NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Jon Canfield

Default Grandson to Yanks... Tigers/Arizona/Yanks 3-way Thoughts?

So - what are your thoughts on this "potential" deal [As of right now, it's on the verge but not official]. I think the Tigers get some good prospects, but not sure about the Yanks giving up Austin for Granderson. Not too disappointed to se Kennedy go to Arizona...
Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Barry Sloate

Granderson gives the Yanks immediate help, and he is only 28. Prospects are unpredictable; often they never pan out. I like the idea of the Yankees getting younger, and with a really fine talent. Matsui no longer plays the outfield, Damon's skills are waning, and Cabrera is inconsistent. I like the deal.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Rob Miller

I like the deal, especially if you can now sign Damon to a 2yr deal for him to play LF/DH and have Cabrera be your 4th OF and come in to LF for defense late in games.

I think the Jeter/Damon 1-2 punch really propelled them last year, and I hope that doesn't change. Granderson batting 7th or so should really help the Yanks as well as himself. Jackson might be good, but it doesn't seem like he is going to hit for any power. Kennedy and Coke are absolutely expendable.

Overall I think it is a low risk high reward deal for the Yanks.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Abraham Rudy

The deal could pay off if Granderson learns to hit Left-handed pitching. If he doesn't, Yankee fans will get sick of him in a week. I just hope they don't let Brett Gardner go. That guy has more heart than the rest of the Major Leagues combined.

ON the other hand, you can't really mourn the loss of a player who you never saw play. And it's not like solid-but-not-great middle relievers in the mold of Phil Coke are incredibly valuable. Besides, Coke became expendable when Marte decided during the World Series that he knows how to throw strikes after all. Kennedy, for all his potential, would never have made it in New York, although it wouldn't surprise me if, pitching to the NL, he flat-out dominates.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Scott

Default All the yankees moves.

I'll comment on Granderson and the other stuff all in one place, if thats ok.

I like the deal overall, from a Yankees fans perspective. He does K a lot, and needs to improve vs Lefties. But, added power, in his prime, etc. makes him a big plus. Coke wasnt a given, Jackson, hey, you take a gamble giving up prospects, its part of the game.

Id like to see Damon resigned, Him and Melky can play left field. Damon and Posada do the bulk of DHing and on days when Damon was in left, Posada DHing, they could put Melky in right, to give Swisher the days off. A lot of versatility there if it works out. Matsui is gone I think.

I like Jason Marquis as a 4th starter too, tho I wouldnt be shocked on Haliday. I dont think they will get Lackey.

Pettitte was a must and excellent move.

End of Bullpen next year, I can see it being Aceves. Robertson, Marte, Joba (I hope) and Mo. I'll take my chances with that setup.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I'll comment on Granderson and the other stuff all in one place, if thats ok.

I like the deal overall, from a Yankees fans perspective. He does K a lot, and needs to improve vs Lefties. But, added power, in his prime, etc. makes him a big plus. Coke wasnt a given, Jackson, hey, you take a gamble giving up prospects, its part of the game.

Id like to see Damon resigned, Him and Melky can play left field. Damon and Posada do the bulk of DHing and on days when Damon was in left, Posada DHing, they could put Melky in right, to give Swisher the days off. A lot of versatility there if it works out. Matsui is gone I think.

I like Jason Marquis as a 4th starter too, tho I wouldnt be shocked on Haliday. I dont think they will get Lackey.

Pettitte was a must and excellent move.

End of Bullpen next year, I can see it being Aceves. Robertson, Marte, Joba (I hope) and Mo. I'll take my chances with that setup.
Scott,

Don't forget Hughes in that bullpen mix.

- Jon
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Jon Canfield

And further - we still don't know what is to become of Wang. A return to the rotation?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Nick Edson

Default Everyone Wins

In my view, all 3 teams win - just some (Yankees) quicker than others (Tigers).
Old 12-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Rob Miller

I would hope that the Yankees would take another look at Hughes in the rotation. I do think Joba is best suited for the pen, however Hughes still looks like he has the make-up to be a successful SP.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Abraham Rudy

I don't think the Yankees will make a serious bid for Holliday. Look at his numbers. The guy hits .320 in the National League and then transitions to the American League and FLOPS. His average in half a year in the superior league was a full .40 points below his career average. And, not surprisingly, when he headed back to the NL and hit next to a guy like Pujols, his average jumped right back up. I don't see how that makes him attractive to an American League team, especially given his history in the field under pressure, and given the ask price a la Scott Boras.

Regarding Hughes, I think Cashman believes (and will always believe) that a pitcher is more valuable as a starter than as a reliever and will continue to try to get Hughes and Joba ironed out as starters. Furthermore, I watched every one of Hughes' appearances last year, and he was VERY much hittable towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. His strikeouts were way down towards the end of the year, and people were hitting the ball hard more and more often, because, as it turns out, you're not going to get by in the Major Leagues with just a plus fastball. You need off-speed stuff. And Hughes has off-speed stuff, and he has a starter's makeup. So there's no reason to use him as a set-up man when the team needs a starter.

David Robertson, on the other hand, is ideally suited to be a reliever. The guy has late life on his fastball that makes it seem like it's moving 5-7 mph faster. He has good location too. He has excellent potential and I think Eiland knows that (he spent a lot of time working with him one-on-one while Robertson was rehabbing from his injury at the end of the year. Expect to see more of him in 2010

Last edited by abrahamrudy; 12-14-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Abraham Rudy

It looks now like Halladay is going to Philadelphia and Lackey is going to Boston, according to ESPN insider. Looks like the Yankees aren't interested in acquiring 31+ year old pitchers. A surprising change of heart...