NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Default Who still has their cards from when they were kids?

Posted By: warshawlaw

I've got most of mine, including the first vintage card I ever acquired (1952 Topps Dropo) and first T206 I ever got (Johnson, hands at chest). My mother never threw any away but I lost some from a burglary and sold of some others while in school to pay for necessities like beer and pizza (wish I had all those T206's and old hockey and football cards back...)

Old 05-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I have mine - mostly cards from the 70s, but a fair number from the 50's and 60's and way too many from the 80's (graduated HS in '85). Believe it or not, I didnt have a clue about true vintage cards when I collected as a kid -I thought the cards I was buying from the 50's was about as old as they got. Actually, I guess I knew about the T206 wagner, but never really thought that there might be other cards from the era that were actually affordable.

I sure wish I had picked up some T and E cards back then - it sure would have been less expensive.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

But even my best friend, Richard Pollak, didn't collect cards; he collected comic books. I saw the first Captain Marvel (the original "big red cheese"). He talked about baaseball all the time, so I'm sure if he'd had any, he would have showed them to me.No cards.
But Bob tells me that at Riverview (amusement park in Chicago, long defunct), there were card machines--from his description, they sound like exhibit cards.

(excuse the '53 Bowman, he's just along for the ride).

Old 05-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Texas Ted

Back in the early 1970s, my cards were in a basement in Michigan and the water started to leak. I rescued them, but they were starting to smell a little, and I took them to a show in Grand Rapids and sold them all for about $2,500. I paid off my credit cards and didn't think twice about it until I reached my 50's and the regrets started to get to me.

I was born in the 1940s, so I remember opening packs for the little Bowmans and the early Topps cards. I really liked the older cards, so I would find friends with older brothers and swap for their brothers cards. I don't remember ever having anything pre WW I. I also remember going to the county fair and buying the exhibits from the vending machine for a penny a piece. Not sure what ever happened to those.

I still have hopes of finding something of interest in my parents house. They are in their 80s now, and have never thrown anything away. They still have all of their Life and Post magazines from the 1960s, so there is hope I could still find a small stash.

Texas Ted
Starting my third attempt at a second childhood.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I was born in the late 60's - I still remember older kids in the neighborhood giving me trashbags filled with cards - that is how I acquired a lot of my older cards (50's and 60's). Unfortunately, as you might guess, while a trashbag is a fine method to store a large quantity of cards, its not so good if you intend to keep your cards in good condition. Of course, back then, I believe that every card I owned was mint.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

It wasn't the first card I handled but it's the first card I remember. A Topps 1962 #53 AL HR Leaders picturing Maris, Mantle and two others. It was the first card I decided to keep and not flip or trade. I was living in Connecticut at that time and was a huge Yankees fan so I don't have to explain how treasured was that card. I still have it. I still have most of my childhood cards.

I was the most active collector I knew. I remember in 5th grade, I needed a common to complete the 72 card embossed set from 1965. The embossed card was just an insert card which many kids threw away. I offered ten regular cards just for that one insert card. I had the whole 5th grade searching for that insert card which all the kids thought I was crazy to offer ten regular cards just for a lousy insert card, but I badly wanted to complete the set. One kid finally found one and the trade was made.

But I wasn't so crazy - I was the best card "flipper" I have ever known and I obtained virtually all of my cards this way - many, many thousands of them - winning them - so it's not like those ten cards really cost me anything - LOL. Maybe once a year I'll take an old VG common, stand ten feet away from the wall and throw it against the wall...I can still get it within an inch of the wall almost every throw - LOL.

Steve

Old 05-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Identify7

I recently sold and traded off the bulk of the cards which I no longer want from my youthful "hoard" of 50s material. Considering that they only cost me the effort associated with redeeming discarded soda bottles for their deposit, I made out quite well.

I took the proceeds and purchased cards which I do want.

The combination of keepers and new acquisitions makes for a good start at assembling a collection.

I haven't progressed much beyond this point however, it takes a while for me to save up the equivalent of deposit bottles nowadays.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

A single card from my childhood survived:

1977 Topps Ron Guidry

I'm suprised it's in EX condition.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I still have 99.9% of the cards from my youth but unfortunately that was during the 80s and buying cards from the 60s was a big deal to me so it didnt happen often.I knew about vintage cards back then but didnt have the money or chance to get any till i was about 15

Old 05-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I still have 95% or more of the cards from when I was a little kid. My first pack was bought by aunt when I was seven (1978 Topps Baseball) during a trip to the grocery store. I still have those cards as well as the thousands of other baseball and football cards purchased during the eighties. My first older cards were a 1959 Topps Football Preston Carpenter and a 1961 Fleer Milt Plum given to me by my neighbor in 1980. I was hooked immediately. My father would take me to shows and shops and I would spend my five bucks on the "old" cards which were mostly 50's football. I still have most of those as well. After college I began purchasing tobacco issues and National Chicle football cards. Not unlike the rest of you, I wish I would have been steered towards the pre-war issues at an earlier age, but have managed to build a meaningful vintage collection in the last fifteen years. Most of my childhood cards are relatively worthless now, but I plan to hold onto them for no other reason of the memories they evoke (and who knows what they will be worth in fifty years?).