NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
appeal to authority logical fallacy. FACTS ARE FACTS and your amusing anecdotal, based on nothing, made up bunch of silly nonsense claims only tell us one thing. ex players are generally the worst people to ask about the game.

anyone who would dismiss Ted Williams' frankly AMAZING career because they walked too much and didn't win a ring is so amazingly fucking stupid that their opinion on everything from soup to nuts should be called into question as well as their sanity.
Maybe he thinks Bonds sucked too.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Nick probably knows this, but I bet there are graphs and charts showing that even the best hitters fall way off in terms of hitting stats on balls outside the strike zone.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
No, it is my opinion from playing the game most of my life. No one is going to walk every at bat, but I do know that you rarely score a run by walking. It is a poor team concept when your best player is trying to walk instead of driving in runs.

We are never going to agree on this, but to me zero rings is evidence that this walk first approach wins at fantasy baseball, but doesn't produce real championships. It's not like Williams didn't play on some good teams. You can give him a pass, I won't.
Regarding this dismissal of Ted Williams based on his lack of championships, I recall watching an episode of "Sports Reporters" in the late '80s. Dick Schaap was interviewing a group of reporters who covered baseball in the '40s and '50s. I'm sorry, but I can't recall their names. One question that he asked was "Who was better, Dimaggio or Williams?" One of the men replied "You want to know the difference between Dimaggio and Williams? I'll tell you the difference. Lefty Gomez, Red Ruffing, Spud Chandler, Whitey Ford, Allie Reynolds, Eddie Lopat and Vic Raschi."

My point (and the sportswriter's) is that you can't judge a ballplayer's ability solely on championships. Williams was a great hitter, and if the Red Sox didn't have enough pitching to match the Yankees this shouldn't diminish his reputation.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

DiMaggio also had Gehrig at the beginning, Berra at the end, and Dickey, Gordon, Keller, Henrich, Rizzuto, and others I am forgetting in between.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Regarding this dismissal of Ted Williams based on his lack of championships, I recall watching an episode of "Sports Reporters" in the late '80s. Dick Schaap was interviewing a group of reporters who covered baseball in the '40s and '50s. I'm sorry, but I can't recall their names. One question that he asked was "Who was better, Dimaggio or Williams?" One of the men replied "You want to know the difference between Dimaggio and Williams? I'll tell you the difference. Lefty Gomez, Red Ruffing, Spud Chandler, Whitey Ford, Allie Reynolds, Eddie Lopat and Vic Raschi."

My point (and the sportswriter's) is that you can't judge a ballplayer's ability solely on championships. Williams was a great hitter, and if the Red Sox didn't have enough pitching to match the Yankees this shouldn't diminish his reputation.
And, DiMaggio had the advantage of not having to face those pitchers. The only HOF pitcher the Red Sox had during DiMaggio's career was Lefty Grove, who was washed up by the time Williams debuted.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I'm not sure that's true in basketball where you have five men on the floor at once and all sorts of complex interactive things are going on and a lot of things great players do don't show up in the box score. Baseball, where it's a succession of mano a manos and nearly everything can be measured, for sure.
IDK man, Jordan needed Pippen to win,(and a better supporting cast) Barkley had great playoff numbers and never got one because he either didn't have the supporting cast or was unlucky enough to play that amazing Bulls team.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Nick probably knows this, but I bet there are graphs and charts showing that even the best hitters fall way off in terms of hitting stats on balls outside the strike zone.
indeed, unless you are a real freak like Vlad Guerrero (who somehow kept good stats even with a high swing rate on balls out of the zone), a batter should attempt to swing at strikes and not at balls. Better contact, better quality of contact and, .....................wait for it...................... better launch angles and exit velocities!

Last edited by bravos4evr; 07-10-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 AM

There is a saying in the Dominican: you can't walk off the island. Young hitters there hate walking because it takes away from their ability to showcase their power, which they know is key to playing in America.

Last edited by packs; 07-11-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
IDK man, Jordan needed Pippen to win,(and a better supporting cast) Barkley had great playoff numbers and never got one because he either didn't have the supporting cast or was unlucky enough to play that amazing Bulls team.
Right I did not mean to imply in basketball even the greatest players can do it alone. My only point and maybe I didn't make it well was that perhaps much more than in baseball great players do things in the flow of a game that may not be readily quantified. So, for example, we can't just look at Russell and say well his stats aren't that great so he must not have been that good.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-11-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
There is a saying in the Dominican: you can't walk off the island. Young hitters there hate walking because it takes away from their ability to showcase their power, which they know is key to playing in America.
I wish one of their keys was learning English. Haha.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 07-12-2017, 11:37 AM

I think it would be just as nice for American born players in Japan to learn Japanese.

Last edited by packs; 07-12-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:17 PM

If the number of World Series rings get you into the HOF the. Where is Frank Crosetti?
Old 07-13-2017, 07:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDice View Post
If the number of World Series rings get you into the HOF the. Where is Frank Crosetti?
Or Phil Rizzuto? Oh wait...

Old 07-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think it would be just as nice for American born players in Japan to learn Japanese.
I agree. That's called assimilation.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame