NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default Mickey Mantle Autograph Question

Posted By: Dan Bretta

In what year did Mantle start signing his name with the loops under his "M"?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Early examples (1950's) are traditional in character formation, with a heavier right slant. The beginning stroke, during the 50's, began at the top of the letter with a small hook before the first loop. The stroke that formed the character began to incorporate loops which gradually increased in size and flamboyance. By the 60's, the character had become much rounder in appearance with the opening stroke beginning to exhibit a large loop formation. The late 1960's saw the loop gradually beginning to dip below the signature line, and by the 1970's the formation became established as a distinct characteristic of his autograph. The opening of the his last signatures extended below the base line and as far as the "i" in Mickey. The width of the descending loop is inconsistent and the 'M" may or may not connect to the "i".

Hopefully you can date your signature from the above. Good luck. Sounds like yours is the 60's.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

What do you think of this baseball? This ball is in an upcoming local auction and I already notified the auctioneer that the ball is NOT from 1951 as they claim...I also told him that the DiMaggio just didn't look right to me. I asked him if it had a COA and he said he didn't know, but that he may go over to sort stuff today and he's going to call and let me look at the stuff if he does. I just don't think this ball looks good to me, but I am no expert.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

Mantle's signature was fully formed in the "late" form by 1966 or so.

I've got a single-signed OAL ball that he signed for me outside the Stadium in 1967, and it is pretty much identical to his assembly-line signatures.

And I agree--that DiMaggio looks bad.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

as the Mantle "looks" good although no-one can say YES on an internet image (although one can say NO to one . The lettering and flow appears good and seems to fit the the "second name slant" thing Mantle did later. Unfamiliar with JD.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

The DiMaggio signature looks like a classic example of his sisters secretarial work. Most items sent to DiMaggio through the mail in the 1970's were signed by Sister. It probably helps to date the Mantle as well to that time period as it looks slightly older than his card show era signatures of the 1980's and 1990's. I would say that without looking at it in person that the Mantle looks good and that the DiMaggio was probably obtained through the mail and signed by his sister.

Rhys Yeakley

Old 06-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Administrator

The mantle is good. The Joe D. IMO is not. I could go on for pages as to the reasons why, but I feel comfortable with my conclusion.

BY the way, Mantle's is not fom 51. Not even close. I'd say that mantle is more from the late 80's early 90's. Still a beauty though. He had a great signature didn't he ?? Love it.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the help guys....While the Mantle does look good I agree with everyone here that the DiMaggio just isn't right. I will pass on the info I have gotten here to the auctioneer. They have always trusted my judgment on baseball memorabilia.

I think the DiMaggio was signed first - probably by his sister like Rhys said - since it is signed on the sweet spot. The Mantle may have been gotten in person at a show or somewhere.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Well.....this baseball sold for $1600 at auction yesterday. I was not in attendance as my son had a little league game. I am really disappointed in the auction house for not setting the record straight on this ball after I talked to the auctioneer about the ball and that it was impossible that it was signed in 1951 - That is exactly how they sold it.

Earlier this year they advertised a Babe Ruth autographed baseball and they had me look at it - immediately I could tell it was a fake and they pulled it from the auction. This time I have a feeling they may have been intimidated by the consigner as he is a very well to do doctor that was selling off hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of items yesterday. They even allowed him to sell stuff that was listed in the auction before the auction started. A Hummer and a pitch and bat pinball game from the 1950s were both listed in the auction, but sold beforehand.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Not sure how to respond. The buyer was "had". No way that is that his 1951 Sig. It is a real Mick auto though. So the buyer only got half screwed. i guess a half a screw job is not as bad as a complete screw job. They old adage "Buyer beware".

Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Yep...even though if I had been there I would have told the buyer that there is no way the ball is from '51 and that the DiMaggio signature is highly suspect...it is still up to the buyer to do their own homework.

There were lots of Nebraska football jerseys there that I don't know enough about to say one way or another whether they were legit, but if this doctor had that ball in his possession (he obtained it from ebay is the story) and thought it was from 1951 then I doubt he had a clue about the rest of the sports memorabilia that he was buying.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

the Mantle appears fake too. The loops under the "M"s don't extend under the "M"s very far which is atypical and the screw up in the first "M" transitioning to the "i" is a bit scary also.

Rob L