NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette44 View Post
Few other shots
Wow amazing books!
Old 10-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Very big into comics - gold and silver ages mostly.

Justice League, Superman, and showcase are my three favorite runs (have top or Near top registry sets for all three)
Brave and the Bold 28 is a top 3 favorite comic for me. Great stuff.

Last edited by OsFan; 10-15-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Ted that is AWESOME!!! It also brings back a ton of teenage memories. I have played that version and a few others, haven't seen one in close to 30 years.

Thanks, Ben

And, your right.... there's very few of these Super-Slugger Pin-Ball machines still in operation nowadays. I still remember a certain Pin-Ball arcade on the Asbury Park (NJ) boardwalk,
that had the Super-Slugger machine which was quite a treat. Since most of the BB Pin-Ball games along the Jersey Shore were the smaller (simpler) Williams machines.

TED Z
T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 10-18-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Adam B

Quote:
Few other shots
That Batman #1 is a beaut, Sir. Looks nicer than 4.5 IMO.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:54 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I collected coins, stamps and bb cards as a kid. I gave away all my cards in the early 60's to a friend and just six months ago gave my stamps and coins to my son.
This past spring I took up wood turning on a lathe and enjoy making lidded boxes and hope to advance to wine bottle stoppers and bowls.
I enjoy golf but don't have much time for it as most of my time is spent practicing, playing and traveling for senior softball. I was inducted into the National Senior Softball Hall of Fame in 2011 and in 2014 to The Legends of Softball Hall of Fame.
This is only part of my softball awards:
Old 10-17-2017, 07:12 AM
Marc Powers

Default Other Collecting

I collect other than cards, Fred Kails, used to build models but can`t do that anymore with my hands and eyes, I still have toys when I was a kid that my Mom saved, I still have my coin collection and old Marx train set. I also collect Vintage Christmas Ornaments. Hope you enjoy the pics! Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic-1.JPG (38.7 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg pic-2.JPG (37.7 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg pic-3.JPG (36.4 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by pow323; 10-17-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Dan Bretta

About 10 years ago my love for baseball postcards crept over to collecting postcards of my hometown Lincoln, Nebraska. I have about 6,000 different Lincoln cards, and amazingly I still find one or two per week that I don't already have. I keep them in binders in 4 card sheets. Lately a seller on ebay has started listing a collection of Lincoln cards that are just amazing, many of which I'd never seen before. These days I tend to get more excited about these types of finds than I do finds for my baseball collection.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I am also into cars, although this hasn't moved in 15 years due to a cooked motor.
What year is that Monte? I had a 1975 and would love to have one again. But, after having 3 Mustangs and an old tractor, I realized I wasn't much of a mechanic!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

Besides cards and other sports collectibles, I've been into most mainstream hobbies at least a bit.
Stamps, coins, currency, comics, old bottles and insulators, beer cans, a few toys...
I also do a bit of woodworking and metal working, and I'm learning leather working (rented a workshop with a leatherworker friend so I may as well )

One of the less mainstream hobbies is old racing bikes - plus others that I happen to like.
This one is a bike built for motorpacing probably in the 1920s or 30's. Probably a Bastide, but it could be a US builder. It was raced in the NYC area, and crashed heavily at some point.

This one's a bit more modern, it was built for the US team time trial team for the 1984 Olympics. I haven't researched enough yet to know if it was ridden in the games. 12 were made, and supposedly 11 of them were identical while the fourth was for a particular rider.(Only four team members, so a 1/3 chance) It was pretty much just a frame when I got it, and since most of the parts were special or specially modified I had to make them.

I'm still into stamps, but have mostly focused on the Official stamps used from 1873 till the early 1880's
This one is my big find so far, printed from a special plate (#40) on an experimental steam press. There was a small amount of clear information about the use of the plate published in 1902, and a description of how to identify the six different plates was published in 1932, and then the stamps from the two steam press plates just about vanished. To the point that some experts thought the 1902 info might have been a mistake (Luff - the author did make some mistakes) Until I found this one with a portion of the plate number showing. No others have turned up since then, but a few without the plate number are probably identifiable because of this stamp.

Steve B
Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't have any other hobbies. ...This one takes all my time, however I do like to play competitive softball but not to the BruceinGA level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freak.jpg (11.4 KB, 223 views)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I tried to get into book collecting about a year ago. I read a lot and thought it might be fun to get some signed first editions of some of my favorites. I got up to about 10 or 12 and kind of died out. I've seen all the posts on here about scammers in the card market. Books seem just as bad or worse. There's no authentication services and just about anyone can fake a signature.
Plus books just sit on your shelf once they're bought, cards seem much more interactive and fun.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:11 PM
Sean Sullivan

I tend to spend a lot of time alone when I am not working, so to relax, I really enjoy sewing.

I also really love breeding exotic moths, and putting the lotion in the basket.

Oh, I have to go, Precious is barking, and there is someone at the door.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow323 View Post
I collect other than cards, Fred Kails, used to build models but can`t do that anymore with my hands and eyes, I still have toys when I was a kid that my Mom saved, I still have my coin collection and old Marx train set. I also collect Vintage Christmas Ornaments. Hope you enjoy the pics! Marc
I like those old looking Street Rods models you have in your second pic. I was collecting Muscle Machines for a while but a dispute happened (allegedly) with who I was purchasing them from (mostly Wal-Mart) and they quit carrying them.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=muscl...w=1280&bih=541

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
What year is that Monte? I had a 1975 and would love to have one again. But, after having 3 Mustangs and an old tractor, I realized I wasn't much of a mechanic!
It's a 74. My Dad bought it in 75 with around 12,000 miles on it. 350 4 barrel with dual exhaust. I got it for graduating grade 12 in 82 and sunk a pile of money into it before I went full in with a Pro Street conversion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 015 (Large).jpg (72.2 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 017 (Large).jpg (58.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 018 (Large).jpg (74.9 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 019 (Large).jpg (71.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 020 (Large).jpg (68.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 001 (Large).jpg (73.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002 (Large).jpg (72.3 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003 (Large).jpg (67.1 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by irv; 10-18-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
I tend to spend a lot of time alone when I am not working, so to relax, I really enjoy sewing.

I also really love breeding exotic moths, and putting the lotion in the basket.

Oh, I have to go, Precious is barking, and there is someone at the door.
Through a mutual friend I can confirm you spend a lot of time alone and use a lot of lotion.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Sean Sullivan

You are too funny.

Say, are you about a size 14?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Been scuba diving for 23+ years, see great things in great places with great people
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wreck.jpg (74.0 KB, 231 views)
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
Bourbon collector here
Me, too.
http://whiskeybent.net
Old 10-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Phil Garry

Well, as a toddler, I enjoyed saving Disney collectibles and toys in the early ‘70’s. By the mid ‘70’s, I had moved on to superheroes and comic books before deciding on sports collectibles from the late ‘70’s through the mid 2010’s. Most recently, I have gotten back into comic books on a very small scale along with related action figures. I also did some ice cream collectibles in between for a few years but eventually lost interest in that. I still do baseball but have been forced to sell most of my stuff in recent years to pay bills, etc.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Mark Arentsen

Default Apba

APBA. Replaying the 1955 season, but my replay has stalled because of my BB card collecting.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Don't really know if this counts, but before my achilles rupture I was addicted to playing golf. So relaxing and just you against the course.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Brendan Mullen

I don't have any other hobbies. ...This one takes all my time, however I do like to play competitive softball but not to the BruceinGA level.

Same here. Although I'm at the tail end of my career, I've had the chance to travel around the country and play ultra-competitive softball for one of the best sponsors around (who spares no expense). 3 more tournaments in Pittsburgh, California, and Vegas, and then done for 2017. Finally.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:28 AM
David Linardy

Default Other hobbies

Took up obstacle course (Spartans etc) racing 2 years back... lot of fun, and they got me in shape for my first marathon...

Best part is having my two biggest fans at every event to cheer me on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1990.jpg (78.3 KB, 217 views)
Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
[I] I've had the chance to travel around the country and play ultra-competitive softball for one of the best sponsors around (who spares no expense). 3 more tournaments in Pittsburgh, California, and Vegas, and then done for 2017. Finally.
Last month I played in Vegas in the 55 major nationals and also 65 major plus. Last weekend I played in Pensacola in the SPA Winternationals on a 60 major team and next month I'll be playing in Daytona at the ISSA Winternationals on 70 major plus team. The end of November I'll be in Cocoa Beach attending Softball Magazine's seniorsoftballcamp.com as a hitting instructor.
I just love the game!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:18 AM
octavio ranzola

collect vintage toys and antiques love it
Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Larrie Dean

Default Other hobbies!

Along with Ted and Steve B I have been a stamp collector, in my case for 65 years+! Although I have stamps from all over the world my major collection is of 19th century stamps and covers. I particularly enjoy Civil War covers (and letters), fancy cancels and "stampless covers". I am at the point in my life where I am beginning to sell portions of the collection. The first to be sold will be my collection of Lions stamps and covers...probably one of the most comprehensive in existing.

As a 45 years member of Lions international I also collect Lions International trading pins.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Brendan Mullen

Last month I played in Vegas in the 55 major nationals and also 65 major plus. Last weekend I played in Pensacola in the SPA Winternationals on a 60 major team and next month I'll be playing in Daytona at the ISSA Winternationals on 70 major plus team. The end of November I'll be in Cocoa Beach attending Softball Magazine's seniorsoftballcamp.com as a hitting instructor.
I just love the game!

That's great! Any WS rings? I'm lucky enough to have 2. I just got back from USSSA Worlds in Orlando. Came in 5th out of 121 (?) I believe.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Well, for starters, I collect classic Thunderbirds.
Here's my vintage(ish) T-bird:
Old 10-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I just love the game!

That's great! Any WS rings? I'm lucky enough to have 2. I just got back from USSSA Worlds in Orlando. Came in 5th out of 121 (?) I believe.
I have been on 15 or so national championship teams but only have a couple of rings. The one that I'm most proud of is my 55+ ISA MVP Senior national championship ring. I was selected mvp over teammate Bruce Meade.
Congrats on your 5th place finish out of 121! That's quite an accomplishment.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Whoa!

Quote:
Few other shots
Nice Books
Old 10-21-2017, 11:24 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
I just completed my second 32000 piece jigsaw puzzle. Took most of a year. This is a pic of the first one I finished. The second pic is the second puzzle. It’s an in process picture from before I finished the job.
Can you tell me your strategy? My son tried to do a 3,000 piece puzzle and i had to get a 4x8 piece of finished plywood for him to get the thing started. Only got about 1,000 pieces into it and was very difficult.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:14 AM
Jeff F0y

Cool thread!! I'm writing a musical with my son.