NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-27-2018, 03:41 PM
Brandon Bailey

Default End of an Era, no more HBO Boxing

Wow, I was saddened and shocked to see HBO will no longer be televising boxing from 2019 going forward and their October card could be their last.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:56 PM

Me and a buddy was just talking about that, so many BAD nights , Emmanuel steward , Foreman analyzing.Espn , DAZN, pbc better get it together ,..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149024462@N04/albums
Old 09-27-2018, 07:21 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Thumbs down

What a gut punch. HBO has always been my go to for boxing. Favorites were once or twice a year, they would a triple header of young fighters. Usually it's a prospect vs. some nobody but they usually had two good young fighters.

That's too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBailey View Post
Wow, I was saddened and shocked to see HBO will no longer be televising boxing from 2019 going forward and their October card could be their last.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

#&*$^^#^!!!! I am a boxing nut and subscribe to HBO and Showtime for the fights, though I do like some of the shows too. So what, now I gotta watch commercial tv (ESPN, Fox) or subscribe to streaming services (DAZN), which I hate, to get my fix?

I am going to have to rethink my media strategy...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-28-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:58 PM
Dave Foster

Can't say I'll miss it. Never was a sweet science fan, whatever the hell that term means. My antipathy goes back to 1962 when Benny Kid Paret beat the dog s**t of Davey Moore, who ended up dying days later from the brutal beating. Totally brutal sport, if you can even call it that with a straight face. I liken it to cock-fighting and watching pit bulls rip kittens to shreds as part of their training for dog fights. Probably in the minority here, but whatever . . .
Old 09-28-2018, 07:36 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default USA Tuesday Night fights

I miss those. Sean O'Grady

Lots of chris byrd fights..
Old 09-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Brandon Bailey

Tuesday night fights was great boxing mid week. The Mercer Morrison double headers leading up to there eventual showdown were awesome.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:58 PM
Murr the Blurr

Yo, pclpads:
Although I respect your antipathy towards "the noble art", you should get your facts straight. Davey Moore was killed in his fight with Sugar Ramos in 1963. Benny Paret died from the beating he took from Emile Griffith in 1962. And yes, both bouts aired live on national television.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:08 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Not the same to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Can't say I'll miss it. Never was a sweet science fan, whatever the hell that term means. My antipathy goes back to 1962 when Benny Kid Paret beat the dog s**t of Davey Moore, who ended up dying days later from the brutal beating. Totally brutal sport, if you can even call it that with a straight face. I liken it to cock-fighting and watching pit bulls rip kittens to shreds as part of their training for dog fights. Probably in the minority here, but whatever . . .
Not really a fight fan, but to me the big difference between your examples is that humans can make the choice on their own to enter or not enter the ring that choice is not given to the animals. I understand its appeal i am just not into watching people receive punishment. Just not my thing, but to each his own. I did like watching fights when my late Pop Pop was alive because he would get so excited for them one of the few things that did excite him.

Last edited by glynparson; 09-30-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:40 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
yes you are in the minority......so are the people against tackle football at all levels due to all the head injuries that are being sustained
Old 10-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
Yo, pclpads:
Although I respect your antipathy towards "the noble art", you should get your facts straight. Davey Moore was killed in his fight with Sugar Ramos in 1963. Benny Paret died from the beating he took from Emile Griffith in 1962. And yes, both bouts aired live on national television.
Thanks for the corrections. As I always say, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.