NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2002, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Posted By: jay behrens

Anyone else having a hard time, or not even able to access eBay? I have not been able to get a page to load since 830am Pacific using my computer and my roommates. And we have different ISPs. It almost cost me an auction but thank good I had not emptied my trash for awhile so the outbid notice was still in the trash and I was able to get the lot number from there and put it on my sniping software which did work.

Jay

Old 04-30-2002, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Posted By: Julie Vognar

yuou're sniping, and there's 3 minutes left to go, and when you hit "refresh," you get the e-bay home page?

Old 04-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Posted By: brian

Yeah, It took me until 2:45 to get on. Sniping software? Is this something new that Leon is selling?
No wonder I have a hard time at the last second.
I have lot's to learn. brian

Old 04-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Posted By: runscott

Old 04-30-2002, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Scott, It's more fun, but also more nerve racking. Can you handle the pressure? My record is 3 seconds, how it worked I will never know. Sometimes it seems like it's a basketball game and the home teams man is on the clock, and 2 seconds last forever. brian

Old 04-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Posted By: vorthian

Last week, for a few days, I was having problems with opening eBay pages. I had to refresh anywhere from 5 - 15 times which proved to be a royal pain while trying to sift through the listings.

As for manual snipes... I won an N172 Keefe SGC 92 with 2 seconds left. But that was not my best... I nailed one at 0 seconds and I think I saved the page somewhere - I'll see if I can find it.

I also remember a time when I was placing 4 bids in Teletrade right at the wire. I was going for 4 1934 Goudey's in PSA 8 and when I clicked "submit bids" I saw:

Your bid was successful.
Your bid was successful.
Your bid was successful.
Your bid was not successful, the auction has ended.

Old 04-30-2002, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Posted By: Elliot

I understand wanting to get the snipe in close to the closing time, but to my way of thinking you want to go in with your best bid at a time closest enough to the close time so that nobody else can not react to your bid, but not so close that you run the risk of missing getting your bid in. By this measure, I think 4-5 seconds is ideal. I never try to get as close as 1-2 seconds, I just don't see the advantage. Am I missing something?

Old 04-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

but I have DSL and a usually dependable computer. One night while in the chat-room I did two "0 second" snipes in a row, and Julie told me I was nuts. The fact is, when I'm listing a lot of cards I'm usually drinking beer, and since I start counting the seconds off at around 30, you can imagine what ends up happening...

It would have been real interesting to have had video cameras on me, TBob and a few others the night of the t213 Coupon feeding frenzy!

Old 04-30-2002, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

...beer slows down time for me. The night of the t213 frenzy I missed bids several times for this reason. Oh well, it was still fun and allowed Tbob to get a few reasonably-priced cards that I wanted!

What really hacks me off worse is when I'm sitting by the computer with about 6 minutes to go and someone calls me to talk about cards - yikes!!!

Old 04-30-2002, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Hey Scott I think I remember those T213's,weren't they listed by yorkcrib. I was also bidding while drinking, it's alot safer than driving, but sometimes you spend a little bit more than you wanted. In fact it's almost six, so I think I'll have a cold one. later brian

PS Nice price on the Smith last night, it looked truly EX-MT.

Old 04-30-2002, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

- there were so many t213's that night, and they were spaced so closely, that I got worn out by about the letter "G" and didn't have the energy to go for Lajoie and a few others that ended up going cheap. So I sat back and anticipated the arrival of two Baker variations!

As I remember, we've recently (last few months) had nights like that for m116s,Ramlys and Cracker Jacks - those are the evenings that make ebay really fun, even if you're just watching.

Old 04-30-2002, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Were you happy with your Bakers? I won the Joe Tinker and I thought it was graded fairley. I bid on several others , but you guys were just to quick. Looking forward to some more crazy nights. brian

Old 04-30-2002, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

They actually under-graded one of the Bakers and the Collins I won. I really wish I had bid on more of those cards, but I don't collect T213's. I've since rationalized using the Collins for my SGC-graded t206 HOF portrait collection (small stretch). I've owned a lot of t206 Collins portraits and can never find one that doesn't look like a cheap caramel card. The Tinker was really nice also

Old 04-30-2002, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Posted By: jay behrens

I prefer manual sniping, but there are many time where job prevents me from being around when auctions closes, so I let the sniping software do it for me.

Jay

Old 04-30-2002, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Default eBay problems

Posted By: TBob

I swear by Sims (who listed the T213s). I built an EXMT 55 Bowman set by using their cards and every single one of their cards was nice. Their cards were very nice and undergraded in the latest auction. I wish they would sell more pre War stuff. I found myself ignoring their grades and looking at the scans and bidding accordingly.
I also learned the hard way when i bought a "VG" T213 Johnson (no scan) from someone else which was probably two grades lower than the "VG" Bresnahans I bought from Sims on ebay. Blah.