NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2010, 06:28 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default pre-war post war comparison rarity and price

while being almost exclusively a post war collector i do enjoy all the pre-war stuff as well...what i can't fathom however is the disparity in rarity and availability compared to the price
In amy given year one with "enough" money can purchase any # of wagners planks magie etc etc etc It appears to me that these so called pre war collectors do nothing except resell the same card over and over again..in looking over all the catalogues for the last 5 years alone a wagner has appeared in an auction 15 times....if you have $200k to buy 1 in poor its yours for the taking...now lets look at the post war rarities...the most popular ballplayer of the post war era...mickey mantle
I dont care how many millions of dollars you have...lets see you buy a 1961 mickey mantle dice game...how about the prices of the tough esskay meats huggins is getting...buy any 1955 topps test stamps lately?
POINT BEING...post war rarities that surface.. are stashed away in collections and only reappear when someone dies...so you need to buy them when they do appear...
seems to me that wagners planks and magies arent really collected theyre just bought and sold as a commodity that any millionaire can buy every 3 months or so
Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Craig

Well your comparison is faulty because as already has been stated on this board plenty of times there are hundreds if not thousands of pre war cards more rare than the t206 Wagner or Plank. Heck there are probably dozens of other Wagners more rare than his t206.

Last edited by benchod; 04-04-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:52 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default rarity

that may be true but wagner still brings in the big bucks
restored clipped trimmed repainted someone cant wait to throw down their 200k...when theres another one for sale 3 months later and every 3 months...the point I was making is that when an actual rare card appears the real collector ponies up and stashes it away....the wagner buyers just want to say they bought a wagner and will probably resell within a year
Old 04-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

With the insane price of the t206 Wagner, of course money is going to be a strong factor influencing people to sell. Even true collectors as you put it would be very tempted to sell if their post-war rarities were going to bring in as much as a t206 Wagner.

As a side note, can we name the Wagner cards that are in fact more rare than the t206? I bet the high number will surprise a lot of collectors.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default rarity listing

how about listing the rarity of any cards or series of cards
Old 04-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Richard A.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your argument, but it sounds like you're comparing expensive pre-war cards that aren't all that rare [expensive yes, but not rare imo] to post-war cards that are rare.

I don't know enough about post-war cards to list really rare cards...but I'm guessing if you went back through your auction catalogs to compare 5-10 post-war rarities to 5-10 pre-war rarities the numbers drastically change.

If you look at 5-10 cards of which I believe fewer exist than a T206 Wagner, how many times did these sell?

E107 Wagner
E92 Croft's Cocoa Wagner
Voskamp's Coffee Wagner
JK&A Wagner
Texas Tommy Joe Jackson
ANY Just So Tobacco Baseball Card
Any California League or Player's League Old Judge

And for fun,

T231 Frank Baker
Maple Crispette Stengel

I don't have a clue on the numbers for these cards -- they might still be significantly more than the 1961 Mantle you mention, but I'm guessing the numbers might be more in line with what you're expecting to see.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Steve Murray

Default More rare than T206 Wagner

I'll start it off with a few. Feel free to add more...

N172 Anson Uniform
1911 Zeenut Bohen
Fans Baker
Alpha Keeler
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
Alpha Keeler
Isn't every Alpha -- and every Allegheny for that matter -- more rare than nearly every T206 on account of there being only 1 of each?

And how about a FBH Kelly or Ewing?
And now that I've checked out Preece's site, where do Lone Jacks and Kalamazoo Bats fit into the picture?

Richard.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Steve Murray

Already covered.

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 04-04-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post

N172 Anson Uniform
1911 Zeenut Bohen
Fans Baker
Alpha Keeler
I just meant Wagner cards more rare than the t206 Wagner.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Steve Murray

Default I don't know Percy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch

N172 Anson Uniform
1911 Zeenut Bohen
Fans Baker
Alpha Keeler

I just meant Wagner cards more rare than the t206 Wagner.

But I think the original poster was looking to any cards in any sets in any series.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

gotcha... that's a lot of cards.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:25 AM
pete ullman

Sets with rarer Wagss' than T206:

e103, e105, e106, e107, e90-1 throwing, e91, e90-2,e102...there are many more.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default rarity

what i am really trying to say is that if you have $200k to spend and you are a collector you would be much better off buying rare cards in an auction then a wagner plank magie etc
given a choice of buying a set of dice games or a wagner a real collector would buy the dice games...Why ? because u wont see another set for 30 years where as youll see a wagner every 2 months...wagners are being bought and sold like stock options
rare cards are bought by collectors
Old 04-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Barry Sloate

There does seem to be too many Wagners and Planks available these days, but prices for them are wacky and many owners see this as a good time to sell. Simple economics.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
what i am really trying to say is that if you have $200k to spend and you are a collector you would be much better off buying rare cards in an auction then a wagner plank magie etc
given a choice of buying a set of dice games or a wagner a real collector would buy the dice games...Why ? because u wont see another set for 30 years where as youll see a wagner every 2 months...wagners are being bought and sold like stock options
rare cards are bought by collectors
Thanks for clarifying the rules of collecting.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Eric Bea.chley

You are forgetting a very important piece. Demand. It's every bit as important as Supply.

Until 5 minutes ago, if I walked into an antique store and saw a 1961 Mantle dice game for $50, I would have passed. If I saw a poor T206 Wagner for $50,000 I would have done anything to buy it (then flip it).

I have about 20 cards that are 1 of 1 known. Unless I can generate enough "buzz" they will never sell high enough for me.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 PM

We've already done this list of Wagners that are rarer than the T206. I will try to dig it up and repost it here in this thread.