NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2007, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Default Article about ebay accounts hacked and hijacked

Posted By: Joann

Interesting, because just a few weeks ago we had a thread in which a few members here reported hijackings of their ebay accounts. I probably hadn't heard of that more than once in years, and suddenly we have a few reports within a few weeks.

It makes me think this article about an ebay hacker might just be truel

Joann

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/03/how_far_has_vla.html#posts

Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

but a few weeks ago, I could not log into my eBay account.

my password would not work.

I didn't received a 'password change' email to my email address.

I don't know if the account was hijacked... but somehow I wasn't able to log in.

So... I clicked on the 'forgot password' link... and went through the password change process... and I changed the password for my email address at the same time.

I contacted live help to see if they could explain what happened. They had no answers.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Joe,

I believe it's ebaY's new DEFCON security program. Same thing happened to my account a couple of weeks ago. I believe I'd hacked into my own account.

Occured after listing some things and I had inadvertantly tried to access the account while browsing with my 'buyer' account -without logging out. All my current auctions were 'ended' and 'fees refunded'.

It's a hassle to rereg and relist, but at the same time comforting.

On a related matter, for those new to fighting spam... You can easily trace spoof ebaY and PP emails using arin.net, then forward the scam mail to their provider's abuse@ dept. I catch a lot of asian and eastern european hackers doing this but, realize it has limited overall effect.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Same thing happend to me last week. Ebay would not go into great detail with me. But they said one of my 3 accounts was taken over. I said how do you know? They said are you selling a used Bobcat I said nope and IMD. chaged all my passwords on my account including my e-mail accounts which they said was most important.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

About 6 months ago my ebay account was hijacked. Here is how it was done.

The culprits used my ebay email address and hacked into my web server and obtained my ebay email password. They then then went to ebay, tried to log in as me and couldn't they then requested ebay sent out the password because they (I) had forgotten it. They then simply logged into my ebay email account and then took the password and logged into ebay, the then subsiquently changed my ebay password and email password.

Once they had my ebay account they listed several high tech items for sale on ebay using my account (BIN). I didn't discover for a few days when I coudn't log into ebay. When I requested ebay send me my password via email, I couldn't login to my ebay email account. Luckily for me, I am the admin to my web host where my email is located. I logged in via my admin panel and noticed the email address had been hacked. The culprit put an auto reply on the email address and forwarded the email to another email account.

They were Pretty slick...
I immediately changed my ebay email password. Changed my ebay account password and called ebay. They were very helpful and pulled all of the current fraudulant auctions under my account.

I was lucky and didn't get burned but if I had waited maybe another day, someone was gonna get burned and my ebay account would have probably suffered.

The moral of the story is, change your passwords often. Check your ebay account daily and if you can't login to ebay and you are confident of the password, call them.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com

Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: honus3415

Same internet security software?

Same sniper service?

Not saying this is the source of your woes but you have got to figure giving your ID and password to a website with undoubtably less security than the major corportations that have fallen prey to those same types of predators isn't a good idea to start with.

Moral - A lazy man gathers no moss. Or does he?