NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Whould you consign to Memory Lane Auctions?
yes 12 12.00%
no 88 88.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Pup6913

Default Would you consign memorabilia to Memory Lane

The title says it all. Since there is a debate on whos who of the best I figured that I would ask if any of you would consign to Memory Lane.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 04-13-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Andrew you might want to do a search in Google, or on this board, for JP Cohen. Far more revealing than the results of your poll.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Kevin S.

IMO many acts are forgivable but others are not. As a Disabled Vet and former firefighter...let me help. Of course, you are free to make your own choice. Some excerpts from the FTC website.

The defendants and their more than 70 fundraising subcontractors allegedly engaged in deceptive telephone solicitations for nonprofit organizations purporting to support police, fire fighters, veterans, and sick children. According to the FTC, the defendants raised more than $24 million between 1995 and early 1999, but contrary to their representations, they provided only a small amount to the nonprofits.

In November 1998, the FTC filed a complaint against the above-named defendants, J.P. Cohen (a defendant not part of the settlement package), and the corporate entities through which they did business, U.S. Marketing and North American Charitable Services, Inc. The FTC alleged that in telephone scripts, "thank you" letters, and brochures sent to donors, the defendants and their subcontractors misrepresented that consumers' donations would benefit local purposes - such as holiday parties for sick children in local hospitals - and misrepresented that consumers' donations would support particular programs - such as buying wheelchairs for veterans. According to the FTC, most donations did not support a charitable purpose but instead funded the nationwide telemarketing operation and lined the defendants' pockets. In some instances, the defendants never paid the nonprofits, but simply kept all the money raised in their names.

Following a criminal referral by the FTC in September 2001, a federal grand jury indicted defendants Mitchell Gold and J.P. Cohen for wire fraud and mail fraud in connection with their fundraising business. (Gold also was indicted for money laundering.) They pled guilty and are now in prison. Gold was sentenced to 96 months in prison, and Cohen was sentenced to 37 months.

Kevin
Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Old thread. Archive lives!!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=cohen

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 PM

Beyond mention issue, I think they'd be okay for consignments. They get good prices and are well known. The issue would be that they are primarily known for auctioning cards.

Last edited by drc; 04-13-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Yeah you are right. It is so easy to overlook his involvement in stealing 24 million dollars from individuals. Obviously this was an isolated event and never would spill over into any other aspect of his life. No way anything unethical is happening now over at Memory Lane or while JP is on the road at card shows.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised to wake up with fleas.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Greg, until you can prove to me that JP is rotten, I'm gong to have to continue to trust the man. All of my experiences with him have been good. He's a true gentleman. A gentleman and a scholar, in fact. And you really need to be a bit more positive about the hobby. This kind of negative stuff makes my belly ache.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Jeff,

I'm sorry. You are right. No more negative posts from me for the rest of the night. It is really inconsiderate of me to bring up the negative aspects of the hobby when really the events are so immaterial and so few people are involved in them. I will try to lighten up...

Greg
Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

"What a shame that a few bad apples have to spoil a good time for everyone by breaking the rules."
Old 04-13-2010, 09:06 PM

It appears as though the quality of consigned goods to Memory Lane has decreased over the last few years... Is the news taking this long to filter through the hobby?

I just recently signed up for their auction....any recent bad or good experiences to tell?

Last edited by JP; 04-13-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Jeff

What a great country!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Matt Wieder

Greg and Jeff - thanks for ruining the hobby.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
"What a shame that a few bad apples have to spoil a good time for everyone by breaking the rules."
Well at least you can still attend JP's party at the National. Careful you don't trip over one of those suitcases or duffle bags he may have laying around. He is so lazy that he normally has other people carry them around for him.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Can we at least start calling him Cohen? This JP thing is freaking me out....
Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Peter Spaeth

Now that he is successful I wonder if he made restitution to his victims. That would be a good indication that he was rehabilitated.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

jp Cohen did a little more than just "break the rules"
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206DK View Post
jp Cohen did a little more than just "break the rules"

Hi Dave. Jeff intended it as sarcasm. He's been pretty vocal about going after the dirty side of the hobby and is sarcastic to those who are willing to aid, abet, or even stand idly by.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Default thanks Jim

That's cool, I thought he might be , but wasn't sure
Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Pup6913

Thanks guys the poll definitly answers the question.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Chris

Default Poll Pointer

If you wanted more representative data on this poll, you should have posed the question a bit differently. For instance, only ask those who have or are planning to use an auction/consignment service if they would consider using this specific one. I bet several of your "no's" are those who have never or will never consign anything. Sort of like asking "would you try a new type of cigarette?" without pointing out you are only asking those that smoke. Just a thought...
Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Pup6913

No the question is specific to this auction house as they are the ones that contacted me wanting me to consign to them. Problem is when 90% of the people say stay away thats enough for me. I had no idea about what was or had went on in the past. What a shame.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Johnny S

A real shame is many people will never donate to any charity because of exactly what happened, they think it is a scam. People need help now more than ever but you really don't know where your money would be going. This just tells me that Bernie Madoff will be free in about 2 years and probably be selling baseball cards.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Jeff

I really doubt you'll see Bernie in 2 years.