NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-31-2017, 08:51 AM

Default 365 Days of Roberto Clemente

As a player collector, I have enjoyed seeing threads devoted to one person's passion for collecting a particular player, such as David W's Lou Brock collection. It surprises me that we don't see more threads like this, so I thought I'd start one on my favorite post-war player to collect.

Why Roberto? When I started collecting in the mid 1970s, I traded cards with other kids at school during recess. I remember a classmate bragging that he had a Roberto Clemente card, but I had no idea who he was. When my Dad came home from work that day, I asked him if Roberto was a good player. I remember him telling me how he was a great all-around player and that he died in a tragic plane crash. I tried several times to trade for that Clemente, but I was never able to pry it out of my classmate's hands. A few years later, at my first card show, my Dad bought me my first Clemente card (1968 Topps) along with a Mantle and Mays from the same year.

I didn't start seriously collecting RC until the early 90's. In the beginning I wasn't too concerned with condition and for the most part I'm still not. So you won't see any PSA 9's, but hopefully over the course of the next year you'll see some items that you haven't seen before. I will post things randomly to mix it up a bit and, for the most part, post items from his playing days, although there will be some newer items I like. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1

To start things off, on my birthday this year, my oldest daughter asked my neighbor (an amateur painter) to create this painting for me. I wanted to pick a symbolic photo of him so I picked Roberto tipping his cap after his 3,00th hit. I think the result is incredible especially since my neighbor said she doesn't really paint in detail. It's water color on artist's paper using only 4 pigments.

Last edited by docpatlv; 12-31-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:24 AM

Love the painting. The artist did a great job. I am a HS art teacher. A+. I also love the idea for a Clemente thread. What a great player and role model. I am sure a lot if great pieces will be posted. I love the odd ball Clemente cards.

Last edited by quitcrab; 12-31-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Banned

Agreed I love following DBesse27 Yaz thread. The Brock thread is great too. Personally I’d like to see someone do a Brooks Robinson, maybe Mark70Z. I have the feeling he has a killer B. Robinson collection.

Definitely looking forward to following this Clemente thread.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 AM

Also enjoyed seeing the painting. I'll be checking into this thread, and will also be impressed that you have 365 different Clemente items to show.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:03 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
Agreed I love following DBesse27 Yaz thread. The Brock thread is great too. Personally I’d like to see someone do a Brooks Robinson, maybe Mark70Z. I have the feeling he has a killer B. Robinson collection.

Definitely looking forward to following this Clemente thread.
I’m not the best person with the computer thing, and I don’t have a scanner. My pictures that I’m posting currently are too small and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but it’s something. If I can get the picture thing better I can give it a shot at a Brooks thread, something like Brock, Yaz and there’s one on Mantle. I’m with the OP that I love threads like that no matter who the player is that’s posted. By the way I have a decent Brooks collection, but there are far better out there I’m sure. I don’t think I can do one that’s everyday, but I sure look forward to the one on Clemente that’s for sure!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:04 AM

I can't wait to see what you have
Old 12-31-2017, 11:14 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
As a player collector, I have enjoyed seeing threads devoted to one person's passion for collecting a particular player, such as David W's Lou Brock collection. It surprises me that we don't see more threads like this, so I thought I'd start one on my favorite post-war player to collect.

Why Roberto? When I started collecting in the mid 1970s, I traded cards with other kids at school during recess. I remember a classmate bragging that he had a Roberto Clemente card, but I had no idea who he was. When my Dad came home from work that day, I asked him if Roberto was a good player. I remember him telling me how he was a great all-around player and that he died in a tragic plane crash. I tried several times to trade for that Clemente, but I was never able to pry it out of my classmate's hands. A few years later, at my first card show, my Dad bought me my first Clemente card (1968 Topps) along with a Mantle and Mays from the same year.

I didn't start seriously collecting RC until the early 90's. In the beginning I wasn't too concerned with condition and for the most part I'm still not. So you won't see any PSA 9's, but hopefully over the course of the next year you'll see some items that you haven't seen before. I will post things randomly to mix it up a bit and, for the most part, post items from his playing days, although there will be some newer items I like. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1

To start things off, on my birthday this year, my oldest daughter asked my neighbor (an amateur painter) to create this painting for me. I wanted to pick a symbolic photo of him so I picked Roberto tipping his cap after his 3,00th hit. I think the result is incredible especially since my neighbor said she doesn't really paint in detail. It's water color on artist's paper using only 4 pigments.
I’m like you in that I enjoy viewing others player collections and the passion they have for the particular player. I also enjoy hearing the reason they ultimately chose the player they collect. Thanks for giving some background on why you chose Clemente; he’s a great one.

I can’t answer why other people don’t post their player collections, but for me it’s mainly the computer thing; just not good at it. With some help I may give it a try with a Brooks Robinson thread.

Sure do look forward to viewing 364 more Clemente items!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I just wanted to add that I realized a long time ago that I will never have everything. I’m perfectly fine with losing out on items, whereas in the past it would have bothered me. Once I had kids, my priorities changed. I’m happy picking up pieces here and there nowadays.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM

Day 2

Happy New Year!

This next item was always a Holy Grail piece of memorabilia for me. One of the items I really wanted when I was younger. I purchased it at one of the old Fort Washington shows probably close to 20 years ago. It's in great shape, the only problems are a small defect in the "E" in Pirates and the signature decal. It seems as though when it was applied, the right side folded over. Other than that, no cracks or chips. Really tough nodder to find in nice condition.

1962 Bobbin' Head

Old 01-02-2018, 08:57 AM

Day 3

I purchased this photo in 1996 from Ed Dolan's Baseball Fanatic Super Store in New Jersey. When I brought it home later that day I remember my girlfriend (now my wife) saying..."You spent HOW much on that photo?!?!?"

But to me, it was well worth it, as this might be my favorite Roberto item. Nice, large signature which is much more bold when viewing in person. Not sure why the sig appears lighter in the photo. Personalized "To Dick", unfortunately that's not my name although I'm sure I've been called one on more than one occasion

1960s Roberto Clemente signed photo.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:34 AM
George

Looking forward to this thread. Clemente is my all-time favorite. I was 8 when he was killed and remember it on a gut level the way others remember the JFK assassination. I recently posted a pic of my Clemente card collection on another thread. Here’s a pic of one of my favorite Clemente items — the 1967 Dexter Press photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D46BCD9D-5B5E-462C-A934-BF101BC422B1.jpg (12.7 KB, 1593 views)
Old 01-02-2018, 07:56 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hills 001.jpg (82.9 KB, 1603 views)
Old 01-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Whoever took that pic had a great seat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-10-2018, 08:29 AM

Day 11

Purchased this next item off eBay, tough to find especially in nice condition. This one looks like it came right off the shelf. The resemblance of these statues to the players is uncanny...lol, but for some reason I like these. Maybe it's the package as a whole with the stadium scene in the background and cards on the back.

1970 Transogram 3-player box: Bob Gibson-Roberto Clemente- Jerry Koosman

Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Day 11

Purchased this next item off eBay, tough to find especially in nice condition. This one looks like it came right off the shelf. The resemblance of these statues to the players is uncanny...lol, but for some reason I like these. Maybe it's the package as a whole with the stadium scene in the background and cards on the back.

1970 Transogram 3-player box: Bob Gibson-Roberto Clemente- Jerry Koosman

Beautiful!

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 AM

Thank you Jason. Funny thing is, I bought this from a seller many years ago, but after my experiences with him at shows over the years, I would never spend another dime with him.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 AM

Double post

Last edited by docpatlv; 01-10-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:44 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Does he have a different uniform # on that Temas?

Old 02-03-2018, 07:35 AM

Good eye Jason, I didn’t notice that.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:30 AM

Day 35

1957 Topps and Pirates Team card...

Old 02-04-2018, 08:50 AM

Day 36

Purchased at the Philly Show back when it was held in Ft. Washington. Thought it was well made and would be nice for display. Measures approximately 21 x 34.

ca. 1990s Fantasy Sign...

Old 02-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Nice item!

Quote:
Day 36

Purchased at the Philly Show back when it was held in Ft. Washington. Thought it was well made and would be nice for display. Measures approximately 21 x 34.

ca. 1990s Fantasy Sign...

Love that Mike!
Old 03-27-2018, 08:20 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Wow! If anyone would know what team he was in for the 1951-52 season, I guess it would be Clemente himself. Makes me think his bios need to be updated. They seem to suggest he was discovered playing for the Mules following that 1951-52 season.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:55 PM

Great detective work Howard!
Old 05-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

As a long-time Clemente collector I am really enjoying this thread. I worked on the PSA registry for many years but have since divested most toward building my HOF collection.

I do have two fairly unique (IMO) items to share: a 1970 team issue uncut sheet and a modern Topps reprints uncut sheet . . .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
As a long-time Clemente collector I am really enjoying this thread. I worked on the PSA registry for many years but have since divested most toward building my HOF collection.

I do have two fairly unique (IMO) items to share: a 1970 team issue uncut sheet and a modern Topps reprints uncut sheet . . .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Scott,

Love that 1970 team issue uncut sheet. The single Clemente is one that keeps eluding me.

I think I won something from you not too long ago, I'll post it later.

Mike
Old 05-29-2018, 07:53 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Never saw that Hostos before!!

Mike,

The 4x6ish color team issues are a bit confusing from 1966-1972. I still haven't figured them all out!! While some of them were issued in two series (A and B), the one posted, to the best of my knowledge was not. It is an off white/beige border rather than white like most of the others. PSA calls it a 1971 - I am not sure if the little research I've done on these corroborates that or not - for now going under the assumption PSA is correct.

Awesome Hostos magazine - never seen another.

Welcome Scott - sad to see your master set go.

A little more eye candy for all - will not let PSA touch these as they will have to fold (translate as damage) a flap to fit into their holders!! The 1962 box in my master set is the SUPER RARE 20 piece box that fits without folding into PSA's holder - Registration is horribly off, but only 1962, 20 piece box I have ever seen. Will post eventually. Enjoy.

Howard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8593.jpg (52.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8594.jpg (80.0 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8595.jpg (80.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8596.jpg (81.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8597.jpg (81.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8598.jpg (80.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:32 PM

Nice Bazooka boxes Howard!

How come I’ve read that the 1971 Bazooka no number is tougher than the numbered version, but I always see the unnumbered version? Was that erroneous information?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:30 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Completely

Quote:
Nice Bazooka boxes Howard!

How come I’ve read that the 1971 Bazooka no number is tougher than the numbered version, but I always see the unnumbered version? Was that erroneous information?
That I am aware of there is no such thing as a numbered complete box. I have seen a number (pun intended) of no number 1971 boxes. The 1971 Bazooka numbered was a test of some sort and definitely issued in smaller quantities than the numbered version. I have owned/seen panels and singles of the numbered version.

The Bazookas I own are one of my pride and joy's! Many do not know that there are 2 different size boxes for most years - a 25 piece box (like those shown and a 20 piece box - will eventually post a scan). Interestingly in my experience different years prove more elusive in different sizes - 1962 for example - the 25 piece box while far from easy to find is obtainable (with patience and money) - on the other hand - as mentioned in my last post - I own the only 20 piece box I have ever seen with Clemente. 1968 and 1971 were only issued as 25 piece boxes (that I am aware of). A 1960 complete box is my white whale! Combing some of the biggest collections ever sold (Copeland, Halper and others), Speaking to dealers and collectors across the country - I have yet to even see proof that one exists - I have boxes with other players from 1960 - so I pray one day............I can complete my Bazooka complete box run with a 1960 Clemente complete box.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
A little more eye candy for all - will not let PSA touch these as they will have to fold (translate as damage) a flap to fit into their holders!! The 1962 box in my master set is the SUPER RARE 20 piece box that fits without folding into PSA's holder - Registration is horribly off, but only 1962, 20 piece box I have ever seen. Will post eventually.

Howard
Hi Howard,

Given your reluctance described above to slab your regular size complete Bazooka boxes, have you reconsidered that lately in light of the new "jumbo" size PSA holders, where I presume they would fit? Or do we even know if that's how they have switched to handling them?
Old 01-05-2019, 06:05 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Will not take the chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
Hi Howard,

Given your reluctance described above to slab your regular size complete Bazooka boxes, have you reconsidered that lately in light of the new "jumbo" size PSA holders, where I presume they would fit? Or do we even know if that's how they have switched to handling them?
I will not even get started with all my frustrations with PSA - they are adequately expressed in numerous other threads. I and most who look at the boxes know exactly what they are AND how nice they are - don't need a 3rd party opinion for me. They also seem to have a different grading scale for the bazooka boxes - as I have submitted some nrmt-mt 20 piece boxes that have come back with grades between 4 and 5 - a complete joke.
Further, I suspect till someone points out to them that the boxes might fit with unfolded flaps into the larger holder, they would continue to put them in the smaller holders! That said, I expect to see (and ultimately submit) some additional larger items (mostly team issued stuff that they will likely mislabel if they choose to holder them at all).
Old 08-04-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Mike,

The 4x6ish color team issues are a bit confusing from 1966-1972. I still haven't figured them all out!! While some of them were issued in two series (A and B), the one posted, to the best of my knowledge was not. It is an off white/beige border rather than white like most of the others. PSA calls it a 1971 - I am not sure if the little research I've done on these corroborates that or not - for now going under the assumption PSA is correct.

Awesome Hostos magazine - never seen another.

Welcome Scott - sad to see your master set go.

A little more eye candy for all - will not let PSA touch these as they will have to fold (translate as damage) a flap to fit into their holders!! The 1962 box in my master set is the SUPER RARE 20 piece box that fits without folding into PSA's holder - Registration is horribly off, but only 1962, 20 piece box I have ever seen. Will post eventually. Enjoy.

Howard
I just picked up a 1962 Bazooka 20 piece box at the National.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:04 PM

That is a great box! Congrats Rats...any other rare Clemente items?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:25 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Any idea how I could get Vera Clemente autograph through the mail???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:48 AM

Meant to get this up here yesterday. Happy belated Birthday to the amazing Vera Clemente

This original photo of the amazing Clemente power couple came to me from Puerto Rico and only has one publication stamp from "Bohemia Libre". I am in the middle of my research determining if it was from the Cuban or competing Venezuelan issued magazine. Either way it's a crystal clear piece and I feel beyond blessed to have this in my collection.img014.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk