NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default World Series Ticket questions...

Posted By: MVSNYC

just a few quick questions...

1. I noticed on older, vintage stubs (pre-1920), they might be marked game 2, for instance, when it is actually game 4 overall, but it is game 2 at that particular park. when did they stop doing this?

2. a rain check used to be good for when they made up the game numbered on the ticket...when did they stop doing this? because last night, for instance, people with game 5 tickets, used them for game 4...

thanks,
MS

Old 10-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well what happened "last night" is an aberration...

What St. Louis did was announce, when WS Game 4 was cancelled, that those Game 4 tickets would be honored for the game that was being rescheduled to Friday October 27th. And then they added that Game 5 tickets would be honored Thursday October 26th.

I think that decision was somewhat screwed up, but I undrstand the the 50k folks there Tuesday night were already out of a ballgame, and rescheduling them all to Friday night when hotel reservations should have been less full was the best they could do. Had the Cardinals have won games 1 2 & 3 then that decision would have been horrible, a game 4 ticketholder should be guaranteed a game, and if the Cards had won 1 2 & 3 and then Thursday night, then the ticketholders would have been screwed big time. The way they did it they reinconvenienced the 50k fans that were rained out, and left Thursday's 50k fans as they were.

Things become more of a mess if tonight's (Friday night's) game is rained out...

As it was, fans with Game 5 Tickets saw game 4, and now fans with Game 4 Tickets will see game 5.

As for those old tickets, the tickets were numbered cardinally (sorry, couldn't resist that) based on the venue. A seven game series would use tickets marked "Game 1" "Game 2", then the teams would travel, then "Game 1" "Game 2" and "Game 3" at that venue, then teams travel again, then "Game 3" and a final "Game 4" being the 7th game of the series and the 4th game played at that city.

I don't know when they stopped doing that. I think it was the early 1920s. My recollection is that the 1919 WS tickets are numbered in order in relation to the venue. I'm certain that 1926 WS tickets are numbered based on the game, 1 - 7. So it must have happened between there. Someone on this board will know.

Frank.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

I am in St. Louis visiting my son at colege and we just scored good tickets to game 5 tonight as some of the folks who came to town for the home games couldn't extend their hotel stays and rearrange their flights.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

What was the line in that old "Operation Petticoat" movie...

"In confusion there is profit." Hope you guys have a fine time at the game. If you see a ticket stub laying down after the game, grab one up for me and I'll buy it from you. Last 2 WS games I attended I found stubs, unbelievable! Game 4 of '04, found 2. Game 4 of '96 I found 3. Best place to look is lower deck between the dugouts, non-fans get tickets, or wives and family sit there, and they toss the ticket stubs.

Have a big time!

Frank.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

That was horrible. If the Cards win tonight, the Game 4 ticketholders will be there to celebrate, not the Game 5 ticketholders.