NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-28-2016, 11:41 AM

Default 1975 Hostess

I read recently on a thread (which I can't find here) about 1975 Hostess cards and panels. It was concerning the lack of availability of certain numbers. I recently, by accident, found a group of the same of all the so-called rare panels, such as the Gibson panel, all in fantastic condition. I don't know much about these cards and am hopeful some with more knowledge of the set can tell me how difficult the rare numbers are to find. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Last edited by craigpw; 06-28-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:14 PM

Hi,
I have been collecting the 1975 Hostess panel set for a number of years. Here is an article on the set. I have also added a link to my set.

Phil

http://www.psacard.com/articles/arti...e-1970s-issue/

http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistr...t.aspx?s=28544
Old 06-30-2016, 07:49 AM
Mark

That was my post about those numbers. The problem appears to be that it's all but impossible to find them in anything higher than VG grade because they were printed on smaller boxes and came out with a "crease" at the bottom of them. As a result very few people bother to grade them, hence they don't show up often on ebay.

PM with what you have. I might be interested in them.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 AM

Default '75

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
That was my post about those numbers. The problem appears to be that it's all but impossible to find them in anything higher than VG grade because they were printed on smaller boxes and came out with a "crease" at the bottom of them. As a result very few people bother to grade them, hence they don't show up often on ebay.

PM with what you have. I might be interested in them.
Interesting. I always wondered about he crease at the bottom
Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 AM

Default Brown In / Black Ink

Does anyone have information on the brown ink / black ink variations?

Regards,

Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1975 Twinkie Black Vs Brown017.jpg (75.0 KB, 480 views)
Old 07-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Mark

To me that looks like just discolorization rather than an ink variation. I'm not aware of the ink variation on Twinkies cards.

The brown usually appears on the box cards due to a different printing process used for the different products.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 AM

Mark - we seem to overlap on a lot of what we collect.... This same box issue exists for the 1986-1988 Drakes cake boxes. A few of the two card panels were printed on small boxes which barely fit and thus the edges are never found in gradable condition.

Also an issue on Kraft panels from 1987. Panels cut from the boxes always show bad edges / corners for the card on he left cause it was printed on the edge of the box. The panels that you see graded with PSA 9 and 10s were from uncut sheets that made their way put of the plant....

Also on the Bazooka panels with thier notorious box flap creases on the right hand side of some of the panels making them rarer in gradable condition.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Additional Information

Apologies in advance, I've learned quite a bit more about this set and I thought I would share the information.

In the July 1, 1975 issue of The Trader Speaks (“TTS”), one of the writers for TTS spoke with the Ray Facenda -- Regional Sales Manager for Hostess regarding their foray into baseball cards. Hostess & Twinkie sets were first issued around mid-April of 1975. He indicated the parent company, ITT Continental (“ITTC”) and maker of Hostess / Twinkies snacks, cited rising production costs as the reason ITTC was looking to boost sales and therefore profitability by creating baseball inserts we now refer to as the 1975 Hostess & Twinkies sets. In 1974, ITT Continental added football card inserts in Wonder Bread and were pleased with the results. The 1974 football issue consisted of 30 cards; the planned sets for 1975 baseball season would expand significantly. Mr. Facenda also noted that one side of the cardboard would be coated with a light layer of wax to prevent oil soaking through the cards. The Hostess and Twinkie sets were similar – but contained slight differences. The Twinkies set differentiated from the Hostess set, by having 60 cards instead of 150, had a black bar running through the top and bottom center of the back of Twinkie cards as well as font differences in the statistics section on the reverse of the cards.

The June 27, 1975 issue of Sports Collector News contained an interview Howard Knel, one the Product Managers for Hostess who indicated ITTC would not geographically limit distribution of the cards as other insets like Post cereal cards in the past. Much to the public’s chagrin, ITTC also issued a press release in July 1975, stating they would not sell complete sets to the public. The entire set would have to be obtained by purchasing boxes of Twinkies and other Hostess products. It appears that the 1975 Twinkies set was initially issued in 2 series – with the 1st series being issued in and around southern California around mid-April. By June the entire set was available to collectors in the Midwest, according to Jack Urban, a Hostess baseball card collector as noted in the August 1, 1975 issue of TTS.

Apparently, there were production issues and various spelling errors. Sy Berger – the genius behind many of the early Topps sets from 1952 onward, in a letter published in the August 1, 1975 issue of TTS, noted that…….
“…..permit me to set the record straight…..Topps did not make the set for Hostess Cakes….Topps lent the color photos to the Hostess people. None of the photos used (in the Hostess set)…..were used in the Topps Baseball Photo Series.”

“Further……”, he intoned in a rare moment of honesty, probably noting the spelling mistakes and fuzzy photos in the Twinkies set caused by the light layer of wax coating added to one side of the card,

“….I have seen the full set, and there are too many (errors)….I’m sure our degree of accuracy far exceeds the Hostess series”.
Although this statement is true, it is these errors which are endearing to collectors. The initial Hostess set contains a number of errors encompassing spelling names correctly as well as associating players with the wrong picture. Only 3 error cards in the set were corrected. The 3 key cards can be found in the “corrected” and “uncorrected” version. In all likelihood, the 3 errors were corrected in the original 1975 Hostess set some time prior to June of 1975. These errors are: Radar/Rader, Hooten/Hooton and the (Madlock) Pitcher/Infielder error. The Hooten card has both first name & last name misspelled – quite possibly a first in cards – with the Radar error variation the rarest of the 3 variations. The printer of HoHo panels apparently corrected the spelling of Burt Hooton’s name, with other print runs correcting the name/position of Radar/Madlock in each successive print run, accounting for the differences in rarity of each error. In the Twinkies set, the errors were never corrected.

Each Hostess panel was largely printed in 3 cards panels laid out side-by-side in different configurations to allow for product ingredients and other product packaging information. The Hostess set was produced with 150 cards produced in 3 card panels, while the Twinkies set consisted of 60 skip numbered cards using the same pictures, a smaller player stat line on the reverse, and denoted as Twinkies by the black bar on the reverse of each card. It is likely that the individual printer sheets, were tailored for individual Hostess products accounting for rarities in some panels, which went contrary to what ITT Continental had intended.

Twinkies and Hostess panels appear to have been printed by different printers at different times according to various demand preferences. A number of whole printers sheets for Hostess panels and high grade Twinkie cards exist. These were attributed to employees at various printers picking up test sheets out of the scrap bins.

Test sheets for the Twinkies set appear to have been printed in Cincinnati, OH. I was able to track down the original dealer who acquired perhaps as many as 30 sheets early on – some time in the 1980’s – and re-sold them to many of the early collectors. Over the course of conversation over many months, he indicated that the original sheets originated from a printer in Cincinnati and were printed on a sheet of 10 cards across by 6 cards wide (i.e. a full set) totaling 60 cards on a sheet. This of course, meant that each Twinkies card was printed equally with no short prints. The dealer also indicated that he never saw any variations in the Twinkies set – and the original set is complete with the “error” version of cards. Unlike most Twinkie cards, cards purchased from this dealer did not have food stains. I have almost 200 Twinkies cards including many from the original “scrap” find mentioned above and have yet to find a corrected error card. However, there are variations within the Twinkie set.

In the August 1, 1975 issue of TTS, ITT Continental announced they were already working on a 1976 Hostess baseball set. In all likelihood they were experimenting with various paper stocks to prevent oil soaking through the cards and other ways to maintain picture quality. They used several different styles of inks, with brown ink variation being the most popular ink variation. An example of this is shown in my post above. Successive issues of Hostess & Twinkie cards in 1976 onward can be found with brown ink.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Mark

Thanks for the update Zack.

It still doesn't explain why the three card panels numbered between 82 and 99 are so hard to find compared to the rest of the set. The easy culprit to blame would be the product they were exclusively (?) printed on. Was it on Ho-Hos and thus are damaged, or on an unpopular product? Another reason?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post

It is these errors which are endearing to collectors. The initial Hostess set contains a number of errors encompassing spelling names correctly as well as associating players with the wrong picture. Only 3 error cards in the set were corrected. The 3 key cards can be found in the “corrected” and “uncorrected” version. In all likelihood, the 3 errors were corrected in the original 1975 Hostess set some time prior to June of 1975. These errors are: Radar/Rader, Hooten/Hooton and the (Madlock) Pitcher/Infielder error. The Hooten card has both first name & last name misspelled – quite possibly a first in cards – with the Radar error variation the rarest of the 3 variations. The printer of HoHo panels apparently corrected the spelling of Burt Hooton’s name, with other print runs correcting the name/position of Radar/Madlock in each successive print run, accounting for the differences in rarity of each error. In the Twinkies set, the errors were never corrected.
There is a fourth "error" card that was corrected in the 1975 Hostess set along with Burt Hooton, Bill Madlock, and Doug Rader. Carl Yastrzemski was originally listed as "Outfield", but since he was playing first base more regularly than left field since 1973, the card was corrected to "Infield" later in the press run. The "Infield" version is much more difficult to find, but I don't believe it as rare as the Hooton and Rader corrected cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hostess Yaz.jpg (77.4 KB, 293 views)