NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Pre-1900 Women's baseball cards

Posted By: Dave F

I'm a little curious if anyone has any knowledge of any of the pre-1900 women cards? Which sets have any at any value? Are most of them worth just a minimal amount? Would just the cabinet cards be worth anything?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...if you ever come across any Vassar Resolutes cards.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Dave

I've had this for a while (and have posted it before)--it's a larger size, about 4 " tall, but is cardboard.

Don't know anything about it.

Max

Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Interesting card Max...

Does anybody even know of a checklist for women's cards? Any price guides or anything?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

for this stream of consciousness but I just spent nearly two hours writing this response - got logged off - and lost the whole thing. Yeshhhhhhhhh. Oh well as it's a labor of love I will make this final attempt. I will not apologize for the construction, presentation, spelling (sorry Barry if you is reading this), or lack of coherent or cogent thought and because I am old, retired, and at peace with myself; I will not be embarrassed either. It is what it be.
I collect 19th century women baseball cards and photos and have since 1994/5. I offer the following set and price observations as food for thought.
There are two types of cabinet size and larger mounted photographs depicting women base ball players. Those with advertising and those without. The ones without any brand advertising are typically vanity photos - those in which the team might go to a studio to capture a particular moment in time. They are infrequently encountered and most often part of a family's history. When I was actively seeking them outside of the hobby in the mid-1990's, I managed to accumulate 10/11 examples. They featured women in uniform with manager and equipment in the same manner as those of men's teams of the period. They could be found in the 75.00 to 250.00 range. Their value is a reflection of the view of them as novelty/generic representations much in the same manner I think that women playing a man's game was viewed. There is also little in terms of historical record that supports higher prices apart from the scarcity demand issues. The advertising ones I own and have seen are all Allen and Ginter brands, feature women in uniform in a studio setting with and without props and most with a painted backdrop. There are mostly found in "playing" poses. There are three sizes. The smallest is typical cabinet photo size (4 1/4 x 6 1/2) and the largest are 9 sumptin by 12 sumptin (don't have them at hand). They feature titles for "Black Stocking Nine" and "Polka Dot Nine" (population far more scarce than the former-perhaps 10 to 1). The cabinet sized examples trade in the 600.00 and up range, the medium size 800.00 and up, and the largest examples are so infrequently traded that it comes down to the buyer and seller thing. I was offered a couple by an historical paper dealer in 1996 or so for 1300.00 each. One sold in Allentown circa 1996 as well for 1000.00, at least one was sold in the Sotheby's "Wagner" auction in 1998(?) for a slightly higher hammer (with buyer's PENALTY as I like to call it), and couple were in REA auction last April (YOU can look it up:-)). I recently sold some in excess of 1000.00. There are at least 10 unique images that I know of and would guess that there are more although the paucity of available information and examples mask the population and members of the set.
(Wow a new paragraph:-) I'm putting myself to sleep just writing this......
There are small images as well. Two different real photo insert sets in sepia playing poses and one insepia colors that is NOT a real photo but an image copied from a real photo (cheaper to produce). Also studio poses. All Allen and Ginter products - Virginia Brights - Sub Rosa. Some with number and pose variations as well as different advertising reverses. Each set has nine examples if I remember correctly but I don't have them in front of me, nor do I have my WTI. I was actively buying them in the mid-1990's in singles and lots in the 25.00 to 45.00 range. I began selling them a few years ago when they started to go for 150.00 and up. Slabbed after the national a couple of years ago I remember getting 225.00 or so for few in VG/X. I think interest has waned a bit except for the type collector and surmise some spotty eBay sales will bear me out that 125.00 to 200.00 is more today's price. Other than comic postcards that sell in the 5.00 to 20.00 range, and less generic named team/player advertising pieces of the same size (like Star baseball club and a couple of others whose names escape me) that sell in the 75.00 to 125.00 range, we are left with my favorite inserts. Resplendent in bright chromolithographic imagery; there are three sets with women BB players: N360 - set of nine different, N557 "National Sports" one card "America" (what a coinkidink), and N285 "Morning Glory Maidens" also with a single card. Additionallly there is an entry in Forbes and Mitchell's American Tobacco Cards attributed to Non-sport hobby legend and cataloger(sp?) Chris Benjamin (done a LOT in past for the GROWTH of the hobby) of a series designated N694 Risido Cigars. It states unknown size-number in series-subjects. I have never seen one. These litho cards mentioned above typically sell in the 150.00 to 350.00 range although prices on collectibles such as this are rarely static and subject to gusts of wind or moments of desolation.
NOW COMES THE GOOD PART:
First I believe that the women depicted were actually Ginter's "cigarette making girls". These were actual women who rolled their cigarettes before he utilized a machine to perform the function. They produced a large set of small photo insert cards featuring these un-named women over a couple of years. They produced some spectacular cabinet and larger mounted photos of them as well. They are some of my favorite advertising pieces. They must have been popular as "sex sells". It is not much of a stretch to think that they might exploit this and capitalize on interest in the increasingly popular national game of baseball by fielding or at least advertising a team with women. Whether they fielded an actual team or not I don't know. I remember Don Flanagan telling me once that he had seen a contract for the Black Stocking Nine. I have no reason not to believe him. It is curious that there doesn't appear to be a name or at least initials to identify the team on the uniforms. No matter.
Second relates to these women and what I believe to be their appearance on the DUKE N154 "Presidential Baseball Club" series. In this series presidents and candidates are depicted with their heads superimposed on uniformed player bodies. I have examined most all of the smaller Ginter inserts and many of the Duke heads. It is clear that there are no EXACT matches however the porcine bodies, nearly exact studio poses and painted backgrounds, and same uniforms suggest that it's the SAME women under dem heads and not men. It was common in those days for printers and manufacturers of trade cards to sell the same image to more than one company. Photographers did the same thing. Remember there was no EXACT duplication near as I can figure so a similar image could still be thought of as unique. The best example I can offer is from a Goodwin copyrighted baseball player cabinet my friend and I sold in REA a few years ago with P.H.Mayo Brothers advertising at the top (of note too is that photo appeared with a date 4 or more years PRIOR to any known Mayo insert). Mayo and Goodwin were clearly different companies.

Done for now. I know I have probably hurt myself in exploring the price and perhaps availability issues as candidly as I have. This is my hobby. Knowledge is King. I share for the benefit of all and to repay dem what has come before me and shared what they knew. Most knowledge is a product of someone else's labor. Besides....I have most of this stuff already "-). Please add what you can.

BUT

I am always buying any of the above...

My mantra

I wanted to
so I did
because I can

Edited to add the following: Dixie was another of the Ginter brands in the N48 Girl Baseball Players series.
According to book American Tobacco cards checklist found on page 8 World Tobacco Index Volume 4. Also N508 Sub Rosa listed as a Pacholder brand and not A & G. Noted as well that I think it was a sepia LITHO type issue and NOt real photo. I will post the correct answer soon.

edited to correct and add the following: I checked my Sub Rosa unopened pack and an advertising piece. M.S.Pacholder and P. Lorillard listed as manufacturers. Also, N508 is NOT a real photo like the N48 cards but rather a litho with gold embellishments.

(edited to correct small gramatical error that annoyed me"-)

Old 05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy

Five Sub Rosa's are now being offered on eBay. hmmmmmm. I think this fits nicely in the "power of this board" thread from a little while back.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Thanks for your write-up, very interesting. So what's the Holy Grail, the "Honus Wagner", of female baseball cards?

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 05-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Administrator

cow "-). While not the most expensive; I would say that the Polka Dot Nine is the toughest to find and nice part is all the examples I've seen are quite clean in terms of condition. The largest ones are spectacular (I've seen maybe 20 as compared to 2 PD9) but from what I have observed they didn't survive in most cases in better than g/vg. Cabinet cards were often protected by books and scrapbooks as well as photo albums. Dem dere big ones didn't FIT anywhere. One last admonition re: Sub Rosa. The prices I quoted for the smaller insert cards (which are only my opinions anyway) were for the N48 real photo cards. Although they were of thicker stock and more plentiful; they are real photos taken from life of real people. As the Sub Rosa are NOT figure 20%-25% LESs.
.......smoke 'em if you got 'em.......

Old 05-02-2007, 01:57 AM
Administrator

some confusion that MOST people have...... A "cabinet" photo is on a thick stock mount - measures 4 1/4 x 6 1/2 (most cases) - was actually named because they would often be displayed in a family's wooden cabinet in their living room for others to see (late 1860's-1890's general usage date). That is DIFFERENT from simply a "mounted" photograph on variously sized and differing thickness stock. This stock served to "frame" the images for putting up on the wall. These are LATER images (1890's-1930's-even later) and should NOT be referred to as cabinets.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Mike you are right about all those 3 and 4 letter diseases. I have most of the new ones. They knew I had some oh so long ago but hadn't named them all yet..... And just FYI, you should have listed the OCD BEFORE the ADD.
I am gonna post a few cabinet and larger photos of the woman BB players as well as an advertising cabinet for Sub Rosa. Da babe is smoking hot. I cannot post any pix of the smaller cards at the moment, nor any of the Presidential Baseball Club as they in my lucite display cases and not really accessible. At some future date when I get the rest of my life together and my room finished I'll post some.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Those are neat. Thanks for sharing....Those babes could be named "Pat".

Old 05-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I don't know a whole lot about women bb cards. I think the flurry happened concurrent with the N172 OJ's (or approximately so) and Virginia Brights, Dixis, Sub Rosa all put out cards similar in style to the OJ's. There were also cabinets associated with many of these. I'm not sure if there is a checklist anywhere, but since most of the sets showed players by position (thinking there were no female players themselves to include) I'm not sure how much a checklist is needed.

I thought about accumulating some of these cards, but awhile back changed my mind to go for cards with actual female players, not posed models. With that, I'm limited to cabinets, postcards and photos and so far have only picked up a handful. But it's kind of fun to keep an eye out for them and finally find one that fits my collecting profile for these - real female players, pre-1915 or so.

In the postcard arena, it's still mostly Bloomer Girls - Star Bloomers, Boston Bloomers and Western Bloomers. Western Bloomer Girls were founded by Maud Nelson, one of the players for either the Boston or Star Bloomer. I think WB's were founded around 1911 (and were actually a whole league) and the Boston and Star Bloomer teams from maybe just pre-1900 up to the founding of the Western Bloomers.

A few of the items (okay okay, ALL of the items) I've gotten since I started looking for these types.

This one shows that, even in the 19th Century, the advertising mantra was "sex sells"! lol. Check out Henry's pictures above, and compare to what real women players were actually wearing at that time (approx 1890). Haha. Kind of funny how "risque" those model uniforms in Henry's cards were for the time. Probably the period equivalent of today's thong bikini shot or something. (This is absolutely one of my top cards - actual size approx 4x6)

PC's of a Star and a Western Bloomer team. I swear these all look like the same women.

A few other misc items:

Oh - and Henry, here is the back of the Star Bloomer PC