NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-27-2015, 02:55 PM
Jeff H

I have a question for the HOF voters. If a player isn't worthy of getting in their first year of eligibility, how are they worthy a year or more later? The way I look at it is you are either good enough to be in the Hall or your not. After retirement players stats don't get better with age.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
I have a question for the HOF voters. If a player isn't worthy of getting in their first year of eligibility, how are they worthy a year or more later? The way I look at it is you are either good enough to be in the Hall or your not. After retirement players stats don't get better with age.
There are different levels of Hall of Famers. At the very top, you have the immortals, like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Walter Johnson, Stan Musial, Willie Mays and Christy Mathewson. These are the guys who deserve to be voted in on the first ballot. No waiting, Mr. Gehrig, here's your table.

Then there are guys like Duke Snider, Eddie Mathews and Orlando Cepeda. Clearly Hall of Fame players, but not quite on the same level as the true legends of the game. There is a hierarchy within the Hall, and I believe the voters handle their ballots to reflect this. Some will put their guys on their ballot right away, while some make players they eventually vote for wait a while.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:17 PM
N@te

Griffey
Bonds
Piazza
Kent

As far as Kent being compared to a 1st and 3rd baseman isn't right. His position was 2nd, and he should be compared as such.

As for his defense- saying his defense was horrible is a little harsh. I'd say it's pretty avg. People are saying Vizquel is a HOF'er. For what, because of his defense?

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl

Last edited by UnVme7; 01-03-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 PM

Maybe the HOf should have 2 buildings.

One for the immortals like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Walter Johnson, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Christy Mathewson, Clemente, Aaron, Mantle, etc,...

And another building for guys like Kent, Cepeda, Jeff Bagwell, Trevor Hoffman
Mike Piazza, Tim Raines, Curt Schilling, Nomar Garciaparra, Larry Walker, etc,... that writers, broadcasters, and fans can debate til the end of time.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Maybe the HOf should have 2 buildings.

One for the immortals like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Walter Johnson, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Christy Mathewson, Clemente, Aaron, Mantle, etc,...

And another building for guys like Kent, Cepeda, Jeff Bagwell, Trevor Hoffman
Mike Piazza, Tim Raines, Curt Schilling, Nomar Garciaparra, Larry Walker, etc,... that writers, broadcasters, and fans can debate til the end of time.
I don't see how anyone is less worthy simply because of debate. I think there are certain players that people just didn't know were that good.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post

I don't agree with that. Sometimes a player's career takes on a different context as time goes on. Goose Gossage is a good example of that. Today closers pitch one inning. Over time people saw the contribution of Gossage as having a greater significance given the nature of the position today. That's likely why he's in.

Other times there's a high level of competition for votes. So even though a player has a HOF career, he may enter the voting at a bad time where people are forced to vote for one person over another. That could delay election like it did for Biggio.

Last edited by packs; 01-04-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't agree with that. Sometimes a player's career takes on a different context as time goes on. Goose Gossage is a good example of that. Today closers pitch one inning. Over time people saw the contribution of Gossage as having a greater significance given the nature of the position today. That's likely why he's in.

Other times there's a high level of competition for votes. So even though a player has a HOF career, he may enter the voting at a bad time where people are forced to vote for one person over another. That could delay election like it did for Biggio.
Great points...
Gossage was a closer when the position required someone to pitch multiple innings. Guys like Hoffman coming into a new inning with the bases empty, and with a lead, didn't know pressure like Goose and his contemporaries did. Relievers today would panic if they had to come in with 1 out in the 8th and runners on 1st and 3rd, and THEN pitch the 9th. The game changed immensely and voters finally realized just how impressive it was to do what Gossage did.

As far as competition for votes, that could be fixed by allowing voters to vote for as many candidates as they like. The ballot is already vetted to a large degree before reaching the voters, so my opinion is that if the player's name appears on the ballot someone should be allowed to cast a vote for them without having to sacrifice a vote for someone else. That way the folks trying to keep Alan Trammell and Lee Smith on the ballot would still be able to vote for the slam-dunk guys like Greg Maddux without worry that their candidate might not meet the minimum requirement.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

I like your point, but think Biggio is a bad example. Many don't think he's a qualified HOFer, 3,000 hits or not.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I like your point, but think Biggio is a bad example. Many don't think he's a qualified HOFer, 3,000 hits or not.
That may be but in 2013 5 players got more than 50 percent of the vote and in 2014 3 players got elected. So Biggio had a fight ahead of him when he entered the vote.