NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-26-2021, 10:07 AM

Default Topps Heritage - technical grade question

Would appreciate some help from the Heritage experts out there…

Particularly with the earliest years of Heritage, the stock and surfaces have a “faux vintage” look and feel. The front surfaces even exhibit a “wavy” texture and almost look like they have little wrinkles. Clearly this is engineered but I see some examples where it has seemingly worsened over time.

I was thinking of having the key SPs and Rookies graded. My question for those of you that have experience getting these cards graded: how does PSA or SGC evaluate these surfaces? Have I somehow damaged these cards by having them just in cardboard storage boxes of the last 20 years?

thanks
Mike
Old 12-26-2021, 10:49 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I doubt it, unless your house humidity is high.

Post some clear pictures of the issue you are trying to explain; it will help us determine whether or not they're worth grading. Normally a surface wrinkle on the back (which seems to be what you're describing) would knock a grade down to PSA 6. Is your reading for grading due to monetary increase or personal collection reasons? I would definitely recommend you wait a few more years before going down the grading path since the minimum price right now is $100 each at PSA, or like $30 at SGC.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:17 PM

I agree with that...any grading would be after more cost effective grading options return.

I tried to take a couple of pictures to show what I am describing, but they frankly arent very good. In the first picture you can see the "wavy" nature of the front surface in the area where the glare is reflecting.

They have not been subjected to adverse humidity or other negative environmental conditions. This 2015 Posey shows a bit of what I am seeing, but it seems worse the further back you go...I think the 2001 version is on even thicker stock and they seem to be "bowing" and almost "warping" a bit. The integrity of the actual stock is not compromised, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't affect the actual technical grade unless, like with rough-cut o-pee-chee cards, it is deemed "natural" for the issue.

I realize I am probably way overthinking this, particularly when there might be only a dozen cards worth enough even to grade...but my desire to have NrMt-Mt sets is compelling me to understand better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heritage example #1.jpg (45.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Heritage #2.jpg (45.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-26-2021, 05:43 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I would not worry about those personally. That's just the natural card stock. Even slight bowing is okay as long as it doesn't create spider creases.

But when submission prices are back down to somewhat normal, send 5 in just to confirm PSA will see it that way as a trial balloon.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:45 PM

Thanks John. That’s a good idea. The “spider creases” is a better way to describe what I am seeing…it looks like in some of the older vintages the “wavy” and bowing is starting to get more pronounced….again, not talking about uber-valuable stuff but worth noting. Happy new year