NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-03-2023, 06:04 PM
Kevin

Default PSA Is The Worst

How is it possible that BGS can grade a card a 7.5, yet PSA looks at it and deems it as not meeting the minimum size requirements for that set?

I submitted a BGS 7.5 1993 SP Derek Jeter for crossover, and PSA returned it saying the card didn’t meet their minimum size specifications. After 136 callers ahead of me in their queue, I finally get an agent who tells me that “PSA is the diamond standard in the industry, and therefore she’s confident their specifications are accurate and the other company must be wrong”. I asked if she could have this escalated to a manager or supervisor for a second review, and she tells me its not possible, but they won’t charge me and I can resubmit it for another review. If it gets the same opinion, I wouldn’t be charged again.

So essentially, I can re-submit this card repeatedly until the end of my life and never pay for the grading (just S&H) instead of them realizing they made a mistake and correcting it the first time.

Moral of the story - don’t ever sub to PSA.

Last edited by PorterMan20; 02-03-2023 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:24 PM
Steven Finley

The card is a conundrum. 93 SP as a set is notorious for being cut undersized, intensely condition sensitive, and features one of the 5 most important modern baseball RC’s. The difference between an 8 and a 10 on that card is massive and PSA has made it pretty clear over the past decade that they will N6 any Jeter SP that is even slightly small. I’ve seen dozens of pack pulled Jeter’s get the N6 designation and probably heard people state the same fact 100 times. You can keep subbing until you get that one grader that doesn’t catch it, but 98 times out of 100 I’d bet the card you have gets the N6. That doesn’t make it trimmed or altered, that just makes it small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterMan20 View Post
How is it possible that BGS can grade a card a 7.5, yet PSA looks at it and deems it as not meeting the minimum size requirements for that set?

I submitted a BGS 7.5 1993 SP Derek Jeter for crossover, and PSA returned it saying the card didn’t meet their minimum size specifications. After 136 callers ahead of me in their queue, I finally get an agent who tells me that “PSA is the diamond standard in the industry, and therefore she’s confident their specifications are accurate and the other company must be wrong”. I asked if she could have this escalated to a manager or supervisor for a second review, and she tells me its not possible, but they won’t charge me and I can resubmit it for another review. If it gets the same opinion, I wouldn’t be charged again.

So essentially, I can re-submit this card repeatedly until the end of my life and never pay for the grading (just S&H) instead of them realizing they made a mistake and correcting it the first time.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:49 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

"Minimum size" is a Joke.

If a card is unaltered and clearly factory miscut slightly, that should absolutely not be an issue. Whether too big or too small.

I assume its laziness from grading companies to make the micro adjustments in the slabs sizing. They probably just don't want to go through the headache of making new size slabs in general. When in reality there should be thousands of slabs sitting around for every measurement slightly big or slightly small.

Sad.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 02-03-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:03 PM
Larry More.y

It has long been discussed that Beckett graded many copies of this card that were MIN SIZE and for years BGS copies have not crossed to PSA for this reason. There have been numerous threads on crossing this card from BGS to PSA to reap the value benefits from PSA because they have been much tougher grading this card.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:54 PM
Jeremy

PSA is far from the "diamond standard" as the customer service agent stated. I would suggest staying far away from them unless you want your card either damaged, mislabeled, or a number of other nightmare scenarios. A 93 SP Jeter would look great in an SGC tuxedo.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:38 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterMan20 View Post

LOL. The Diamond standard in the hobby.
Give this vid a watch. It will likely help you understand why your card gets scrutinized like it does.
Nope, no bias or favoritism with PSA. They treat all cards equally and don't favor certain submitters either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wirna8ihUuA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTMS1dmddc

Last edited by irv; 02-05-2023 at 06:40 AM.