NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Is Mariano Rivera among the top 10 pitchers of all time
Yes 52 14.17%
No 315 85.83%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Relievers are sprinters, starters are long distance runners. There's room for both on today's squad. Don't try to compare them.
Agreed. This statement reminds me of the title of one of our game's greatest books: The Glory of Their Times by Lawrence Ritter.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

If he was really one of the top 10 pitchers of all time, he would have been a starter, something much more important than pitching one inning with the bases empty and no outs.

Last edited by egri; 01-25-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:15 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think the majority will vote no but let's see.
not even close....Hell no. Still dont know how he got 100% vote....Please
Old 01-25-2019, 07:48 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

No Not a Starting Pitcher
Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 PM

Default Matiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Define pitcher. Because if its the pitcher who wins you the game, Mariano is the best hands down.
Mariano is NOT winning the game....he is SAVING the game by getting 3 outs of the 27 needed to complete a 9 inning game. That’s why he gets a SAVE and NOT a WIN! Very simple reasoning here. If you are trying to say a pitcher who closes out a game by getting 3 outs with no men on base when he enters the game is more important than the pitcher who recorded 24 outs over 8 innings to put his team in a win situation, then I really don’t what to say???? Your stance makes absolutely ZERO sense. Plus, add the fact that the great pre-1980 starting pitchers completed all 9 innings for many of their wins, Mariano cannot even be mentioned in the SAME BREATH as these great starters. The pre-1980 starting pitchers were closing out their own games after throwing 100+ pitches. Mariano closed out games throwing 15-20’pitches at 100% capacity. No need to pace himself, no need to make batter adjustments because this is the 2nd/3rd/4th time you are facing the same hitter, etc. FYI, for the record I am a HUGE Yankee fan and worshiped Rivera. However, him being the greatest closer ever will never cloud my judgement regarding Rivera’s all-time stature vs. a great starting pitcher. No contest whatsoever. He cannot even be mentioned in the same breath with baseball’s great starting pitchers. Case closed.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 01-25-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:34 PM

Default Mariano

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Not only are we trying to compare players across eras, but we are essentially comparing marathoners to sprinters. Who's the greatest "runner" of all time, Haile Gebrselassie (marathoner from Ethiopia) or Usain Bolt (Jamaican sprinter)? Asking whether a certain pitcher is better than another across disciplines (and eras) is essentially asking the same thing. It's a silly and futile exercise, regardless of the metrics and WAR and other advanced stats that people can pull from their arses.

Relievers are sprinters, starters are long distance runners. There's room for both on today's squad. Don't try to compare them.
OK - based on your point, the great post WWII starters that pitched pre-1980 were BOTH sprinters & long distance runners (like the greatest racehorse ever Secretariat...LOL). Gibson, Seaver, Marichal, Koufax, Palmer, Hunter, Ryan, Carlton, etc. ran their 8 inning long distance races and then, for the most part, sprinted to the finish line in the 9th inning by finishing their own games. This is why Mariano cannot be mentioned in the same breath with these great starting pitchers. It really borders on insanity to think that Mariano can be compared to these starting pitcher studs.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's madness. But so far 40 votes for top 10 pitchers ever.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
It's madness. But so far 40 votes for top 10 pitchers ever.
The 40 votes all live less than 40 miles from the Bronx.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:23 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Ha! Great observation Watson.... no shit Sherlock......!
Old 01-26-2019, 06:42 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
There was a great article in the WSJ sports section yesterday about Rivera and his matchups with Martinez. Edgar owned him early on till Mariano developed a sinker that broke in to righties. After that Edgar hit .200 against him in limited plate appearances. BTW, every pitcher has someone who owned him: Pujols hit .452 against Randy Johnson, Marquis Grissom hit .565 against Pedro, Shawn Green hit .543 against Smoltz. Ty Cobb hit .366 against Walter Johnson which was essentially his career average against all pitchers. Does that mean that Johnson was no better than an average pitcher? Well, against Cobb that was true, but obviously not true for most other batters.
And Mike Piazza owned Roger Clemens who eventually showed his appreciation for that...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewYorker_Mar291976_1.jpg (68.9 KB, 131 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:25 AM

Peter- I’ve always loved that New Yorker cover, especially being a New Yorker born and bred.

BTW, I currently just fall under the 40 mile radius (38)...
Old 01-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Peter- I’ve always loved that New Yorker cover, especially being a New Yorker born and bred.

BTW, I currently just fall under the 40 mile radius (38)...
I knew it.

If I’m right about 38 out of 40, will I be on the Hall of Fame ballot.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

......or will I need 39

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 01-26-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:00 AM
Al

Opinion:

The save is a stupid stat. But so is the win. Both depend on your team creating a circumstance that has nothing to do with you.

I also think comparing Rivera to a starting pitcher and saying the starting pitcher is better because he has to pitch longer is irrelevant.

Point being: starting pitchers aren't asked to appear in 60 or 70 games in a season like closers are. Starting pitchers aren't asked to repeatedly pitch with the game on the line, in "close and late" situations. Starting pitchers aren't asked to appear in NINETY-SIX postseason games over the course of their career. But you won't catch me using any of those facts to denigrate a starting pitcher.

What's great is that we have statistics that can measure all pitchers and level the playing field. Stuff like ERA, WHIP, SO/W, etc. And in all those fields, Mariano Rivera has numbers that stack up with the greats of the game. A postseason ERA of 0.70 in 141 innings, with a WHIP of 0.759, against the top competition is a world-class achievement. It's greatness under extreme pressure, over 16 years. No other player has even come close.

Saying "If you had to win one game, who would you pitch: Sandy Koufax, or Mariano Rivera" is no different that saying "If you had to win one game, who would you pitch: Sandy Koufax, or Ted Williams?" Mariano Rivera was not a starting pitcher. He also was not a shortstop, a left fielder, or a manager. So why compare him to something he wasn't?

If you changed the question to "If you had to choose a single pitcher to get all the important outs for his team, for an entire season, who would it be?" change your answer? Because I don't see Sandy Koufax excelling in that situation. Nobody dominated like Koufax, but no way he could pitch at that level two or three days in a row, no way he could pitch on one day's rest. His arm would fall off by June.

If I had to win one game, I might have a handful of pitchers I'd chose. If I had to get a big stolen base in a tough situation, I might bring in Jackie Robinson, Rickey Henderson, Vince Coleman. If I needed a three-run home run, I might bring up Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays. If I needed a single to drive in the game-winning run, maybe I'd pick Rose, Cobb, Boggs, Gwynn, Keeler, or some other contact hitter.

But if I needed to close out a game, there's only one guy I'd pick. One guy. And I'd pick him every time, under every circumstance, and I think most would agree. And that makes him the greatest ever.

When we're answering the question "who was the greatest hitter ever?" we don't factor Ty Cobb out of the equation because he didn't hit home runs. We don't factor Ted Williams out of the equation because his defense was suspect. We're just asking who was the greatest HITTER.

Similarly, we're asking here, "who was the greatest pitcher?" And if Mo's career numbers: 2.21 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, plus the aforementioned postseason numbers - don't clearly position him among the greatest pitchers of all-time, I'm not sure what does.

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 01-26-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Off the top of my head, I'd take:

Walter Johnson
Lefty Grove
Pedro Martinez
Sandy Koufax
Greg Maddux
Randy Johnson
Clayton Kershaw
Cy Young
Tom Seaver
Roger Clemens

In a heartbeat over Rivera. Then there are guys I'd probably take. Pete Alexander, Bob Gibson, probably Christy Mathewson. I'd need to think for a bit more, as it's 3 am, but Rivera doesn't crack my top ten. Again, only one pitch. Great at a very specialized job, but give me a dominant starter over a closer every day of the week. If that starter is on his game, I don't need a closer.
No one has mentioned Feller 3 no hitters 13 one hitters and out of baseball for three years for the navy
Old 01-26-2019, 11:30 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
I live less than 40 miles from the Bronx, but voted that way just to tick people off
Old 01-26-2019, 11:32 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
The save is a stupid stat. But so is the win. Both depend on your team creating a circumstance that has nothing to do with you.
This.

Does he belong in the Hall? Probably. But what I'm still scratching my head at is that he's the first unanimous guy ever, in the history of the game. How the f*** did that happen?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
No one has mentioned Feller 3 no hitters 13 one hitters and out of baseball for three years for the navy
Absolutely -- and don't sleep on Warren Spahn, who is one of the most underappreciated pitchers in MLB history.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Post 94.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Opinion:

I also think comparing Rivera to a starting pitcher and saying the starting pitcher is better because he has to pitch longer is irrelevant.

Point being: starting pitchers aren't asked to appear in 60 or 70 games in a season like closers are. Starting pitchers aren't asked to repeatedly pitch with the game on the line, in "close and late" situations. Starting pitchers aren't asked to appear in NINETY-SIX postseason games over the course of their career. But you won't catch me using any of those facts to denigrate a starting pitcher.

What's great is that we have statistics that can measure all pitchers and level the playing field. Stuff like ERA, WHIP, SO/W, etc. And in all those fields, Mariano Rivera has numbers that stack up with the greats of the game. A postseason ERA of 0.70 in 141 innings, with a WHIP of 0.759, against the top competition is a world-class achievement. It's greatness under extreme pressure, over 16 years. No other player has even come close.

Saying "If you had to win one game, who would you pitch: Sandy Koufax, or Mariano Rivera" is no different that saying "If you had to win one game, who would you pitch: Sandy Koufax, or Ted Williams?" Mariano Rivera was not a starting pitcher. He also was not a shortstop, a left fielder, or a manager. So why compare him to something he wasn't?

If you changed the question to "If you had to choose a single pitcher to get all the important outs for his team, for an entire season, who would it be?" change your answer? Because I don't see Sandy Koufax excelling in that situation. Nobody dominated like Koufax, but no way he could pitch at that level two or three days in a row, no way he could pitch on one day's rest. His arm would fall off by June.

If I had to win one game, I might have a handful of pitchers I'd chose. If I had to get a big stolen base in a tough situation, I might bring in Jackie Robinson, Rickey Henderson, Vince Coleman. If I needed a three-run home run, I might bring up Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays. If I needed a single to drive in the game-winning run, maybe I'd pick Rose, Cobb, Boggs, Gwynn, Keeler, or some other contact hitter.

But if I needed to close out a game, there's only one guy I'd pick. One guy. And I'd pick him every time, under every circumstance, and I think most would agree. And that makes him the greatest ever.

When we're answering the question "who was the greatest hitter ever?" we don't factor Ty Cobb out of the equation because he didn't hit home runs. We don't factor Ted Williams out of the equation because his defense was suspect. We're just asking who was the greatest HITTER.

Similarly, we're asking here, "who was the greatest pitcher?" And if Mo's career numbers: 2.21 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, plus the aforementioned postseason numbers - don't clearly position him among the greatest pitchers of all-time, I'm not sure what does.

-Al
If picking the greatest hitter ever, would you include someone who exclusively pinch hit but had a .400 lifetime average in 25 percent as many at bats as an everyday player? That's the better analogy, and I am guessing the answer is no.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
If picking the greatest hitter ever, would you include someone who exclusively pinch hit but had a .400 lifetime average in 25 percent as many at bats as an everyday player? That's the better analogy, and I am guessing the answer is no.
I just can’t understand why Manny Mota is not in the HOF, Seriously.....

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 01-26-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Al

Quote:
You're right, the answer is no. But I don't like the analogy.

Mariano Rivera was not a pinch hitter. He wasn't a defensive replacement. He wasn't a pinch runner. He was not asked to come into the game and get one out, every once in a while, or keep the infield tight. He pitched in pressure situations, several days a week, for nearly 20 years.

BTW, I'm about 70 miles from the Bronx.

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 01-26-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:53 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
+1
Old 01-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Mariano Rivera was not a pinch hitter. He wasn't a defensive replacement. He wasn't a pinch runner. He was not asked to come into the game and get one out, every once in a while, or keep the infield tight. He pitched in pressure situations, several days a week, for nearly 20 years.

-Al
To me the analogy is reasonable based on number of innings pitched vs. a top line starter, coupled with my belief that all innings are equally important even if some seem to be more dramatic than others. In any case this has generated some great discussion that is only possible in the context of baseball; no other sport comes close.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

-Al
I don't agree that 9th inning, bases empty, with a lead is a pressure situation.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-26-2019, 02:51 PM
Al

Quote:
I don't agree that 9th inning, bases empty, with a lead is a pressure situation.
Up 3-0 in the 9th against the 2000 Devil Rays, I agree.

Up 1-0 in the 9th against the 2000 Red Sox, I disagree.

Similarly, Koufax starting and winning against the 1963 Mets is no big deal. Starting and winning two against Whitey Ford in the World Series is.

I also dispute the idea that all innings are equal. I understand the concept, but I disagree with it. Giving up three runs in the first inning, you've still got eight innings to get those back. Giving up three in the ninth is a different story. Watching the Red Sox with Byung Hyun Kim in 2003 vs. Keith Foulke in 2004 was all the convincing I needed about the importance of a closer.

-Al
Old 01-26-2019, 03:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Up 3-0 in the 9th against the 2000 Devil Rays, I agree.

Up 1-0 in the 9th against the 2000 Red Sox, I disagree.

Similarly, Koufax starting and winning against the 1963 Mets is no big deal. Starting and winning two against Whitey Ford in the World Series is.

I also dispute the idea that all innings are equal. I understand the concept, but I disagree with it. Giving up three runs in the first inning, you've still got eight innings to get those back. Giving up three in the ninth is a different story. Watching the Red Sox with Byung Hyun Kim in 2003 vs. Keith Foulke in 2004 was all the convincing I needed about the importance of a closer.

-Al
And the other team has eight innings to score more. I'd be interested to see the odds of winning a game down 3-0 after 1.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:47 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Closers are like goal line backs in the NFL. Their value is greatly exaggerated, Rivera included.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 01-26-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:23 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Absolutely one of the ten greatest pitchers ever.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:59 PM

Default Mariano

Quote:
Opinion:

-Al
Al - hi it’s JoeT and I hope all is well. I am going to try and simplify this for everyone the best I can. More than not, without a fine performance from a starting pitcher, there is typically no game to save. Rivera’s capabilities would be rendered useless because there is no lead to protect. That’s the MAJOR disparity between a starter and a closer. A closer is typically dependent on his team’s prior pitchers making a game of it. A good starting pitcher sets the tempo for the game, with superb performances typically dictating the results. A closer has ZERO control over that. And, like I’ve said in other posts, the pre-1980 great pitchers didn’t need a closer for the most part because they finished their games. Honestly Al, I can barely remember games that pitchers like Gibson, Koufax, Seaver, Carlton, Palmer, Marichal, Hunter, etc. blew leads in the 9th inning. They went out for the 9th innings and closed out their own games. Based on that notion, how anyone can possibly compare a 1-inning pitcher to these incredible starters that went the distance is beyond reason. Makes zero sense. Closers are totally dependent on their teams putting them in a position to save a game, and the starting pitcher usually bears a large portion of that burden.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 01-26-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Absolutely one of the ten greatest pitchers ever.
Change "pitchers" to "closers" and we agree. I get that it's just a matter of opinion, but I don't see how any knowledgeable baseball fan can have this opinion.

A guy who pitched 2-3 innings a week and only with a lead is just NOT a top ten of all time pitcher.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-26-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:32 AM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
And for the record, and as a Red Sox fan, Rivera was the greatest reliever of all-time, no doubt and a slam-dunk Hall of Fame player. His body of work speaks for itself and I don't want to take anything away from his brilliant career.
Perhaps an interesting follow-up question, though, would be if Rivera's cutter was one of the top-10 pitches of all time...
That is a fair assessment.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:02 AM
Tony Conte

Great pitcher but like many have said not one of the best all time.
Great entrance music though so maybe that came into play with
the voters.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:31 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
I thought of Feller. Just forgot to add him. It was 3 am.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:05 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Now that I've had more time to reflect on it, if I had to be more specific, I'd rank Rivera in the 15th-20th range, along with Blyleven, Niekro, and Mussina, excellent pitchers with excellent careers and definitely worthy of the Hall in my book, but clearly a step down from Seaver, Grove, et al. in the top 10.

There's no reason in principle that a closer couldn't be considered the greatest pitcher of all time, but he'd just have to put up even better numbers than Mariano did. If a hypothetical closer converted 95% of 800 save opportunities over 20 years with an ERA+ of 250 and a 0.8 WHIP, I'd declare him a greater pitcher than Walter Johnson. It's possible we'll see that someday, but that's significantly better than Mariano, and I think I'm more likely to see someone put together a 57 game hitting streak this year than I am to see a closer that good in the next 40 years or however long I may live.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:21 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleSpokes View Post
Closers are like goal line backs in the NFL. Their value is greatly exaggerated, Rivera included.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Exactly. A run is a run, whether it is scored in the third inning, the fifth inning, or the ninth inning. There is nothing that makes the ninth inning more difficult or challenging to pitch than any other inning. So pitching a scoreless ninth to close out a 3-2 win is no different than pitching a clean third inning in a 3-2 win.

A guy who can pitch well here and there, get a few batters out, is no doubt valuable, but you would need 5 or 6 such pitchers just to win one game. A guy like Koufax or Gibson could come out and give you that every 4 days all by himself.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Exactly. A run is a run, whether it is scored in the third inning, the fifth inning, or the ninth inning. There is nothing that makes the ninth inning more difficult or challenging to pitch than any other inning. So pitching a scoreless ninth to close out a 3-2 win is no different than pitching a clean third inning in a 3-2 win.

A guy who can pitch well here and there, get a few batters out, is no doubt valuable, but you would need 5 or 6 such pitchers just to win one game. A guy like Koufax or Gibson could come out and give you that every 4 days all by himself.
When has anyone ever won the game in the third inning? When has anyone ever won a football game after only getting to the goal line? Neither analogy makes sense.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:33 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
When has anyone ever won the game in the third inning? When has anyone ever won a football game after only getting to the goal line? Neither analogy makes sense.

A game ends 1-0. What difference does it make if the losing pitcher gave up that run in the third or ninth inning?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
A game ends 1-0. What difference does it make if the losing pitcher gave up that run in the third or ninth inning?
I guess the difference is you only win the game after the 9th inning.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I guess the difference is you only win the game after the 9th inning.
Right. And that is arbitrary. It doesn't mean it is easier or more difficult to get 'em out in the ninth as opposed to any other inning. And runs yielded in the ninth, or fourth, or seventh innings hurt you just as much; not more, not less.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

The terms “closer” and “save” are both narrowly defined constructs of analytical baseball and create some arbitrary management decisions based on their definitions.

The “closer” has evolved to be the ninth inning pitcher who only enters the game with a lead of 1-3 runs.

The “save” has a slightly broader definition, allowing for up to three innings pitched at the end of the game.

What about the guy who enters the game in the ninth with the score tied or with his team behind by a run or two. The valuable “closer” is infrequently seen in this situation except perhaps in the post season. But is the alternate who preserves the status quo in games that his team eventually wins any less valuable.

Take the way back machine back to 1959 in Pittsburgh. Roy Face pitched in 57 games finishing 47. There were no saves in 1959, but retrospectively he was awarded 10 saves by applying arbitrary rules that were introduced later after 1959.

If the Bucs were close in the late innings, Roy was the “finisher”. He wasn’t used by Murtaugh only when the Bucs had the lead. Actually they didn’t have the lead that often and when they did, they had a few starters who could actually pitch a complete game.

So how did Roy fair in this undefined relief role. Pretty well as he recorded 18 wins out of the bullpen. He lost 1 game.

Granted he didn’t have a 20 year career with comparable results. You could also say 1959 was a fluke. But has any modern closer come close to helping his team win 18 games that they otherwise would have lost. Obviously not because the definitions create the pattern in which they are used.

It has been shown previously in this thread, that the difference between the best closer and a very good closer is perhaps 2 to 3 games per year for his team.

In Roy’s case it was 18 games, if only for one year.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Right. And that is arbitrary. It doesn't mean it is easier or more difficult to get 'em out in the ninth as opposed to any other inning. And runs yielded in the ninth, or fourth, or seventh innings hurt you just as much; not more, not less.
The only difference is that the ninth feels more dramatic. Just like every frame in bowling counts equally, but the last one may be more exciting. The analogy to getting the ball only to the goal line is wholly misplaced.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-31-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:46 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
The only difference is that the ninth feels more dramatic. Just like every frame in bowling counts equally, but the last one may be more exciting. The analogy to getting the ball only to the goal line is wholly misplaced.
Well said. The ninth inning "feels" more important. But that is all.

Also agree the football analogy is not valid. Players are more compressed when the offense has the ball near the goal line, so it is much more difficult to get that last yard then it is to get one yard at, say, the 47 yard line (holding the offense to a one yard gain at midfield would in fact be a victory for the defense.)