NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Scott S

Default Ruth signed lots of reprint cards in sharpie, right??

I assume he did. So why would one more be such a big deal? I would think $33 is a very fair price for this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/George-Babe-Ruth...item27b858e191
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I assume he did. So why would one more be such a big deal? I would think $33 is a very fair price for this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/George-Babe-Ruth...item27b858e191
SWEET!!
I actually prefer steel-tipped fountain pen, but blue Sharpie will fill the gap in my collection until I can find a reprint card signed in that manner....
Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Gee, imagine that, the seller is from Ohio. Not only that but they have OTHER reprints listed (including the Joe Jackson Smitty's Ice Cream fantasy card) and have sold reprints before.

Also, they look to be key word spamming in their titles. They have cards graded by PSC (whoever they are) yet also have PSA listed in the title.

David
Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Gee, imagine that, the seller is from Ohio. Not only that but they have OTHER reprints listed (including the Joe Jackson Smitty's Ice Cream fantasy card) and have sold reprints before.

Also, they look to be key word spamming in their titles. They have cards graded by PSC (whoever they are) yet also have PSA listed in the title.

David
I've seen this mentioned before...But again, what's with the Ohio thing?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 AM
qualitycards

You've got to be kidding me?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
You've got to be kidding me?

I'm pretty sure that's not even sharpie. It looks like the generic markers that you'd get for your kids in grade school.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:28 PM

novakjr,

A LOT of scam artists on eBay are from Ohio. I am pretty sure the two black guys, who have been discussed on these boards before and who swear they own a real T206 Wagner, are from Cincinnati.

Look up lour24i3d on eBay and check out what they sell and their Feed Back and what you will find are a number of fake posters and signs.

Look at the fake, reprint, fantasy cards on eBay and a lot of those are by sellers from Ohio who say they found them in their Grand Pa's attic or bought them at an estate sale (when, in fact, they were made on their home computer and printer or bought at a flea market).

In short, Ohio is a hot bed of fakery and scam artists.

David
Old 02-06-2011, 12:41 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Thanks ctown. I knew there were a bunch of shady people in Ohio, I just didn't think that the percentage was any higher than anywhere else. I do know offhand of one guy from around the Lake County area that's been selling fakes for a while now. He's a friend of a friend's, friend.(he may be from Akron though, I can't quite remember) "*Notice the use of friends to the Nth degree, because they don't like him either.** But they've seen him forging stuff first-hand and gave me a head up to avoid him.

I can't off hand remember his ebay name, but if you see something from a seller around here, that has a crapload of wrestling auto's as well, I can just about guarantee they're fake. These same friends also say that his wrestling stuff, oddly enough is real.

Anyways, I won't even trust any of the local shops, not because they're untrustworthy, but because this dude's stuff is everywhere.

Last edited by novakjr; 02-06-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM

If you watch the following eBay sellers and what they list you will find a number of items that are VERY suspicious:

From Ohio

myjunk66
lour24i3d

From Indiana

acofind, fourducks, theolestuff (same seller different eBay anmes)
style_quest

These guys seem to have a LOT of "vintage" advertising posters, signs and baseball items that, if real, would sell for MUCH more than what they get on eBay.

One of them just had a Climax Plug tobbaco sign or poster which had pictures of baseball players from the 1880's on it which only sold for a couple of hundred dollars. If real, it would have been a multi-thousand dollar piece which should have been in REA or some other large auction.

Of course, those who know better didn't bid on it but those who didn't did bid and somebody got scammed out of a couple of hundred dollars.

The thing about these sellers is that they mix this fake, reprint stuff in with real items and thus make them look legit. Also, if you watch these sellers, they seem to have similiar fake stuff and in multiples. Also, they seem to be well known names or items; Harley Davidson and Indian motorcycles, Remington and Winchester guns and ammo, Babe Ruth Kaywoodie signs, Lou Gehrig Ken Well signs, Mickey Mantle Jello cards, large Topps cards, restaurant items, Ted Williams beverage signs, posters and bottles, Yogi Berra Yoo Hoo signs and posters, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays Jello cards, Pee Wee Reese and Jackie Robinson Bond Bread signs and posters, Shirley Temple cobalt blue glass items, Daisy butter churns (some of which were never made in the sizes which are being sold), cast iron toys and banks, etc.

Of course, these items are not mint but they aren't in crappy shape either, like you would expect them to be if they are large, made of paper and at least 50 years old.

What gets me is that the buyers are getting ripped off and either don't know it or don't care. I have e mailed some of the buyers to let them know the stuff they bought is most likely fake and some have written me back thanking me. I have even seen a few leave bad Feed back for the seller.

One guy, however, has wasted thousands of dollars with these people. I have written him to let him know about these fakes yet he continues to bid and buy this stuff. This, to me, either means; 1) he has more money than he knows what to do with, 2) he is buying the fake stuff to resell on his own or 3) he is buying the stuff to enjoy and is going to let his heirs find out after his death that he wasted his money on this crap instead of investing it wisely or setting it aside for them.

David
Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM

novakjr,

I also wanted to say a couple of mroe things. Notice how these sellers have a LOT of their auctions as PRIVATE? Gee, I wonder why?

Back in December, acofind listed a number of things as PRIVATE but also had some things which were open auctions. The PRIVATE auctions were for the signs and posters and things which could easily be faked or reproduced while the open auctions were for Dickens Village or Dept56 Christmas houses, buildings or other such items (things which can not be easily faked).

Second, if you don't know about the site www.toolhaus.org, I would suggest you add that to your favorites. It allows you to see if a buyer or seller has had any Neutral or Negative Feed back for eBay and the reason/s why. Look up the sellers I listed in my other post and see how many Neutral and Negative Feed backs they have received from different buyers for fake and reproduction items sold as real or authentic.

I REALLY wish the FBI would get invloved with these people.

David
Old 02-06-2011, 03:45 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I think I remember checking out something that acofind was selling a while back, but decided against it because of the private listings. Seeing a private listing is usually a pretty good sign that there's fake items involved.

It would be nice if ebay would start to always leave at least the listing heading on all feedback for both parties whether a private listing or not. I wish they would do away with the private listings and keeping bidders private thing as well. I honestly don't know who ebay thinks their protecting by doing this.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Scott S

This piece of garbage is currently at $92.02, with what looks like some shilling, but some legit bidder as the high bidder right now.

I certainly might not be the smartest person in the world, but who is throwing away $92 on this?!?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Scott

Honestly, can someone be SO GULLIBLE to not know that Ruth could NOT sign a reprint card, and COULD NOT sign in Sharpie? Plus, the forgery is bad on top of it. I tell ya, sometimes people get what they deserve!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Richard Simon

You are so right Scott.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 AM

Nifty timing for this thread. We spent the past week laughing our butts off at this one:
http://snipurl.com/1zu01e
Check the vendor and the bidding.
We hit the "Ask seller a question" button about four days before the auction ended ("Hi - are you sincerely under the mistaken impression this laughable fake is authentic, or did you glue the photocopy to the JC Penney shirt-box yourself?"), but somehow never got a response...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 02-08-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I saw that one too Butch. Looked like a photocopy of one of those tin repro signs glued to a shirt box.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 AM

It was actually pretty convincing, except that the vendor has a, shall we say, "reputation," the portraits were the wrong color, the size was off by a couple of inches, that style of box wasn't in use in 1912, and, oh yeah, the game didn't come in a cardboard box.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Jim D

Geez, i thought the only bad fakes in Ohio were the Bengals and the Cavs!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!