NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Default personal web sites

Posted By: warshawlaw

I have been going through many of the web sites maintained by folks here and I am very impressed. What are your experiences setting them up, changing them, maintaining them, etc.? What does it cost to maintain one? How difficult is it to set up, esp. for the HTML-illiterate?

Old 06-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I used the geocities web builder tool. Altough my site is basic, its absolutely free and no HTML experience was required

Brian
www.geocities.com/engelhard1978/index.html

Old 06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

You don't have to be a computer programer or html expert to create a web page. There are programs like Adobe PageMill that allow the novice to create nice looking sites, add and change pictures and text at will.

Once you have the site up, it's no problem maintaining or changing it when you wish. See a spelling error or want a different picture, just go in and change it. Want to add a brand new section, go ahead and do it.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

The imageevent.com service is ENTRY LEVEL.
You do not have to know anything about web design to use the service.
I think it's $25 a year for 2000 images and is very easy to upload your images to your site and personalize with colors and such.
Everything is cut and paste and click and can be done with a beer in your other hand!

The yahoo geocities sites that some other members have are a little more difficult to enable, manage, and upload. It can be done for free, but they put those annoying advertisements on your page. Still, Brian, Ben, Julie and some of the others have great sites using this service.

Many members here have been MORE than helpful in assisting me with questions that I've had. Quite a few people here make a living in IT/web design fields.
robert a

Old 06-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

My sites were created as part of a .mac.com membership, which costs $99 per year. No HTML knowledge is needed. I've adapted the tools which most people use for photo albums. It was pretty easy to do.

19th Century
http://homepage.mac.com/thurber51/19th_Century/Personal50.html

20th Century
http://homepage.mac.com/thurber51/Personal38.html

Old 06-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I pay 0 and Brian M. set mine up for me. I sold him an E107 HOF'er at a fraction of todays prices for doing it. When I sold it to him, 6mos. ago, it was worth 20% of what it's worth today, imo.....

Old 06-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh A.

I was thinking about starting my own page as well, has anyone here had any experience with Godaddy.com?

"I'm thinking about getting a plasma T.V., in case I need a transfusion."- Steven Wright

Old 06-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

If you haven't checked out Bruce Babcock's site, when you do, you'll quickly understand that Macs really are superior.

Great site Bruce.
robert

Old 06-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

AWESOME CARDS, BRUCE !

BEST REGARDS,

ADAM J. MORAINE

Old 06-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Adam (Warshawlaw),

If you just want to display pics of your collection then Imageevent or a service like it is the way to go. Previously, I had been using Freewebs which was going to cost me $60 or so per year. Imageevent costs me $25, I can display 1500 images and the uploading is easy and quick. You can upgrade your account for more image storage etc. I'm very happy with it so far.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Almost every ISP today offers free web space for private pages. All you need to do download an FTP program like CoffeeCup and you are good to go.

I know a little bit about writing HTML code, but pretty much use the Netscape WYSIWYG page builder/editor.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Josh,

I just started using godaddy for a few sites recently and have been very happy with the results. Their customer service is pretty good and a lot of their options are pretty cheap if you're not looking to spend a lot of cash.

I'll always be happy to help walk anyone through the logistics of setting up their own site. It's really not as overwhelming as it can seem.

Chris

Old 06-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I use www.freewebs.com (webpage) in conjunction with www.photobucket.com (picture storage) - both sites are free and easy to use.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Adam - I just looked at imageevent.com and it is super. For $25 they do almost all the work - thumbnails, large pics, disable right click if you wish to not allow picture copying. I am joining now and putting up a catalog and a gallery for my other hobby - photography.

Thanks Adam for alerting us to this site.

---

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 06-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Imageevent looks good to me too. I think I will be joining and posting one hell of a lot of exhibit cards for all to enjoy.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

P.S. I could have used an Earthlink or Netscape hosted site because I use both, but I need the .mac iDisk anyway for work related things. I also found the .mac hosting situation to be, to use the technical term, "less clunky," IMHO, than the others. It is certainly possible to do what I did for less than $99/year.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I do imageevent, too. It's only like $25 a year and it displays my cards and I can write want what I want as captions. I do not wish to spend the time to make a fancier one and imagevent does a great job.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

I've got my site through Yahoo/Geocities - it runs me about $12 per month for 2,000 megabytes of space. The nice thing about using it is I also get my own domain name (there was a one-time fee for that - I think it was about $50-60).

There are a lot of great web tools out there. Microsoft FrontPage is what I use - it's just like creating a document in word, and uploads easily.

Be ready to spend some time on putting your site together. The first few months are the hardest... maintenance after that just depends on how often you add new stuff.

One of the best parts about having a site like this is that sometimes it will get you a line on something you need - I've bought at least a dozen collections from people who found me through my site.

Jeff
http://www.seattlehockey.net

Old 06-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Miguel

My site provides free, unlimited hosting of sports card images. No fees, unlimited space, and it's for sports cards only. You can have multiple "collections" if you want to organize your cards into groups by set, player, etc. I'm looking into providing some more customization options for people who want their own unique looking web pages for their collection. I'd LOVE to have some people post their vintage stuff for display on the site, especially since I personallly don't have any pre-50's vintage myself. The site is at http://www.cardfu.com/pics/

Old 06-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

whenever Ben was working on it or a lot of people were hitting on it, it wouldn't let you in. I have BEGGED Ben to teach me how to operate it, but so far, he won't., I sent him a couple real nice cards...but gush, it's
a lot of work sometimes...

Old 06-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Administrator

I did some fairly extensive updating on my website. In addition to updating, I added scans and links (this board, the T206 Museum and Cycleback among others).

http://www.geocities.com/engelhard1978/index.html

I want to thank Dan Koteles and Brian H. for helping me recently acquire a Fan Craze Crawford and replace a T206 Cobb EPDG that I previously let go. Scans were not available on either card, but I still made the purchase based off the seller's description, reputation of this board and trust in the slabs. Thanks also to Brian McQueen for offering to help on the Crawford hunt.

thanks

Brian

Old 06-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Brian- Those are great cards. Are you trying to complete all the possible backs for those four cards?

Julie- “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime."

Old 06-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

I have an account set up with CIHost. The selling site was designed several years ago with the help of a friend and DreamWeaver. I wish I had time to learn how to easily setup some search and shopping cart functionality - future goal

For the link below I maintained a simple HTML table with clickable thumbnails.

------------------------------
MY COLLECTION: http://www.rustywilly.com/MYCOLLECTION.htm

Old 06-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Wesley, to answer your question....yes that's where my interest is right now, different backs of the four different poses.

Brian

Old 06-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I have used them for several years - 'point and click' web-site building with no html knowledge necessary. It costs about $90/year and I store loads of scans there and haven't come close to using my space. I think Eric Angyle pointed me to it originally.