NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM

Default I Don't Like To Talk About What Else I Collect

Almost everyone who comes here collects cards(except for Barry Goat and that cycleback guy). So you come here willing to talk about what you collect. End of obviousness(it's really a word). In the Old Judge survival thread, we talked about how many people don't even visit this board, yet have huge collections and some people refuse to use this intraweb thingy.

So the question is, do you collect anything else that is a common collectible, yet you don't visit any forum about it to yap with other people who collect the same thing.

My two examples, a modest coin collection that I occasionally add to and antique cars. I have two vehicles and have had around ten others at some point in the past. I don't search out forums for either, even though I spend way too much time on the computer, and I come here to visit on the average, at least 3-4 times a day.

I figure if people collect other things and don't talk about it, despite talking about old cardboard frequently, there are plenty of others who do the opposite, boring people with their coin talk, while keeping their pictures of dead baseball players fetish to themselves.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM

I suspect most collectors collect different things, if some only on the side.

I once had a big fashion photograph collection (ala Vogue magazine original photos), but sold off all my photos. I'm sure if I became an active collecter again, I go back to collecting those. I was am unaware of a forum for that subject.

I know of a Net54 board member who collects antique pool cues. Interesting there is a pool cue collecting forum on the internet.

Last edited by drc; 03-25-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Yeah, I collect comic books that my father moonlighted circa 1946-1956. I used to haunt some comic forums but never posted. However, I started my own blog dedicated to his work in the animation industry in general, and got lots of 'alive' cartoonists/animators, (as opposed to dead ones, or fetishy dead ballplayers), and people who are just darn interested like us non-ballplayers, contact me personally, many of whom have help me indentify my dad's comic book style from that era. Some of them have become good friends, and many are very interested in my own accounts, as told to and observed by me, of what that career life had been like in his era, similar to the way we are in interested in vintage.
pete ullman

I have been a collector my whole life...mostly baseball stuff...the last 15 or so years japanese/american/korean pottery...as well as various forms of art of which I follow on the internet but do not frequent any message boards.

As I get older though...my collecting nature is giving way to a cleaner...less cluttered home...and the mindset that "objects" just aren't that important to me...as I slowly downsize!!!!!
Craig M

As you can see (dead baseball players) are alive and well!!!

...and that's what I love about the baseball men of the past; it's as if they did not pass because we are keeping their memory with us daily.

This will always be.

Craig
Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
T!M R10rd@n

I am a very accomplished collector of calories, although I have disposed of about 200,000 of them over the last 7 months.

Actually if I were collecting things other than cards and memorabilia, I strongly suspect that my wife would not be as understanding as she is.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM

I have a well to do and culturally elitist neighbor who collects Pre-1800 British silver and historical autographs. He sometimes asks me about baseball autographs, in particular Jackie Robinson. For all I know, he has some baseball stuff stashed away.

For an example of his elitism, he's from the East Coast likes classical music but refuses to attend the Seattle Symphony because it's not like the New York Philharmonic or the Chicago Symphony. I'm like "You live in Seattle."

Last edited by drc; 03-25-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Jason Wells

I collect Silver Age Spiderman comics because they are classic reads.Also my son is a comic book nut and it gives us something to bond over as well as something for me to look for at the various ComicCons I take him too.I have explored a few forums looking for new places to pick us up books besides Ebay.Going on those forums makes you appreciate the professionalism and maturity of the Net54 forum and members.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Sean Brennan

I'm currently writing a pilot for a series I'm calling "that cycleback guy". I have the title, the character (and what a character! ) and the character s dog down but that's it. Still I'm quite excited with this project! I'm seeing a sort of hart to hart meets frasier meets downton abbey!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I restored 3 vintage motorcycles - 2 1964 Triumphs and a 1939 BMW and rode them almost everyday for 20 years. While most motorcycle guys love to roam around in packs, have those brunch Sundays and stand around in restaurant parking lots next to their bikes with their pals, I liked the solitude of the road and never joined any clubs or forums. I just liked working on them and riding.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Alex

I grew up during the comic book of the 90s. I was particularly intrigued by Valiant Comics but they were really expensive at the time, my dad once paid $250 for one particular issue. Now that the bubble has burst I am collecting a set. I have been at it on and off for a few years.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Mike
Mich@el H@mel

Default Shhhh!

Beer cans and postcards
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Barry Sloate

I've collected Large Cents for about six years but have never posted on their collector forum. I looked at it once, but decided not to get started.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Steven Finley

I come from a family of collectors of all sorts so it is only natural I found something to lighten my wallet as well. Aside from this I dabble in coins and Beatles memorabilia (particularly non-English 45 picture sleeves). My mother collects Kennedy family memorabilia and her father had an amazing collection (so I heard, it was pieced out before I was born) of Revolutionary War-Era Freemason material.

I have several close family members (I won't define their relation) who collectively have a renowned rock and mineral collection. The whole rock-mineral scene is weird because major collectors remain well-known while still "unknown" because of a legal technicality usually allows the Mining Company and/or State-Nation that operates the mine the rocks normally originate from the sole claim of ownership of all materials that come from the mines. Most of the rocks/minerals that are in private collections are "smuggled" out by miners and sold on the market. Thus technically a mine/state can legally lay claim to someone's personal collection (some rocks the size of a fist sell for several thousand dollars regularly) if they can prove that they came from their site, which is sometimes easy because particular mineral formations can often to traced to a specific location. It is a somewhat hilarious situation in which affluent well-to-do collectors often meet in basements and garages to trade and deal in secret.

Finally, when my father passed away I inherited part of his classic car collection (64 Impala SS, 56 Bel-Air SS, and a 1970 Chevelle). I also care take his huge Coca-Cola collection that I hope to catalog this summer.

Last edited by sbfinley; 03-25-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

I used to buy and restore classic cars. Built a 9.4sec 1/4mi 68 Mustang with 302 bored and stroked, and a nice direct port NOS system. Didn't handle well but it would fly straight. Also one of my Favorites was a 64 Chevelle with 53xxx I bought from a customer for $2100 This car was so clean you could eat off the floor or motor, your choice All original with factory undercoating, AC, and was garage stored so it had 0 defects or rust. Should have kept that one. Anyway I never hit a chat board for any cars and preferred to call and hunt parts down as needed for any of them I did.

Member since 2009
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Shawn England

I am not sure who to talk too, but I probably need to talk with somebody about what I collect

Not sure why, but the other day I paid $10 for a 1960s double barrel Johnson Submarine Gun! I mean everybody needs a spear-gun don't they? Its late sixties - shoots 22 Cal. wadded blanks and I was told it is the same type used in one of the James Bond movies (though after looking online I find no evidence). I imagine this "James Bond" story is common among spear-gun collectors I did read (though still no proof) it was used in one of the Jaws movies....

To accent my Submarine gun I also picked up "FREE" this 1880 two burner "Great Western Stove Co." wood burning stove... Guy said he need it out of the house - I have since learned these have a considerable value.

From what I collect I would need to be a member of an insane amount of forums
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (81.5 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg photo1 (1024x768).jpg (75.2 KB, 360 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I have been a collector my whole life...mostly baseball stuff...the last 15 or so years japanese/american/korean pottery.
Nice!! My mom is a Japanese American potter.. I collect more of her stuff every year at Christmas.

As for me, I accumulate other baseball related stuff- significant newspapers (as they've happened), random fan giveaway items, all my stubs, autographs, have an old glove, etc.. Nothing really worth talking about though. I also have a collection of 20-30 unopened Star Wars figures that I got when I was about 12. I haven't added to that stash in about 20 years, and 40 Year Old Virgin didn't give incentive to bring this up in conversation, EVER, so I don't talk about them either.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Dan Bretta

I collect postcards and don't frequent any forums for them...I'm not even sure a forum exists for postcards that is anywhere on par with Net54 in membership and activity.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
pete ullman

really Ian...what's her name?!?! Does she sell her work at any galleries?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
really Ian...what's her name?!?! Does she sell her work at any galleries?
Her name is Pat Oyama. She studied art/ceramics in Alfred, NY, then apprenticed in Japan through her 20's. She used to do mainly traditional stuff- Japanese style bowls, plates, tea cups/kettles, but has evolved over time and now does a lot of funky slab work and masks. I don't think she sells through any galleries outside CA, but does sell at a handful in the SF Bay Area, as well as at some of the area art shows. She's definitely one of those who has not yet grasped the "intraweb" thing, so she doesn't have a web page or anything. It makes me happy anytime I hear someone is interested in that type of pottery though.

To add: I'm traveling on the East Coast this week, but I will have to send you some pics of her stuff when I get home next week

Last edited by itjclarke; 03-25-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

I collect Edward Curtis-related stuff (mostly photos) as my 2nd collecting passion. The only time I discuss any of it with anyone, is with David, or when I wander into the Flury's shop down by the baseball stadium, and they are the experts, so I'm pretty much a waste of their time.

Since pre-wwi photos are my main collecting area, Curtis fits right in with the occasional albumen, platinum or collotype postcards. Anyone else?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Yeah, I collect comic books that my father moonlighted circa 1946-1956. I used to haunt some comic forums but never posted. However, I started my own blog dedicated to his work in the animation industry in general, and got lots of 'alive' cartoonists/animators, (as opposed to dead ones, or fetishy dead ballplayers), and people who are just darn interested like us non-ballplayers, contact me personally, many of whom have help me indentify my dad's comic book style from that era. Some of them have become good friends, and many are very interested in my own accounts, as told to and observed by me, of what that career life had been like in his era, similar to the way we are in interested in vintage.
What was his name?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

I collect lots of stuff, but aside from here and a couple bicycle mailing lists that I've become less active on I haven't done much online.

When I submitted a stamp article about a particularly special stamp I'd found to the journal of a club I'm in the editors were really puzzled. Apparently people who aren't well known by most experts and are still collecting don't write articles.

Steve B
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
What was his name?
Irv Spector. I have a blog dedicated to his stuff, although I've neglected it for quite awhile: http://irvspector.blogspot.com/ If you search the blog under Muggy Doo you can pop up some of the comics.

Also, you might get a kick out of (search for and scroll down) Abner the Baseball, an animated cartoon that was Paramount's entry for a Best Animated Film Oscar (didn't make the nominee final list) but you get Mantle, Berra, et al.

But really, he was an animator and in the decade I cited there were a lot of animators in the NY Army Signal Corp that moonlighted and went on to do it as extra cash. Timely/Atlas, and then some other smaller publishers. He started his animation career in 1930 and you can see some of his early work in B&W Fleisher, like Popeyes and stuff. Every year you can still see his additional story writing credit in 1966's How The Grinch Stole Christmas. I dunno, dig deep instead of me explaining everything -- that's what the blog is for. (my bad)! The only reason I mention animation is that I collect that too LOL

Last edited by Paul S; 03-25-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I will be on "Hoarders" one of these days. I've dabbled in collected everything. Baseball, football, hockey, a few non sport cards, autographs, comics, etc. UGH!
I sometimes dabble in cars. Restored a 64 1/2 Mustang and sold it. There's a 55 Chevy 2 door coupe in my garage that is partly finished. I recently bought a 1990 Buick Reatta which I'm driving and hope to work on this summer.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Default Fossils, tattoos and Early Marine Corps Items

I collect fossils and hope to someday do a little discovering with my son when he get's older. Particularly interested in Hominin fossils but limited to replicas for obvious reasons. I also have a lifelong love for early tattoo memorabilia and Marine Corps rarities. I spent most of my adult life in the Marines so I collected some of my favorite vintage pieces on the flesh. Both arms , chest and stomach are all vintage Marine images like you'd see on a WWII vet.

I do not participate in any other forums.

By the way - are we all geeks?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Jake

I collect President Reagan Action Figures and related collectibles.

If there is a forum for this I would love to see it.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Matt Hall

I've been collecting vinyl since I was 11 years old.... I probably started a bit too young. Moving my collection to all the various places I lived in my life as a young adult has been insane. I eventually put them in climate controlled storage. Most of my collection is still in there, except for what Ive added in the last several years, which is quite a bit I've never been on any forum of that kind, ever...

I've also collected vintage BB cards off and on growing up. It all started when my dad took me to the national in 1991. I bought a couple of Cracker Jacks and Goudeys, before then, dover reprints. I sold off my collection in my early twenties when I discovered ebay. I repurchased some of what I sold due to the regret. I didn't know of any baseball card forums until 2010. I attribute/blame net54 for the addiction that's taken over. (It's a good thing) I wish I was more serious before.

BTW, you guys all collect really cool stuff. You all have incredible taste!

-Matt
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 AM
Dave Reese

Those strange little things, 1960's nodders (bobbleheads) with a focus on college football.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 AM
$teve O.

I collect old car parts,mainly speed equipment from the '40's to '60's.I also have drag racing programs,posters,and magazines from the same era.I used to have a bunch of pre '70's cars,but I'm down to 3.A '39 Buick street rod,'55 Oldsmobile,and a '70 Nova that I used to drag race.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM

Default other treasures

Still have several model car kits I had as a kid...never assembled. If any Net54'er collects these drop me an email.

Interested in trading them for cards (old baseball, certain non-sports). Will sell to someone who will truly give them a good home...not flip them on ebay.

I use a library computer, so may take a few days to get back in touch.

Last edited by SmokyBurgess; 03-26-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
I collect fossils and hope to someday do a little discovering with my son when he get's older. Particularly interested in Hominin fossils but limited to replicas for obvious reasons. I also have a lifelong love for early tattoo memorabilia and Marine Corps rarities. I spent most of my adult life in the Marines so I collected some of my favorite vintage pieces on the flesh. Both arms , chest and stomach are all vintage Marine images like you'd see on a WWII vet.

I do not participate in any other forums.

By the way - are we all geeks?
Tattoos are fun, I guess I collect them also. I have 9 so far, haven't gotten any lately, they're just too expensive anymore. By old tattoo memorabilia, do you mean old guns, artwork, needles even? And yeah, I think we're all geeks
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Ted

I have a pretty good skull collection. Deer, coyote, box turtle, squirrel, wild pig, armadillo, bobcat just to name a few. I know that is weird, but my wife is a biologist, so I can even get away with displaying them in the house! What can I say? I have a propensity for finding dead things.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Ted, when I was in junior high, one of my friends created a skull collection for his science project. I also lived in the 'dirty south', so locating critters was no problem. We all thought his project was so cool, that we all started collecting skulls. My favorite was a nutria rat skull.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM

I'm not actively searching too much anymore, but I have a large collection of hard rock/metal vinyl, cd's and other music related stuff (tour books, guitar picks, etc.). I still spring into action if I stumble across something cool, especially NWOBHM items.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

I collect pins/badges, with particular focus to sports and motorcylces.....boy I really dig those
I've hunted the web and it seems pin collecting is a disprate interest, very focused in certain areas, with no real organization or forums of real note.
That's always surprised me, especially for those with a sports focus, and mostly what you find are just random web pages displaying individual collections and the reasons for their interest.
It's made putting together my collection a very slow process .
Old 03-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I've collected Large Cents for about six years but have never posted on their collector forum. I looked at it once, but decided not to get started.

Barry, my dad used to collect large cents. He still has most of them but doesn't pursue them anymore. The different variations make the t206 set look like child's play.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Ted, when I was in junior high, one of my friends created a skull collection for his science project. I also lived in the 'dirty south', so locating critters was no problem. We all thought his project was so cool, that we all started collecting skulls. My favorite was a nutria rat skull.
Wow, it is nice to be understood!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
Tattoos are fun, I guess I collect them also. I have 9 so far, haven't gotten any lately, they're just too expensive anymore. By old tattoo memorabilia, do you mean old guns, artwork, needles even? And yeah, I think we're all geeks
Mostly flash and machines but both are harder to find then the true rarities in pre-war cards due to the fact that they are handmade, original art. Proud geek here.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I just got it! All this time I thought you two were talking about Topps lick-on inserts. Duh.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 PM

Old Tibetan texts. They don't fit on my scanner. This is about half of a page.
JimB

Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
I just got it! All this time I thought you two were talking about Topps lick-on inserts. Duh.
Ha. I've had a few of those too.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Old Tibetan texts. They don't fit on my scanner. This is about half of a page.
JimB

Those have always impressed me with the calligraphy. Can you read them?

One thing I like about stuff like that is the feeling that if someone made the effort to write that much that nicely it must have been important in some way.

Steve B
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Spleens.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
tony

Hand made antique marbles. I am cheap I won't pay the $3000 for them, I only go as high as $100.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default collect

wooden egg holders
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Danny Gabel

Growing up during 80's-90's collecting Topps baseball until i found new love in basketball and did late 90's on them then turned to be a comic book collector even though i barely read them. I just like the idea of building a set. Then i got hooked with coca cola vintage stuff (they are still sitting in boxes boxes in the basement) Once I met my idol, Curtis Pride who was deaf player in the minor league. I found my passion in Deaf Sports History so I got serious in past 15 years with it.

That what lead me to 3 different OJ Hoy, 10 different T206 Dummy Taylor backs, and long etcccccc..