NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Default The Wee Willie Keeler Letters

I buy autograph collections all of the time and sometimes I never know what I am going to find. In the 1980's the local newspaper in Ocala Florida where I was then living ran a story about a baseball autograph collector who as it turned out lived just a few miles away from me. We became friends, he was then in his 70's was still very attached to his collection but promised me that whenever he was going to sell it he would give me an opportunity to buy it.
He had collected in two phases, as a youngster growing up in New Jersey in the 1930's he had written to many old time Hall of Famers as well as active players requesting their autographs, In this way he secured autographs through the mail of Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Cy Young etc. and hundreds of others all neatly signed on 2x3 linen cards that he sent to them through the mail. He stopped collecting sometime in the 1940's and in the 1950's took a job in Southern California. In the early 1960's he rekindled his collecting and since most of the old timers he already had he focused his collecting on writing to family members of long deceased mostly 19th century players. He recieved responses back from Cap Anson's family who supplied a couple Anson signed letters for his collection and from Christy Mathewson's family who gave him several "Matty" signed items including an early signed document and personal check signed by Mathewson.
He eventually retired in central Florida. Around the mid 1990's he elected to "test the waters" and put his Anson and Matty signed items in auction. He was none too pleased with the results and told me he had wanted to sell the entire collection outright. We talked about it and he concluded that he would offer it to four seperate dealers and go from there. Of the four two never responded to his letter and the 3rd made an offer so low it was laughable at best and insulting at worst so I ended up buying the entire collection.
Along with all the autographs he had which I had seen multiple times he had a large filing cabinet in which he kept all of the hundreds of responses he had recieved from family members of all of the long deceased ball players he had written to in the 1960's. He was a prolific letter writer. There were no autographs in the filing cabinet and he gave threw it in the deal if I would haul it off along with the collection I had just bought.
SO ......now onto the subject of Wee Willie Keeler. It was a few months before I was able to go through the filing cabinet and there was some very interesting letters written from son's, daughters, cousins, nieces, nephews of famous ball players all basically stating they had no autographs on hand. Among them I found a letter written by a relative of Willie Keeler around 1965 in which he mentioned he had several letters written by Keeler that had been in his family for years but was not interested in selling any of them but included in his letter was a photo copy of one of them ....I was astonished , It was evident to me that since the letter had been written 30 years before its discovery that the Keeler family member who wrote it was probably deceased and there was no return address.
I was never able to locate a lead that might produce more information about the Willie Keeler handwritten letters and eventually gave up and figured that someday, somewhere they would surface. To my knowledge they never have and that is the mystery.
Several years ago I ran a series of classified ads , in newspapers , periodicals and SCD trying to find them and to date not a single lead has surfaced. The letters obviously would be worth a considerable amount of money today. If they were still around and I would suspect they are out there SOMEWHERE.
Has anyone ever heard of ANY Willie Keeler letter ever being offered for sale anywhere ? Or any of the above mentioned letters surfacing in either public or private sale ? To this day it still baffles me.