NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-13-2020, 02:35 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
I prefer raw cards as well, but on the 53 Bowmans with the exception of the Reese and Campanella, I purchased the more expensive cards in slabs due to counterfeiting or doctoring cards. I posted a few of them on this page if you scroll up a bit. Eventually, I would like to trade my slabbed cards for their raw equivalents, but the non-slabbed cards would have to be in equal condition. If I had the money or could trade I wouldn't mind going for something that was raw that would be better than what I have slabbed.
Yeah, I can understand the concern about counterfeiting and doctoring. It's sad that things have gotten to that. You can always take your slabbed cards out of the slabs too!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:43 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
Yeah, I can understand the concern about counterfeiting and doctoring. It's sad that things have gotten to that. You can always take your slabbed cards out of the slabs too!
I've seen where people break them out of their holders. These days it seems that many collectors trust graded over non-graded cards and that's why I thought about trading my slabs for their raw equivalent, it might be a win/win of sorts. I guess the only complications would be that I would want to see the card I'm trading for in person and I wouldn't want to swap with a dealer who would want to trade to their advantage.

I saw your posting about taking some of your doubles to trade to a young collector who coldly turned them away. When I was 12 back in 1973 I put an ad in a local paper looking to trade cards. An adult by the name of Tom Tankersley responded and he brought over some 1957s. He allowed me to get the better end of the deal, for him it was important to get younger people involved in the hobby. That day some of the cards I remember getting were the Amoros, Kluszweski, Erskine, Robin Roberts, and Burdette. The Burdette had a crease and the others were probably in VG/EX condition, but it didn't matter- I got some really cool older cards. When it becomes a commodity the fun and wonderment disappear.

Last edited by Tere1071; 08-13-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:54 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
I've seen where people break them out of their holders. These days it seems that many collectors trust graded over non-graded cards and that's why I thought about trading my slabs for their raw equivalent, it might be a win/win of sorts. I guess the only complications would be that I would want to see the card I'm trading for in person and I wouldn't want to swap with a dealer who would want to trade to their advantage.

I saw your posting about taking some of your doubles to trade to a young collector who coldly turned them away. When I was 12 back in 1973 I put an ad in a local paper looking to trade cards. An adult by the name of Tom Tankersley responded and he brought over some 1957s. He allowed me to get the better end of the deal, for him it was important to get younger people involved in the hobby. That day some of the cards I remember getting were the Amoros, Kluszweski, Erskine, Robin Roberts, and Burdette. The Burdette had a crease and the others were probably in VG/EX condition, but it didn't matter- I got some really cool older cards. When it becomes a commodity the fun and wonderment disappear.
That's a great story. And we remember their names. I have a similar story. I had put an ad in the local Pennysaver, and a Mr Siebert called, and one, weeknight, this would be the early 70's, on a school night after dinner, we drove over to Snowball Dr. and met with him. I would have been probably 14 or so.

Mr. Siebert had a very large collection of 1930's and 1940's cards, and he told us he had another buyer who was very interested in them, but he told me he would set some aside for me. I had a good knowledge of the history of the game and the older players, and I remember him saying, "I have an idea what you like."

So a week or so went by and he called again and told us to come over. And I remember him saying he made quite a bit of money on the cards he sold, but he set aside for me some 1939 and 1940 Play Ball cards of DiMaggio, Hubbell, Williams, Mel Ott, Lefty Gomez, George Selkirk and several more. There was also a 1934 Goudey Jimmy Foxx. He let me have them for, as I remember it, $20. I still have those cards, and I will never forget that man.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:01 PM
J0hn Collin$

So - given that we are in a "bubble" - has anyone here cashed in even on some mid- to lower grade cards? I will admit I'm stunned at what some offgrade stuff is going for - particularly with Jackie Robinson and Mickey Mantle cards. I haven't sold a ton this year, but when I did I more than made my money back. Other experiences? Keep on collecting what you love!

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-24-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:02 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
I still have those cards, and I will never forget that man.
Great story! I literally have dreams of coming across such finds.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:47 PM

Anyone have a mid grade (Ex or better) 1973 Topps #614 for sale or trade?