NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2017, 06:35 AM

Default T206 - PWCC Auction Last Night

Great auction with lots of quality cards. Some very healthy prices, no? In some cases a little crazy I thought (see Young Portrait or Nap w/ Bat Fact 42 Op, etc.).

Anyone on this forum nail down either that Cy Young bare hand Old Mill or the Red Cobb CB? I was outbid in both cases by $100 (who knows how much more ultimate buyer would have paid). Seems that prices for HOF rare front/back combos are getting awfully high (see also Red Cobb AB from a few weeks ago).
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM

Default Fan Craze

I can't speak for the T206 prices, but I was able to pick up a 1906 Fan Craze that I needed at a great price!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

The price for the Young portrait was hefty. I believe someone may think it really is a 6.5 or a 7. Nice card though.

The Green Cobb with the crease in the bottom left went for 7800. Truly insane pricing. That card is exploding out of control. The other high grade HOF players had good upticks.

There were bidders with 0 feed back and low numbered feedback on some of them which is always a concern.

Pretty surprised at the Carolina Bright Cobb. I originally thought I wanted to bid on it, but in general I am steering away from cards that have major problems like the missing paper on the back. I have this gut feeling like it will be hard to resell for a direct sale, and there is always some risk on shilling with a card like that which will make it even harder to find a buyer at the price point.

Generally just staying away from cards that have issues with them. 3's through 6's without creases or centering issues or major paper issues.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:04 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

A green cobb psa 4 sold at a show recently for 8500. Although all 4s are not created equal, a well centered deep rich color example for 7800 isnt "truly insane" in my opinion.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Eric Pugh

Default My take

I think whoever won the Carolina brights back Cobb did very well. Even though I'm sure that's probably a record price for that card, there's only 14 of those known. It's Ty cob. It's T206. It's super rare. The sky is the limit for cards like that in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Justin Wilson

I won 7 commons psa 3-4 commons 🤓
Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
A green cobb psa 4 sold at a show recently for 8500. Although all 4s are not created equal, a well centered deep rich color example for 7800 isnt "truly insane" in my opinion.
I believe the crease part to be the insane aspect of the price. I bought one for 8, that is well centered, has nice/nicer corners and no crease. I believe the corners and centering to be the same.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 03-13-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

The Cobb Bat On also drew a pretty serious price tag.

The top left corner was a little soft but the registration helped it out. Think 5600 is a high price for that card especially since the SGC example doesn't look to far off it, for 1100 cheaper.

Generally there are big differences in SGC 5 and PSA 5, but those so close that I am surprised at the price gap.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:41 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
I believe the crease part to be the insane aspect of the price.
Right, anything for major money in a PSA 4 or higher with a crease makes it really hard to sell in a private sale for a top of market price....never know in an auction though. I keep seeing my two former super centered green cobb psa 4s i tried to sell here on net54 being sold and sold again at record prices....its the gift that keeps on giving and making me throw up again and again...
Old 03-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I won only one 6.5 common. I had bid on 10 or so 6's-7's but had problems with the snipping site.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:08 AM

Totally agree -- the Green Cobb was way over-graded and brought too high a price IMO; how does a card with that crease get that grade??!! I thought the bat-on Cobb was nice and the price seemed reasonable, although I agree the SGC 60 on Ebay is now looking more and more attractive.

I went strong on the Young Old Mill (real bummed I missed out) and equally strong on the Cobb CB; yes, the back is bad, and after all you are paying for the back, but it so rarely sells that in some regards beggars cannot be choosers.

I though the Marquard Portrait Cycle 350 was a good price, and someone won a real nice Evers Chicago PSA 7. What was up with Shag Shaughnessy going for $1500+? Great looking card, but that seemed quite high. Many decent deals on mid grade (Tinker portrait, Matty portrait, etc)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Aaron E.
Aa.ron Eps.tein

Cobb bat off PSA 6 went for over 9k. I know it was super centered but, that is over 1500 higher than the PSA 6 from last month. Btw. That was me that won that one (my 7500 feels a little more reasonable now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Greg Mitchell

While some hefty prices, also many well below "average" of recent sales. The SL 5s were all over the map, as we HOF 5s and 6s, with some head scratchers on either end--definitely a few bargains I should have snagged with just a little more effort or wisdom (things happen too fast).... It does seem that premiums for centered cards, which bodes well for my collection when I sell...
Old 03-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardMD View Post
Cobb bat off PSA 6 went for over 9k. I know it was super centered but, that is over 1500 higher than the PSA 6 from last month. Btw. That was me that won that one (my 7500 feels a little more reasonable now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It had a slight diamond cut to the keen observer.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Sean Costello

I had to work last night so I couldn't bid. I asked my brother to bid for me. I told him to bid $2,200 for the T206 M. Brown portrait. On his own, he bid $2,252. The next highest bid was $2,251, so I won a $2,200 card by one dollar.

I thanked my brother, because I would rather spend a little more than lose the card. He was still laughing about it this morning when we talked.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 PM

Sean, I think you owe your brother a steak dinner.

Yeah, really strong prices.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Sean, I think you owe your brother a steak dinner.

Yeah, really strong prices.
He's coming to visit in October, so yeah, I'll be happy to pay for dinner.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Some T206 prices were wild, but did anyone see the T210-8 Manuel that sold for $3600. Pretty wild. Two people must have really wanted to complete a set. It would be interesting to see what one would sell for if offered at auction today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142299126562...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-13-2017, 05:19 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Most of the T206 prices were beyond crazy, big time...
Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Justin Burleson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epps View Post
Some T206 prices were wild, but did anyone see the T210-8 Manuel that sold for $3600. Pretty wild. Two people must have really wanted to complete a set. It would be interesting to see what one would sell for if offered at auction today.

Yeah, I was watching that one for a buddy who was considering it, but it went well past what he wanted to pay. Pretty floored by that one.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:07 PM

Default Strong prices

Gee, the strong prices are making it real tough to hit the button with a serious bid. The nice grade T206 HOFers now out of my budget. Glad I picked them up a decade or so ago. Maybe if a couple speculative stocks I have finally hit, then it might be game on again. Until then, sidelines for me. Sigh.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

I would agree with that. It is getting pretty expensive to get a nice HOF 5 or 6 of Young, Matty, and Johnson. Obviously Cobb also.

I believe there are new people hunting these cards down. There are guys out there willing to put 20k on a blackjack table. Why not gamble on card prices. I think you see people going heavy on mid grade HOF players. They are still within reach for some people, they turn over in the market fast should you want to sell them and they are going up.

That is an explosive combination to get people interested. It always huts when there is a card you want at a price and you hold off only to find out you missed the boat. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, pay the price and wait for it to meet what you paid for it or you will always be at the dock.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 03-13-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epps View Post

The Manuel card was a bit of a surprise to me as well. Just like the Series 7 Mayer that went for 1400 a week or two ago. Some T210's sell for pennies and some for big bucks. I guess its all in what advanced collectors need at the moment.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:54 PM
Bill O

I won the Shag. This was one of those cases for me where quoting a member on this group "sometimes you just gotta say what the hell". I forgot exactly what he said. And go for it. I've seen previous auctions where the same grade OM back went for 1200-1400. But this one was so perfect looking I couldn't resist. I'm sure it being an HE card also had something to do with the high price as well. I've always loved this card. Shag looks so respectful with his pose. Plus I'll never own a beautiful Green Cobb so for me this was the next best thing to it. Gonna keep for a long time. A keeper
I thought the horizontal Murphy 400+ was a bit high.

Last edited by Billy5858; 03-13-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 AM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The Manuel card was a bit of a surprise to me as well. Just like the Series 7 Mayer that went for 1400 a week or two ago. Some T210's sell for pennies and some for big bucks. I guess its all in what advanced collectors need at the moment.
Ditto.

That Manuel was the highest price I remember seeing paid on a non-Jackson/Stengel T210.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:25 AM
pete ullman

very, very strong prices on those t206's. the consigner must be very, very happy!

not sure if I'm believing that these "new" prices will stick on "common", t206 cobbs and such. time will tell. could be market manipulation similar to last years run on 50's hof rookies. there ARE some out there with a lot of t206 cobbs after all!!!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Interesting thought. Wouldn't that require a very substantial amount of money? How does someone do that without everyone realizing what is happening?
Old 03-14-2017, 07:21 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Interesting thought. Wouldn't that require a very substantial amount of money? How does someone do that without everyone realizing what is happening?
it happened last year for a spell and the majority of collectors/investors on this very site bought into it!!!

there is atleast 1 "collector/investor" on this site with dozens and dozens of t206 cobbs.

all one needs is a "shill" system which seems to be de rigeur on ebay these days with certain sellers and a few "sales" whether real or not to psychologically drive up prices.

i'm not saying this IS happening...but it certainly could be.
history tends to repeat itself!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

I believe that there are other cards that would be much easier to try and corner the market on, than a Cobb that costs as much as 10k each.

If you believe the card is going to run, of course you will buy into it.

I have several myself in different grades, in different backs and I am still buying more. If you look at the population charts, it really only takes a few people trying to put together a Green Cobb back run in solid condition to dry up the numbers.

What card are you talking about that was manipulated before?
Old 03-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This manipulation only works for lazy or unsuspecting collectors. If there is a sudden spike in prices no one is forcing anyone to bid or buy a card. Remember when a '63 Rose in an 8 holder was 15k? It didn't work then and it won't work now. And my guess is that is the way authorities probably feel too. At some point we have to be accountable for ourselves. And yes, I think the bid retractions are the worst thing about what is going on. It is the way these sales are trying to be manipulated, imo. But knowledge is key so don't play into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
it happened last year for a spell and the majority of collectors/investors on this very site bought into it!!!

there is atleast 1 "collector/investor" on this site with dozens and dozens of t206 cobbs.

all one needs is a "shill" system which seems to be de rigeur on ebay these days with certain sellers and a few "sales" whether real or not to psychologically drive up prices.

i'm not saying this IS happening...but it certainly could be.
history tends to repeat itself!
Old 03-14-2017, 07:38 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This manipulation only works for lazy or unsuspecting collectors. If there is a sudden spike in prices no one is forcing anyone to bid or buy a card. Remember when a '63 Rose in an 8 holder was 15k? It didn't work then and it won't work now. And my guess is that is the way authorities probably feel too. At some point we have to be accountable for ourselves. And yes, I think the bid retractions are the worst thing about what is going on. It is the way these sales are trying to be manipulated, imo. But knowledge is key so don't play into it.
I love the way you downplay these issues as of lately as if they are not issues at all!

Obviously it is smart to be judicious if one is spending a lot of $$$$ on cardboard. But the fact is some people are getting taken advantage of...and will continue to be.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 AM

I think would be very difficult to truly manipulate Cobbs and other rare-back or high grade HOFers, based solely on scarcity and cost/example. Instead, I think these cards are super hot right now, which is causing more supply to hit the market and the demand drives the cost. It will likely result in many of us over-paying in the short-term (shills or otherwise), but for those of us who are long on the cards, it will shake out ok in the end. The lesson for me here is that I need to pay mightily for cards I really want. I knew this already -- having posted a very high max bid on the Young bare hand Old Mill 6 at PWCCs last auction, only to get outbid -- but now I know that my very high max bids are likely insufficient to succeed on these cards and I need to now place very higher max bids.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:06 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I think would be very difficult to truly manipulate Cobbs and other rare-back or high grade HOFers, based solely on scarcity and cost/example. Instead, I think these cards are super hot right now, which is causing more supply to hit the market and the demand drives the cost. It will likely result in many of us over-paying in the short-term (shills or otherwise), but for those of us who are long on the cards, it will shake out ok in the end. The lesson for me here is that I need to pay mightily for cards I really want. I knew this already -- having posted a very high max bid on the Young bare hand Old Mill 6 at PWCCs last auction, only to get outbid -- but now I know that my very high max bids are likely insufficient to succeed on these cards and I need to now place very higher max bids.
i disagree! you'd think it'd be a lot more difficult to manipulate much more common cards from the 50's and 60's as was being done last year...yet it WAS DONE!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yeah and how well did that work? Lmao

Quote:
i disagree! you'd think it'd be a lot more difficult to manipulate much more common cards from the 50's and 60's as was being done last year...yet it WAS DONE!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 AM
pete ullman

yeah I know...yuk yuk...YUK! If I were capitalizing on this like some on here are...I'd laugh it all off too!!!!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 AM
Paul

One thing there is no shortage of is T206 Cobbs. The red one in particularly was super printed. We may not see prices come back down to pre-2016 levels, but to suggest that these will continue to rise in price at this rate, without some backwards movement is shortsighted, in my view. There's just too many out there.

But, yes, by selling mine last year I did well ...but not as well as I would've done this year. Geesh...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

The green cobb is significantly shorter.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Mordecai Brown portrait PSA 6 for $2250? Chase Trophy PSA 6 for $700? Green Cobb PSA 4 with a significant crease for $8K? Some of these prices were just mind boggling...I know one thing, if I consign T206s again, they are going to Brent and not some of these over hyped AH's....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-14-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Mordecai Brown portrait PSA 6 for $2250? Chase Trophy PSA 6 for $700? Green Cobb PSA 4 with a significant crease for $8K? Some of these prices were just mind boggling...I know one thing, if I consign T206s again, they are going to Brent and not some of these over hyped AH's....
Happy bidding!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:17 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Mordecai Brown portrait PSA 6 for $2250?
Hey, that's my new card.

Luckily I'm a collector, not an investor.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:18 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Happy bidding!
??
Old 03-14-2017, 04:20 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
??
shill...bidding
Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Hey, that's my new card.

Luckily I'm a collector, not an investor.
Sean- Sorry, no offense meant, very solid card, and tough HOFer in high grade. This card was obviously in a hot battle between 2 or 3 guys, it happens. Congrats on your purchase...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-14-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:23 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Damn, I get it now! Thanks Pete...
Quote:
shill...bidding
Old 03-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Sean- Sorry, no offense meant, very solid card, and tough HOFer in high grade. This card was obviously in a hot battle between 2 or 3 guys, it happens. Congrats on your purchase...
That's okay, no offense taken.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 PM

Default Moxie

Yeah, I saw the Moxie Manuel but gave up as it skyrocketed.

Simple answer is that both the Moxie and the Erskine Mayer are extremely low pop, rare cards of Jewish players. So it has cross-over appeal for both set collectors and niche collectors.

I was fortunate enough to snag a Mayer about 5 years ago and was hoping for Moxie, but it was too rich for my blood.

Wondering if anyone on the forum won the Moxie?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Paul

Quote:
The green cobb is significantly shorter.
There are six Green Cobbs on ebay right now. People kept their Cobb cards through the years. It will never be hard to find one.

@SignedT206
Old 03-15-2017, 10:42 PM
Bill O

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
There are six Green Cobbs on ebay right now. People kept their Cobb cards through the years. It will never be hard to find one.
Yeah that PSA authentic one for auction
is a beauty I see know reason to buy an affordable
one that looks like &@(#% just to have one. I need a centered
4+ or nothing. In other words I'll never own one
Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
There used to be dozens, now there are less. All of them are low grade or priced not to sell. The populations at or above a 4 are significantly more scarce than his counterparts.

Correct. Ebay will always show cards that are currently being bid on and always show cards that are significantly over priced. That will never change.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:14 AM
Paul

Quote:
The populations at or above a 4 are significantly more scarce than his counterparts.
The point I am making is that if you have enough cash you can always get one. They're just not that scarce. It's like the 1952 Topps Mantle.

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice Green Cobby as much as the next guy, but I never see it as an urgency buy, even when there are surges in the market, because they come up for sale regularly.

@SignedT206