NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Default THANKS, BUT I STILL CAN'T FIND #109 CARD CLARKE DO YOU THINK BECKETT HAS THE WRONG # CARD?

Posted By: raymond g.

I am not familiar with 1911 S74 Silks. I cannot find it in the 2008 SCD catalog? I want to find its value, so I can get a fair price upon disposal! Thanks to anyone that can help identify and locate it in 08 SCD. Can this possibly have the wrong I.D. on the Beckett slap?
[linked image] [linked image]

Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Default THANKS, BUT I STILL CAN'T FIND #109 CARD CLARKE DO YOU THINK BECKETT HAS THE WRONG # CARD?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

1869-1980 section... the front.

Then alphabetically.

Find the S's.... then go until the T's start. Then back up about 3 sets. That should be S-74s.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I've never understood why the SCD book has the T- S- E- etc listings at the END of those letters alphabetically -- very counterintuitive. Anyways, look at the end of the S's and you will find the silks.

If the grade is due to the crease through the center, that is how they were issued so it shouldn't hurt the grade as much as any other set w/ a crease through the card.
-Rhett

Old 03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure why you are having a hard time. The card is a 1911 S74 White Silk Fred Clarke that still retains the backing. The #109 Beckett threw on the slab is meaningless. In the 2009 SCD the card lists in top shape for $300. You should expect between $140-275 for the item if the only thing really wrong with it is the crease that almost always is found on these cards.

Do yourself a favor and buy the SCD, the Beckett Almanac is a decent companion to the SCD but the SCD is unparalleled in its scope on prewar. If I was a modern card collector the exact opposite is true (ie Beckett is the place to go).
-Rhett

Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Rhett, one of my more favorite words, counterintuitive... not even the great Net54 spellchecker is ready for it!!! And I agree, that just the letter should appear before that letter and any other combination of letters thereafter. At least that's how to do it alphabetically.

Raymond, Rhett is telling you right. You need to get the SCD catalog. And, get Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia. DO NOT depend on the crap that the grading companies put on their labels. Instead, learn to identify the cards yourself. It's good to see an S74 with the backing. That's the way to try to collect them, that's how the old timer's did it.

FW

Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Ray, I just checked in the Beckett Almanac and they have Fred Clarke listed as #109 in the set because they have the set broken down by teams and then alphabetically within the team. That is how a guy with the last name that starts with a "C" ends up at the end of the checklist.

-Rhett

Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Is it my bad memory or am I recalling that the old price guides used to indicate that you would probably have to pay a "small" premium if you were to purchase a silk with a backing. I think the same was true for cards that had the coupons removed. I always laughed at this because even 30+ years ago you knew how difficult it was to find the item with the "little extra" still attached to it.

You can also look at the chronological listing in the SCD guide to tell you which page to find the checklist.