NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-08-2018, 10:44 AM
C@rl P@rk

Default Fisk Topps Basic Set - complete!

Just completed my Topps Basic set after looking for highest grades I could find/afford. Wanted to share it with the board since my wife and daughter aren't overly impressed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 10:56 AM
St@n Go.len

Women.....pfffft

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Al Richter

Vert nice. How many more to do a master set ? Maybe that would impress them :-)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-08-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:23 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Love this, really cool to see!

I was thinking of doing the same for Fisk.

I've done this for Nolan Ryan x5....but not in graded form.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Rob

Love the Fisk run. Dedicated player collections are fun to see, my Kurri graded Topps/OPC run is one of my highlights. Fisk had some great looking cards in the '70s. Thanks for sharing with those of us who appreciate it.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:01 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Nice run of Fisk. Can never see enough player runs posted. Thanks for posting. How long have you been working on the Topps run?
Old 04-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Al Richter

I don’t collect Fisk per se but think I have all his Topps cards as part of my sets. For a long time I could not find his 74 Deckle in white back and it was the only one I needed to finish the set that way. ( Had the set already done in gray back)

Then read something about him ending up drunk in a cornfield somewhere and shortly thereafter someone offered the white back.

There was an auction not long back of about 100 1981 Topps Coca Cola unissued proof cards of Fisk as a White Sox, all in one lot. It went for a lot. I keep hoping whoever got it will start selling some of them but have not seen one so far
Old 04-08-2018, 04:33 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Very nice, he had some nice Topps cards.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Richard A.

Wow, those look awesome all laid out like that.

Congrats on completing that run -- and thank you for sharing it with us.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Adam

I love it! Nice work. So many good looking Fisk cards, gosh he got some great action shots. What's your favorite card of the bunch? I've always loved the 91. As a kid, seeing big Cecil in that card made it a favorite of mine. But looking them all over now, I may be more partial to the 83.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Bob F.

Congratulations on completing your run! I’ve always liked his 1991 Topps card with the 77 a close second.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Congratulations! Beautiful collection! That '77 is a beauty. Do you also have a high grade 1982 Topps In Action? That was one of my faves as a kid...and your avatar as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Kris

Congratulations! That is an awesome collection.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle.../my-collection
Old 04-09-2018, 06:10 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Nice run. Enjoyed seeing it.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 AM
C@rl P@rk

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the kind words. I've been working on the Fisk Basic (overall set) for around three or four years now, and was able to finish the Topps part of it last week. Still have a ways to go on the rest, since I am looking to get all the remaining cards in PSA 10. Like Andrew, I have multiples of all of these cards in less pristine shape - but many of those have strong sentimental value. When I picked Fisk as my favorite player as a kid, my grandfather used to scour the flea markets and buy me every Fisk card and item he could, and bring them to me when they visited. So those cards are part of my "official" Fisk binder and have enormous sentimental value. I decided to do the high grade basic version as a way to keep my Fisk collection going (too hard to keep up with the modern issues) and think of collecting these cards with my grandfather.

Al, I still haven't tracked down the 1974 Deckle for my PC. I lost out on a PSA 8 at auction a few years ago, so it continues to elude me. Whenever I look for it on eBay, it's never there, or was recently sold. I wish I had looked after he got busted sleeping off a drunken night in the cornfield.... That's probably the biggest hole in my collection. I'll have to keep an eye out for that '81 Coke proof - I'm sure you'll get to it before me.

Jason, that '82 in action card is the best! And super expensive when graded! I think I'll just stick to the one my grandfather got me - it's NM and looks great in the binder. (for now - haha)

And my favorite is probably the 1974 - that horizontal shot with Fisk in the center, ready to make a play, the crowd in the background - it looks like a still from a movie. But I also love the '77, '91 and '75 cards.

Thanks again for all of the comments. It was fun to line 'em all up like that and share.

Last edited by KingFisk; 04-09-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: for clarity
Old 04-09-2018, 09:22 AM
Al Richter

An interesting story ( to me anyway ) about the 82 In Action card. When I was putting together my Topps 1982 Blackless set card 111 was listed in some checklists as a Blackless card, even though it comes from sheet D and the consensus is that all the Blackless cards come from sheets A,B or C. His regular card ( 110) and All Star card (544) do exist in Blackless

I did end up with a Fisk 111 In Action card that is missing some black. One seller calls it and similar cards with that defect from the D sheet "Blacklessing"....you can not make this stuff up. The black features on such cards are more gray than black. Maybe a case where the black ink ran low ( all of the Blackless cards can also be found in transition gray) ? If so all D cards could possibly be found with that defect. Or maybe it is just faded ( does black fade in sunlight ?)

Anyway, I picked up the "blacklessing Fisk" to put with my Blackless set because of the early hobby confusion about whether it should be in that checklist. ( It should not and as far as I know is not anymore)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-09-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Ben W.hitener

Default Fisk 111

Or you could just let PSA incorrectly label a 111 as Blackless Al! Haha
They seem to have an extremely tough time with blackless cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9C7F720C-49B5-4F68-9D6F-0979D672A4C8.jpg (20.5 KB, 97 views)
Old 04-10-2018, 03:51 AM
Tom D

Congratulations! An awesome run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2018, 07:35 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
An interesting story ( to me anyway ) about the 82 In Action card. When I was putting together my Topps 1982 Blackless set card 111 was listed in some checklists as a Blackless card, even though it comes from sheet D and the consensus is that all the Blackless cards come from sheets A,B or C. His regular card ( 110) and All Star card (544) do exist in Blackless

I did end up with a Fisk 111 In Action card that is missing some black. One seller calls it and similar cards with that defect from the D sheet "Blacklessing"....you can not make this stuff up. The black features on such cards are more gray than black. Maybe a case where the black ink ran low ( all of the Blackless cards can also be found in transition gray) ? If so all D cards could possibly be found with that defect. Or maybe it is just faded ( does black fade in sunlight ?)

Anyway, I picked up the "blacklessing Fisk" to put with my Blackless set because of the early hobby confusion about whether it should be in that checklist. ( It should not and as far as I know is not anymore)
Al, I was already tired this morning but that wore me out
Old 04-10-2018, 07:47 AM
Al Richter

Dan--- you should read these threads at bedtime
Old 04-10-2018, 04:58 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Fisk

I know I’m impressed...

Thanks so much for sharing your player run. I always enjoy seeing player collections and really liked the way Fisk played the game so I like the cards even more. I’m with some of the others and like to know your favorite of the bunch and why? Also, I agree that he had some nice looking action shots; there’s also a few that are a tad ugly, but you can’t win ‘em all.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:00 PM
C@rl P@rk

Thanks, Mark! I do think that the 1978 card was unfortunate - it's a shame too, because I always thought those All-Star badges were so cool on that set.