NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Todd Schultz

Default The National--Accommodations

Can any Ohio locals chime in and tell me about the various hotels surrounding or near to the convention center? I know the Sheraton is where all the action will be again. Still and not to sound cheap, but Priceline says the Howard Johnson's Cleveland Airport has rooms for $49, whereas the Sheraton weighs in at $169. That could add up. Since I'm really only looking for a place to crash that doesn't have iron bars running from ceiling to floor and a stainless steel, no-lid toilet, how bad can the Ho-Jo be? Other suggestions or booking tricks to save a few drachmas would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Rich Klein

Default A few comments

1) $169 sounded way too high to me. I checked my reservation for the Sheraton and the reseveration made through the National said the average price was significantly cheaper than that. Having said that

2) There are plenty of hotels near the airport which are cheaper. I'd check with the National accomodations people and see which ones have the shuttle to the National. Otherwise, you will either pay parking (unless you have a Super VIP ticket) or a cab to take you to the show. Either way; some of your savings disappear that way. I will tell you that the gentleman who coordinates the National accomodations is very easy to ask questions of and may be able to help you arrange a better hotel than HoJo at a reasonable pric.

3) The Sheraton will have action; but in Cleveland, I usually prefer Hotels which are not the Sheraton most of the time. Many of those hotels are within walking distances of places to eat and thus you don't have to eat overpriced hotel food. That also depends on making sure I'm out for dinner each nite I'm there.

4) I once stayed, on a show trip to Cleveland; at a HoJo type place for several days to do what you said about just a place to crash. That was fine for that purpose but not for much more.

Think about those other costs before making your hotel decision and plan accordingly

Regards
Rich
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Ja,mie B.

If you don't know many people, you may want to consider ponying up for the Sheraton as it may be more social.

Disclosure - I have never been to The National and will not be going, I am just giving my impressions...

Edited to add that $41 bucks a night is super awesome. The other option might be that if you camp, perhaps ther

Last edited by cyseymour; 06-15-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Todd,

For me, I'm not trying to be cheap. I'm just a poor slob, so I can't afford to stay in the Sheraton & the other host hotels. But, I am definitely going to the Cleveland National. I treat the excursion as a mini vacation. After hotel, gas, food, admission, nightlife, etc,... I'm not going to have much money left to spend at the show, but what the hell... I still love everything about the National, particularly the social aspects. I'm paying about $41 (before taxes) per night at a respectable chain hotel, actually much nicer than where I stayed for the 1997 Cleveland National . Since I'm driving, I don't have to worry about the hotel's shuttle schedule. And, since I plan a lot of activities in the evenings after the show ends, I really am only at my hotel to crash.
Contact me if you want the hotel specifics.

Alan

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 06-17-2009 at 06:36 AM.