NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 AM
George E.

Default what to do with a trimmed card

I picked up an ebay lot the other day with Fisk rookie in it. Turns out that it was trimmed. What do I do with it?

If the seller does a return of my purchase I feel somewhat uncomfortable giving back a trimmed card that might get re-sold again as normal.

And if he just refunds part of my purchase (or refused to do anything about it), what do I do with a trimmed Fisk rookie? Keep it safe? Sell it as trimmed, knowing it could be resold again as legit?

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM

Maybe a candidate to be autographed at some point.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Robert Williams

Who exactly says it is trimmed? Does it looked trimmed to you? I would get a 2nd opinion if I were you. I had a 1934 Lou Gehrig card that one grading company claim was trimmed get authenticated as "not trimmed" by another grading company. Both companies are in the top 3 grading companies.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM
George E.

Well, in this case it looks pretty obvious. I put it over another 1972 card and it is significantly smaller both top-bottom and across. The most frustrating thing about the whole experience was that someone else pointed it out to me. It is definitely trimmed, and not even a good trim job.

To give an update, - the seller gave me a full refund and told me to keep the card, so that was pretty cool. A this point I suppose I'll just hold onto it and keep it out of the marketplace.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Robert Williams

Well, it is obviously real, just trimmed. Send it off to SGC and they will slab it and give it the "A" label. That was the card is protected. I recently sold a Clemente rookie that looked like a '6', but was trimmed for $350. It was graded in the above mentioned aspect by SGC.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:11 PM
George E.

Good idea, If I ever get an SGC order together I'll toss it in there.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Larry

I purchased a 1935 Diamond Stars Foxx in the early '90's raw, before grading really took hold, and it turned out to be trimmed. It had a NMt appearance, and I'd paid $400 for it at a Chicago area show. I kept it anyway, because I collect Foxx as one of my favorites. PSA agreed to slab it as "authentic, trimmed" in 2009, and it does look quite nice. It measures correctly, but upon closer examination of the edges with a loupe, you can see that it probably was put partially through a paper press, as the top two corners have a pinched appearance at the edges, then trimmed back to correct size. I prefer to keep it as part of my collection without regard to value. I really haven't been concerned with replacing it with a non-altered example.

Insofar as the Fisk is concerned, I really like the idea of eventually getting it autographed, then perhaps slabbed by PSA/DNA, but don't know what the cost of that service is. An autographed Fisk rookie would always be a neat item, with some value over time.

Robert, glad to hear you made out that well with the Clemente. Maybe my Foxx might eventually be worth what I paid for it!

Just my 2 cents, and hope this helps with your decision.

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-25-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
George E.

I am not fretting about it too much, I didn't pay much for it, and I got my money back anyway. It is curiosity about what to do with it now. Since I did get my money back I feel better about just holding on to it for 20+ years and seeing if a market develops for trimmed Fisks. I doubt it, since there are so many and still will be so many 20 years from now, but it will be cool to have in the ranks anyway. Ironically, this is the 2nd time I have been burned on ebay, and both times it was a Fisk rookie. The first was my fault for not reading the listing carefully, and the 2nd was the sellers fault, but an accident.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Get it autographed. I have Fisks address if you like...he signs for a charity for $60. Then get it slabbed and you've got a nice item!
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:10 PM
George E.

That would be a fun idea, but I don't have $60. Thanks for the offer of his address anyway.