NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Default 1952 Topps Duane Pillette with Mize back???

I was browing the PSA population reports for 52 topps, and I noticed an entry I'd not seen before. It's for a Duane Pillette card with a Johnny Mize back. It lists only one example, in PO-1.

Does anyone know the story on this? I'm surprised to see it even listed in the reports...especially considering the House Yellow Tiger variety STILL isn't recognized. One example to me doesn't suggest an actual variety, so much as a very bad alignment between print feeds.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-08-2015, 04:12 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

It was done for Steve Verkman of Clean Sweep who found that card, and I believe a Sheldon Jones with a wrong back. I only know because I saw them raw in his case originally.

They sold under $500 each if I remember correctly. Hardly any wrong back 52s out there for whatever reason. Ony two I ever remember seeing.

As far as the House Yellow, since there are varying degrees of paleness in the tiger's tongue. It would be really tough to actually designate it a flip. My guess would be label any anomaly, and let the buyer/seller decide to what degree the overall paleness is worth. Then I'm sure people would be up in arms that the 1% variation they submitted didnt qualify but (insert ebay seller's name here)'s did.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Al Richter

Default Degrees

I don't know if they are srtill labeling the 61 Fairly with the errant green smudge in the ball on tha back, but at one time they were labeling it the same whether there was a speck or the bottom of of the ball was all green. Yet they were not labeling the same defect on other 61 cards. Plus as Ted knows there are many recurring print print defects in the 52 set that are not recognized.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:52 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

more recently a Pesky with a Stanky back in a PSA holder sold for just over 1,000

Old 01-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
more recently a Pesky with a Stanky back in a PSA holder sold for just over 1,000
Saw that too. Card was about F-Gd, badly mc on the front and it got the dreaded A from PSA. But, how unique, even at $1K + 21% juice. First one I've seen. Was following it, but it went for way over my $ limit.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:02 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

a monte Kennedy with a coogan back, and another sheldon jones with a law back just ended on ebay. Still pretty rare finds, I've never had one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 01-06-2019, 03:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Thanks for the bump.
I'm surprised PSA slabbed them; usually they ignore wrong backs since they're not cataloged. Are these official production cut wrong backs or are they cut down scrap sheets or salesmen samples?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
It was done for Steve Verkman of Clean Sweep who found that card, and I believe a Sheldon Jones with a wrong back. I only know because I saw them raw in his case originally.

They sold under $500 each if I remember correctly. Hardly any wrong back 52s out there for whatever reason. Ony two I ever remember seeing.

As far as the House Yellow, since there are varying degrees of paleness in the tiger's tongue. It would be really tough to actually designate it a flip. My guess would be label any anomaly, and let the buyer/seller decide to what degree the overall paleness is worth. Then I'm sure people would be up in arms that the 1% variation they submitted didnt qualify but (insert ebay seller's name here)'s did.
Quote:
Quote:
a monte Kennedy with a coogan back, and another sheldon jones with a law back just ended on ebay. Still pretty rare finds, I've never had one.

How long have these been known for, Ted? The only wrong back cards I knew about were of course Page/Sain.

Any links to those wrong back recent sales? I'd like to see them if possible?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:24 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

They are just misplaced on the sheet, not wrong bios

Old 01-06-2019, 04:24 PM

And there are more that are unknown.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:08 PM
Al Richter

That sounds like a Jack Handey Deep Thought