NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Mike Henry
Mi.ke Hen.ry

Default Shipping Insurance

I sell on ebay and use USPS for shipping, but insurance costs are proving to be a problem. I've had a number of customers complain about shipping costs, but I explain that I typically lose money on shipping due to insurance (and that's not even including the costs of materials, my time, etc). The alternative is to bake that shipping cost into my listed price, but I like to keep my listings as lean as possible.

I know there are 3rd party insurance services out there. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with them? Any pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks,
Mike

Always buying and selling everything prewar, ESPECIALLY TY COBB, and also 1950s cards.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:19 AM
Bry@n

I use Collectibles Insurance as do a lot of other board members. I am not a dealer so I don't know the dealer rates, but for a collector it seems reasonable for the coverage - and covers everything at home, away, and during shipping. Before signing up with them I read all of the various insurance threads on Net54 and people only had positive things to say about them, including a few who actually had claims paid out.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:53 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I use Collectibles Insurance as do a lot of other board members. I am not a dealer so I don't know the dealer rates, but for a collector it seems reasonable for the coverage - and covers everything at home, away, and during shipping. Before signing up with them I read all of the various insurance threads on Net54 and people only had positive things to say about them, including a few who actually had claims paid out.
^ This. I typically only add signature confirmation on bigger cards (which I usually roll into the cost of the card), and am insured through Collectibles Insurance for the rest.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 06-20-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Al Richter

I am just a buyer on ebay. If a seller charges for insurance or includes it in the shipping charge, and the item in lost or damaged in shipping, how does a claim get made ? The seller bought the insurance and owned the card so it would seem they have to file the claim. But if the card was damaged the buyer has the "evidence" of that. If the card was lost, I suppose the buyer must in some way affirm it was never received for the claim (I realize tracking proof may come into play in the case of a lost card).

Has anyone had experience with filing such claims and how long it takes and how easy or difficult it is the pursue such a claim ?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Do you guys have a link? I googled around briefly, but the place I found mentioned nothing about shipping.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Bry@n

Al, I don't know about the claim process. Someone did describe it in an old thread here and it seemed smooth. For the collector-grade insurance they only make you schedule things that you value at $5 k or more. I would assume a claim could be filed by demonstrating the loss and showing the sale price of the item, but I am not sure what they require in the way of proof. Depending on the value of the item you ship, you have to ship it using certain carriers or service levels to be covered, so you can end up having to pay for signature confirmation. There is a chart in the policy that clearly says how they cover different shippers.

The website: https://collectinsure.com/
Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM
D.mitr.y D.

They'll only require proof of ownership when filing a claim (credit card or Paypal receipt, a scan of the card, etc).

The amount that they pay out won't depend on what you paid, as they will determine fair market value at the time of the loss based on recent comps. This is a HUGE PLUS if your cards have increased in value, or you bought for under market.

This is what sets CollectInsure apart from having, say, a rider on your homeowner's policy for your card collection - which will only pay out what you spent on the card(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Al, I don't know about the claim process. Someone did describe it in an old thread here and it seemed smooth. For the collector-grade insurance they only make you schedule things that you value at $5 k or more. I would assume a claim could be filed by demonstrating the loss and showing the sale price of the item, but I am not sure what they require in the way of proof. Depending on the value of the item you ship, you have to ship it using certain carriers or service levels to be covered, so you can end up having to pay for signature confirmation. There is a chart in the policy that clearly says how they cover different shippers.

The website: https://collectinsure.com/

Last edited by sterlingfox; 06-20-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:29 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I am just a buyer on ebay. If a seller charges for insurance or includes it in the shipping charge, and the item in lost or damaged in shipping, how does a claim get made ? The seller bought the insurance and owned the card so it would seem they have to file the claim. But if the card was damaged the buyer has the "evidence" of that. If the card was lost, I suppose the buyer must in some way affirm it was never received for the claim (I realize tracking proof may come into play in the case of a lost card).

Has anyone had experience with filing such claims and how long it takes and how easy or difficult it is the pursue such a claim ?
Al, it is my understanding that for eBay sales, the seller is responsible for getting the item sold to the purchaser without loss or damage, whether or not the seller has insured the shipment. My wife and I sell a variety of relatively low-value items (mostly non-sports stuff) on eBay, and we purchase USPS insurance for shipments valued at roughly $75 or more (USPS provides $100 of free insurance for eBay sales shipped via Priority Mail). Over the years, we have had a few insured shipmentss damaged in transit, and our purchasers have always been very cooperative in sending us pics of the damage to attach to the ins. claims we filed online with the USPS (this is an easy process). And, the USPS has always paid our claims promptly. Unfortunately, the USPS ins. does not cover the shipping cost we paid to the USPS, so we end up having to eat this when we give a full refund to the purchaser. Knock on wood, we have never had a shipment disappear in transit, but it is my understanding that if the USPS Tracking System shows the shipment was delivered, the eBay seller is off the hook and the eBay purchaser is usually out of luck, even if it wasn't actually delivered. Hope this helps.
Val
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Al Richter

Thanks for the post Val