NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Auction LOAs are a scourge on the hobby and need to be banned

MEARS offered this lot yesterday:

Described this way:

Title: 1910-1920 circa J.J. Jeffries signed 3 x 5 card (JSA)
Description: Vintage card with excellent condition signature.

Absolutely false. The card is a mail reply card that Jeffries used to respond to fan mail. His signature is a pre-print, readily seen as such by anyone paying slight attention to the item, or with my book, where I cover these cards. I bought the lot, for the Sam Berger-Jim Jeffries PC (bottom row middle) and to a lesser extent the Jordan-Jeffries PC, but if I was in any way relying on the AH or JSA I'd be very, very pissed off when I received the lot, sent it in with the additional fees (because when you get an auction LOA all you are really getting is a discount price on a submission to the authenticator the AH contracts with, not an actual LOA), and then had JSA fail it as a pre-print.

I think it is time we consumers start throwing around our muscle when it comes to these asinine 'auction LOAs'. Let's boycott them by not bidding on any lot that relies on them.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

or the fine print in the rules ection like

"cannot be held responsible for changes in the opinions of authenticators beyond 60 days from the close of the auction"

"Larger autograph lots (10 or more pieces) can contain some secretarial signatures and such"

and such = FAKES?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Dave

Great set of auctions last night, but there were certainly many dubious JSA letters scattered throughout. Many of the group autograph lots you would have bid knowing there would be a fair number that would have to get tossed.

Best to ignore the COA's and bid what you would be comfortable with, whether they had COA's or not.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Dodgy opinions I understand. This wasn't a questionable opinion, it was an item that isn't signed at all but was listed as signed. That is worse than wrong, it is fraudulent. Any idiot could see the item is printed. The grey ink of the facsimile signature is a watermark behind the rest of the print.

Or not...
Old 08-07-2017, 12:50 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
or the fine print in the rules ection like

"cannot be held responsible for changes in the opinions of authenticators beyond 60 days from the close of the auction"

"Larger autograph lots (10 or more pieces) can contain some secretarial signatures and such"

and such = FAKES?
No, such = SUCK

"Larger autograph lots (10 or more pieces) can contain some secretarial signatures and suck"
Old 08-07-2017, 06:33 AM
Ben North

I quit buying from Mears when I won a bat that while I was bidding was listed as game used. BAM, then as soon as the auction ended and I won the listing amazingly changed to professional model.

Mears has done this to others I know also. Another member on here was bidding on a vintage photo of Joe DiMaggio. Then when the auction ended and he won at the price of a vintage photo the listing changed. He ended up with a cheap new copy. Crazily he still bids on their garbage.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Dodgy opinions I understand. This wasn't a questionable opinion, it was an item that isn't signed at all but was listed as signed. That is worse than wrong, it is fraudulent. Any idiot could see the item is printed. The grey ink of the facsimile signature is a watermark behind the rest of the print.

Oh, I understand. There wasn't a whole lot of attention to detail in the descriptions. I wonder if JSA even looked at all the lots they slapped their name on.

There WAS some nice stuff hidden in lots if you enlarged the pictures, that wasn't even mentioned in the descriptions.

Thought a lot of the group lots would go under the radar but actually got far stronger bidding then I expected.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I quit buying from Mears when I won a bat that while I was bidding was listed as game used. BAM, then as soon as the auction ended and I won the listing amazingly changed to professional model.

Mears has done this to others I know also. Another member on here was bidding on a vintage photo of Joe DiMaggio. Then when the auction ended and he won at the price of a vintage photo the listing changed. He ended up with a cheap new copy. Crazily he still bids on their garbage.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-08-2017, 05:29 AM
Mark O.
Mark Og.ren

Auction LOA's aside, they did a good job at keeping this one a secret. One of the best selection of autograph & boxing memorabilia offered all at once in quite a while and I knew absolutely nothing about it until I read your post. Would have bid up a storm had I known, many items went way under value. Quite a few happy people out there got some really good buys!!
Old 08-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's so true. If you happened to be on their list great. If not you would never have heard of it. Same as when they sold the Harry Shaffer collection. I didn't hear of it until the last phase. When I saw the stuff I'd missed I threw up a little in my mouth.

Despite the hide the ball stuff I actually thought prices were pretty strong when it was possible to figure out WTF they were selling. Still, I cannot understand how an experienced auctioneer could throw 600 cards in a lot with no descriptions and fewer than half shown or offer an 800 pin lot with a pick up only restriction. It is like they just didn't care.

And of course the usual ridiculous shipping costs. Over $35 to send me a few postcards and a small memorabilia item. I could ship it twice for that.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-08-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
That's so true. If you happened to be on their list great. If not you would never have heard of it. Same as when they sold the Harry Shaffer collection. I didn't hear of it until the last phase. When I saw the stuff I'd missed I threw up a little in my mouth.

Despite the hide the ball stuff I actually thought prices were pretty strong when it was possible to figure out WTF they were selling. Still, I cannot understand how an experienced auctioneer could throw 600 cards in a lot with no descriptions and fewer than half shown or offer an 800 pin lot with a pick up only restriction. It is like they just didn't care.

And of course the usual ridiculous shipping costs. Over $35 to send me a few postcards and a small memorabilia item. I could ship it twice for that.
You make some very good points. The amount of times I see key (and very valuable) overlooked items throw in group lots in major auctions is stunning.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

Sounds like they only offer the "shipped in gold plated mailers" option.
$35?, that really sux.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

OK, now it gets weird. The "JSA Auction Letter" turns out to be a full JSA LOA. The item, sadly, is a preprint. Here is the one I already own (top card):

Unless Jim Jeffries managed to sign these cards with identically placed and sized signatures, right down to the spacing of the loops between the letters, this is a preprint that JSA certified as an autograph with its full LOA, after being "thoroughly examined."

Really???

ETA: I do have to clarify one thing: the 'signature' is an overprint, not a watermark. Regardless, it ain't signed. I think I'll contact JSA...

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-21-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
OK, now it gets weird. The "JSA Auction Letter" turns out to be a full JSA LOA. The item, sadly, is a preprint. Here is the one I already own (top card):

Unless Jim Jeffries managed to sign these cards with identically placed and sized signatures, right down to the spacing of the loops between the letters, this is a preprint that JSA certified as an autograph with its full LOA, after being "thoroughly examined."

Really???

ETA: I do have to clarify one thing: the 'signature' is an overprint, not a watermark. Regardless, it ain't signed. I think I'll contact JSA...
The "signature" may be an overprint, but one thing is certain. The two examples you show are most definitely not identical.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Tom Boblitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
The "signature" may be an overprint, but one thing is certain. The two examples you show are most definitely not identical.
+1. Maybe different printings?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Agreed. Nothing about those two overprints is even remotely the same.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Perhaps I created some confusion with my example, which showed two cards, one of which was the same as the one MEARS sold. Here are the two side by side, the MEARS item on the left and mine on the right:

They look identical to me.

I just examined the two side by side and they are the same.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-21-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Default J Jeffries Postcard Authenticated by JSA

Net54 Members,

I was traveling yesterday and was not able to review and post a response until now. The postcard that was sold in our July boxing auction should never have been offered with a JSA letter.

It was an obvious facsimile and should have been removed at the time of our initial lotting.

I take full responsibility for the mistake and will issue a refund to Adam.

Regards,

Troy R. Kinunen - MEARS Auctions
troy@mearsonline.com , 414 828 9990

PS: If anybody has any immediate questions or comments, give me a call as I will have limited access to internet today for the purpose of checking this post or reading emails.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEARSAUCTIONS View Post
Net54 Members,

I was traveling yesterday and was not able to review and post a response until now. The postcard that was sold in our July boxing auction should never have been offered with a JSA letter.

It was an obvious facsimile and should have been removed at the time of our initial lotting.

I take full responsibility for the mistake and will issue a refund to Adam.

Regards,

Troy R. Kinunen - MEARS Auctions
troy@mearsonline.com , 414 828 9990

PS: If anybody has any immediate questions or comments, give me a call as I will have limited access to internet today for the purpose of checking this post or reading emails.
Wonder what JSA has to say about this????
Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
MEARS offered this lot yesterday:

Described this way:

Title: 1910-1920 circa J.J. Jeffries signed 3 x 5 card (JSA)
Description: Vintage card with excellent condition signature.

Absolutely false. The card is a mail reply card that Jeffries used to respond to fan mail. His signature is a pre-print, readily seen as such by anyone paying slight attention to the item, or with my book, where I cover these cards. I bought the lot, for the Sam Berger-Jim Jeffries PC (bottom row middle) and to a lesser extent the Jordan-Jeffries PC, but if I was in any way relying on the AH or JSA I'd be very, very pissed off when I received the lot, sent it in with the additional fees (because when you get an auction LOA all you are really getting is a discount price on a submission to the authenticator the AH contracts with, not an actual LOA), and then had JSA fail it as a pre-print.

I think it is time we consumers start throwing around our muscle when it comes to these asinine 'auction LOAs'. Let's boycott them by not bidding on any lot that relies on them.
Don't be so sure JSA will reject as a pre print. There is just as good odds you get a LOA from them. Probably not now since it was brought to light but if nothing had been said it's 50/50. All these places it is just a roll of the dice. This is IMHO, of course.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk