NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Adam

Default Picked up my first vintage card : 1955 Topps Hank Aaron

Pretty excited about this. I was truly shocked how beautiful it was in person and how much the color really popped. The corners are really good on it from what I can tell for a 5.

Can someone with a good eye for the 1955 set tell me how the centering is on this card?

Here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 hank aaron.jpg (76.2 KB, 240 views)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Beautiful card...nice. I have that same card in raw, and yes, it is a work of art in hand. I love the colors. Thanks for sharing!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Bill Gregory

Congratulations, Adam! I'm a huge Hank Aaron fan having been born and raised in Milwaukee. That's a beautiful card.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 01-25-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Al Richter

Default Aaron

Very nice Adam
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Chris Counts

The '55 Topps Aaron is my favorite card of the home run champ (sorry Barry). Like you said, the color really pops off the card ...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Mike Bodner

Great looking card!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Doug Goodman

That's a great way to start. Too bad you can't feel the actual card in your hand. Insert smiley face here.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Mikeknapp

Congrats, beautiful card, I hope to add that one to my own collection one day soon!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Adam

thanks for the kind words guys!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Very nice way to start out. What a great card.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Mike

Really nice way to start. You are kinda setting yourself for a letdown though. There aren't TOO MANY cards that will look better in your mitts.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
James Wymer

I think for your first card you have really good taste.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
That's a great way to start. Too bad you can't feel the actual card in your hand. Insert smiley face here.
His is NICER than mine, but I can touch mine...

Last edited by Harliduck; 01-28-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
His is NICER than mine, but I can touch mine...

I wouldnt mind owning a raw one but I just dont feel comfortable buying raw online and I dont have many chances to buy raw in person. Not to mention I'd be too scared I'd damage a raw one and be mad at myself haha.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
George Gogol

Great card Adam! I need Snider and the Koufax to finish my '55 set. You are well on your way. The centering is pretty on par for the set.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor952 View Post
Great card Adam! I need Snider and the Koufax to finish my '55 set. You are well on your way. The centering is pretty on par for the set.
Good luck, I hope you get it finished, is it a raw set or graded? Also thank you for answering my question about the centering, thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Great card Adam! I think you're doing the smart thing buying the high $ cards that are slabbed until you have a good eye for spotting any alterations etc. It can be hard to see trimming etc from a scan.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM
octavio ranzola

pretty card wow
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan22 View Post
I wouldnt mind owning a raw one but I just dont feel comfortable buying raw online and I dont have many chances to buy raw in person. Not to mention I'd be too scared I'd damage a raw one and be mad at myself haha.
You know whats funny...I have literally bought thousands of raw cards off ebay over the years, and have only bought a couple of trimmed cards and have been taken care of each time. I have bought 3 graded cards (and freed two of them, haha) with great success. BUT..my brother, who has bought maybe 5 graded cards got totally taken. He bought a 65 Mantle 4, and once in hand the PSA holder was able to come apart with his fingernail and the card had multiple creases. No way it was a 4, and no way the PSA holder should just "pop" open. He is currently in a battle with the seller and mediating with Ebay. This has been going on for a month. So with that said, by percentage alone, buying raw has completely been overwhelmingly the way to go IMHO and I won't trust anything graded. Just reading through all the posts on this forum has completely turned me off to an obviously flawed, biased system that is too easy to forge. Again...just my opinion and has nothing to do with your obvious AWESOME 55 Aaron. I'll gladly trade my raw one for your graded one...

Last edited by Harliduck; 01-29-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Al Richter

Default Graded Cards

John---you and Doug are going to get along great

I have a full Topps set run and they are all in sheets in binders, and any that were graded when I got them have long since been freed to their natural state. I can not say for certain I do not have altered or trimmed cards or resealed packs in my collection, but neither in my view can the graded guys. What I do know is that I will be the judge what cards go in my collection without the aid of a minion at a grading company who knows less about post war cards than I do.

But, I will admit I am just in this as a hobby. If you are an investor, or a hobbyist/investor, grading is a fact of life
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM
George Gogol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan22 View Post
Good luck, I hope you get it finished, is it a raw set or graded? Also thank you for answering my question about the centering, thanks!
Adam, I consider mine raw, I have about 15 cards graded, because the price was right. I preferred raw. My Clemente is a psa 4.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Al Richter

Default Raw

Raw is such an undignified term for a card in it's natural state
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
You know whats funny...I have literally bought thousands of raw cards off ebay over the years, and have only bought a couple of trimmed cards and have been taken care of each time. I have bought 3 graded cards (and freed two of them, haha) with great success. BUT..my brother, who has bought maybe 5 graded cards got totally taken. He bought a 65 Mantle 4, and once in hand the PSA holder was able to come apart with his fingernail and the card had multiple creases. No way it was a 4, and no way the PSA holder should just "pop" open. He is currently in a battle with the seller and mediating with Ebay. This has been going on for a month. So with that said, by percentage alone, buying raw has completely been overwhelmingly the way to go IMHO and I won't trust anything graded. Just reading through all the posts on this forum has completely turned me off to an obviously flawed, biased system that is too easy to forge. Again...just my opinion and has nothing to do with your obvious AWESOME 55 Aaron. I'll gladly trade my raw one for your graded one...

John,
I am sorry to hear about your brothers luck first and foremost. I mean I would love to own raw cards but like a few others have pointed out, with me just starting out the vintage I dont trust my eye yet and it's still hard to trust anything online. I just make sure to read through sellers feedback and buy from sellers who have sold quite a bit of the type of item im interested in. I have already picked up alot of info on what to look for on raw cards to know if theyve been faked IE: if theres a crease or corner bent up what is the color of card stock its on and how does that relate to the set and things like that. Overall I think ill stick with graded for now, I havent decided if I want to do a full '55 set or just do certain stars and hof's out of the certain sets i like. For now I'm doing Braves hof's (aaron,mathews,spahn) and certain stars(williams,mays,robinson) out of the 55 set.

Thanks for the kind words about the card, I'm glad so many people appreciate it like i do!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor952 View Post
Adam, I consider mine raw, I have about 15 cards graded, because the price was right. I preferred raw. My Clemente is a psa 4.
Very jealous of the clemente. I am actually surprised about the prices I've seen on some of the lower grade koufax's. still out of my current budget but I may have some hope to own one in the near future.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 AM
Lonnie Nagel

[QUOTE=bravesfan22;1078069]Pretty excited about this. I was truly shocked how beautiful it was in person and how much the color really popped. The corners are really good on it from what I can tell for a 5.

Can someone with a good eye for the 1955 set tell me how the centering is on this card?

My trusty JRuler puts centering at 32/68 L/R and 35/65 T/B

JRuler is free and takes most of the "guesswork" out of centering
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Agreed, Al. Raw means crude, unrefined. I tend to look at vintage cards as works of art. Nothing unrefined about them.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Bill Gregory

John, I want to echo Adam's sentiments. I'm sorry your brother is going through such a hassle with Ebay and that seller. I can understand why one awful experience might leave a bad taste in his mouth. If I could offer some advice, however, it would be for him to stick with graded cards, at least until he gets a little more comfortable buying vintage. It's an unfortunate commentary on the hobby we love that there are people who could do things like this, but overall, collectors that are new to vintage collecting are safer with graded cards.

I think some of the best advice I've seen on our forum is to buy the card itself, not the grade. That has become my mantra. If a card is graded a PSA 6, and it's got a noticeable crease, something's fishy. I always keep the PSA grading standards up in another browser tab when I'm looking at a slabbed card. I look at the grade, and then look to make sure that it meets the benchmark requirements that PSA have established for that particular grade. I pay close attention to the slab (the plastic case itself), and the flip (the information card at the top of the case). Does the slab show any signs of tampering-ie, is there "frosting" along one of the edges that would indicate it's been broken open? Does the typeface describing the card look right? If needed, I ask the seller for another picture, or scan. I look, too, at their feedback scores as a seller. Have they sold similar vintage cards before? If I'm buying a '56 Topps Roberto Clemente, and the guy's never sold a vintage card before, I might move on.

Remember, you (or in this case your brother) as the buyer have the right to ask questions. If the seller is legit, they should happily allay any concerns you might have. If something still seems off, you can always ask for input from the members here. Start a thread asking for help. If you'd rather keep the auction private, ask a few members to message you directly, and get their input. I haven't been a member on Net 54 for long, but since signing up, I've spent a lot of time reading through older threads, really enjoying the love for the hobby that everybody clearly has. And the collective knowledge of the members here is unlike anything I've ever seen before. This forum is one of the best weapons at your disposal as a collector. If a question can't be answered here, it can't be answered. Just remember that every one of the fine people here started out their collection at some point with the same questions you and I (and your brother) will be having now. They've been there, and can help steer us through the choppy waters that could lie ahead.

Last edited by the 'stache; 02-03-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Agree, Al - maybe we should refer to graded cards as "captives."