NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default Upside-down airplanes, double dies, ghost images, spelling errors, small dates, etc.

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Variations, errors, and other differences among collectables are either fads which gain and lose in popularity, or they have staying power and maintain their value (and appreciate) over the long haul.

In baseball cards we have seen specific card types gain in popularity more than the general card population. These include:

1)HOFers
2)Rookies
3)Prookies
4)Error cards
5)Misprints
6)Ghosts
7)Spelling errors
8)Color variations
9)Back variations
10)Others

Of these, some I believe will continue to be popular and demand an increasing premium over their more common counterparts. Others will behave more like hula hoops, beanie babies, etc. and wane in popularity.

Although their popularity may not have yet peaked, I think that the possibility of a decrease in emphasis on numbers 2, 3, 7, and 9 is more likely than the others cited. And I do not forecast nos. 5 & 6 ever achieving much significance.

How long before any of these will see a change in popularity is certainly debatable. But that it will be anytime soon appears unlikely.

What is your take on these card types?

Old 06-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Default Upside-down airplanes, double dies, ghost images, spelling errors, small dates, etc.

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Sounds like a great idea for a new Poll actually. You could add "Proofs/printer's scrap" or "Handcut variants" to that list as well....

Old 06-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Spelling errors that are not corrected carry no demand. If the error is correct, then there will always be a demand for both card as there will alawys be people that are trying to build master sets.

I don't really see the rookie card phenomena going away. There will always be a big demand for the first card of a player. Color variations and print error/ghost images will always be a niche market. Back variations probably aren't going to explode or decline. We are seeing a big surge in t206 back prices because the set is readily accessable and loved by most, so once you complete the basic set, the next logical step to keep feeding the addiction is to start getting as many backs as you can. There are a ton of back variations in the Diamond Star set, but no one beyond the master set collectors really cards which back they get. This is true of almost all other sets outside of t206s.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I find that as I develop a greater appreciation and understanding of the cards I collect, I am interested in the manner in which they were produced. Printing freaks tell you a great deal about how the cards were made.

I think ghosts are eminently collectable because of their uniqueness. Most ghosts are wet sheet transfers. They are very rare results of random occurrences in the factory and offer a collector something very different from a run of the mill card that nicely complements a regular set. It also allows you to continue to pursue a favorite set even if you complete the base set. For example, I readily completed my 1948 Leaf boxing set but can still collect it by going after blank backs, ghosts, wrong backs, missing ink cards, etc.

Ditto for back variations, esp. T cards. Collecting a master set or a back variations set is a whole new level of complexity and challenge. I am master-setting some of the T boxing sets and having a great time doing it. Plus, there is the treasure-trove aspect to it, as anyone who's located a T206 Piedmont 460 factory 42 in a commons bin knows.