's no music from The Natural in the background. No slow motion action shot. And yet as a Giants fan, I mean, did it really seem that insane? It felt like typical Bumgarner when he's on. You knew he was going to go the rest of the game by that 2nd inning. There weren't any real struggles, except for the outfield play at the end. But the context is what made it that amazing.

It was simultaneously predictable and undramatic and awe-inspiring and mind blowing. It makes me wonder what it was like seeing Mathewson or Gibson at their best. Probably something like what we saw yesterday.

And great article, makes me like him even more!

Last edited by Louieman; 10-31-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:02 AM

Impressive thing was he didn't overthrow at all... you would think he would given the magnitude of the situation... he just took his time and made great throws... I saw on one of the Giants fan blogs...where each of his pitches to each hitter was charted...and just about every pitch was either painting the outside or inside corner...down below or just above the strike zone and nothing down the middle...

Ricky Y
Old 10-31-2014, 01:22 AM
John Mavroudis

...and here to confirm and validate our thoughts on this subject, none other than legendary writer Roger Angell in the current New Yorker, titled "THE BEST":

Quote:
I missed Christy Mathewson somehow but caught almost everyone else, down the years—Lefty Grove, Carl Hubbell, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Jack Morris, Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson—but here was the best.
The rest of the piece is (obviously) worth reading:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/best

www.zenpop.com
Old 10-31-2014, 04:35 AM
Barry Sloate

It was amazing to see that even going into the ninth inning, the Giants had no one warming up in the bullpen. Bumgarner was not even given an option- he was going to finish and win that game.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Posey deserves some credit too. The pitch sequences were perfect, and I don't think Bumgarner shook him off even once.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:24 AM
D.an Jackso.n

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...2805cb3da.html

Great article by Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post Dispatch
Old 10-31-2014, 09:35 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
Impressive thing was he didn't overthrow at all... you would think he would given the magnitude of the situation... he just took his time and made great throws... I saw on one of the Giants fan blogs...where each of his pitches to each hitter was charted...and just about every pitch was either painting the outside or inside corner...down below or just above the strike zone and nothing down the middle...

Ricky Y
It certainly was one of those performances that not only shows up in statistics, but passes the eye test as well. I put part of your quote in bold. I wonder how Bumgarner's performance would have changed if MLB had the 20-second time clock on him between pitches like they are playing around with in the Arizona Fall League. Not wanting to hijack the thread or lead it away from MadBum's historic series......the quote just had me thinking.

Tim

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart
Old 10-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Jason Albregts

Simply dominant. Without him, the Giants would have lost in 5 or 6.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:56 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarrollArt View Post
...I wonder how Bumgarner's performance would have changed if MLB had the 20-second time clock on him between pitches like they are playing around with in the Arizona Fall League.
Tim
Tim, I don't think it would have made a whit of difference, because it would not have been just Bumgarner on the clock, so the entire league would have had to adjust. My guess is that Mad would have just worked faster with probably little difference (since he would have been pitching that way all year up to this point).

One could also wonder if the Giants would have won had they been using gloves from the early part of the 20th century, since Panik would not have made that play. But again, he may have been positioned appropriately different and made the play a lot easier as well. Or if the DH hadn't been invented, or...
Old 10-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Bry@n

It was a truly dominant performance for MadBum. He ended up throwing a career high number of innings and 70 more innings than last year - I hope he doesn't suffer an injury next year as pitchers with such large increases in innings often do. Even if he does I think you would find anyone who would have done anything differently - he won the World Series for the team.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:05 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
It was a truly dominant performance for MadBum. He ended up throwing a career high number of innings and 70 more innings than last year - I hope he doesn't suffer an injury next year as pitchers with such large increases in innings often do. Even if he does I think you would find anyone who would have done anything differently - he won the World Series for the team.
Bryan, He appears to be a very 'loose' pitcher with his arm motion, so he has less of a chance at injury than some of the 'tighter' motions we see. Still, I hope the same as well.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

He'll be fine. Whether he now becomes one of the game's elite pitchers will be interesting to see. He's only 67-49 lifetime so far, although 2014 was easily his best season to date.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:33 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Posey deserves some credit too. The pitch sequences were perfect, and I don't think Bumgarner shook him off even once.
Absolutely. These two have had great chemistry from day 1. They both came up as September call ups in 2009, both had critical roles as rookies in 2010. They also received a lot of pub as a rookie battery in game 4 2010 WS when Bum shut the Rangers out for 8 innings, preventing a series tie. I love the way these two work location. Not sure I've seen anyone, at least recently, so effectively go up the ladder on hitters. He misses down a couple inches and some of those may get launched, but as it was he got swings and misses, and pop ups. They've both said they spend a lot of time before games, even innings game planning, so come game time, there are few surprises.

MadBum is definitely a throw back (humble competitor, spurns pitch count, takes hitting very seriously, etc). Re- stats, he's been better than his stats. His 13-13 year's numbers were greatly influenced by a bad start vs the Twins (gave up like 7-8 in less than 1 IP), and started 0-5 due to terrible run support.. But he was dominant much of that year, as he was in the 13-9 year (Giants losing record). I think his pitching numbers may eventually look gaudier (if team continues to win), but he'll be the bell cow no matter what. I also really can't wait to see if he becomes an even better hitter.